Need to get Hotcue State LEDs to stay on after pressing them on APC40 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Tech Guru

Hey guys,
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while, been kinda AWOL.
    I can confirm that I do not have any audio distortion problems, and I use "send monitor state" extensively. I use a mac.
    I can't speak about windows from experience, but I've read about problems with this command, and led output stuff in general. Not just with the APC, but also VCI, etc.
    The "send monitor state" command for me is really just a laziness thing, I use Bomes, so it's not a neccessity, but I just cant be bothered to translate what's happening in Traktor when I use that command into the mess of variables and rules I'd need in Bomes to duplicate the behavior. My Bomes file is crazy enough already.

JCribb, I think you've got the idea of how it works already. Though it might not be worth it for only a couple commands, if you get deep into the custom programming or run into walls with Traktor, I guarantee you will find that $90 to be the best deal in your rig.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Thanks for chiming in again Zac. Totally cool for you to continue keeping up with the dialogue on this thread.

I think Native Instruments should update the Traktor software to resend the Hotcue State for the individual button after every press of a button with a Select/Set Store Hotcue IN or Delete Hotcue command assigned to it. That only makes sense, IMO, since it seems like you would want to update the Hotcue State after you press the button, since you could be setting or deleting a hotcue, loop, etc. at any time.

The Send Monitor State IN command effectively sends ALL your outs every time you press a button with this command assigned to it. This is not efficient at all, and I can see how this is bogging down things on some (all?) Windows machines.

Still.......Those new Macbook Pros can't come soon enough.......

Tech Guru

Couldn't agree more. Feature request?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by JCribb View Post
    Brad-

Are you saying that you do NOT have any sound distortion issues when using the Send Monitor State IN?

Are you on a Mac or PC?

I was trying this on Windows 7, but I will give it a go on my other TinyXP 'Dj' partition. My Tiny XP partition is barebones. I doubt it will be any better, as I don't see any spikes on Windows 7 when using DPC Latency Checker, but i'll try it out on Tiny XP anyways.

I am using an older computer for the moment, a Dell 700M which is a Pentium M, 2.0Ghz, 2GB ram.

There ARE rumors floating that new Macbooks may come out at the end of this month.

We shall see.......
    don't use 'send monitor state' no need for it atm, but do have some led mapping later this week - we shall see...
    my issue was more down to windows/traktor getting bogged down in midi signals from controllers, which is similar to what you're seeing on the apc as it is sending 2 ins (one of which i believe is a pretty hefty in) and so the processing time would be causing the problem.
    complete strip back would give windows more headroom on processor and ram and so should (at very least) reduce the issue if not cure it. as most 'rice crispy' (snap/crackle/pop) issues can be traced back to system resources being overrun...

also, ran the dpc checker in my traktor boot, get a spike every 45 secs (despite heavy tweaking - maybe a tweak too far though?), but no issues when running - instant reaction from controller to traktor, no real lag for in/out and sound is very smooth. all which leads me to believe that rice crispys are not audio latency related, but general hardware/resource related.

note; ran dpc check a couple of months after tweaking windows and curing lags and stutters. until then i was oblivious to my latency, and as all works fine, not really worried tbh

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Student

Hi Zac, sounds like you use your APC40 exactly how i want to use mine.

I'm on a MAC, routing traktor pro through abelton using jackosx. I spent about 6 months messing about with bomes. I was so close to getting it working but had problems with weird LED confilcts.

I wanted to use the APC40 in handshake mode with ableton, but alos program a traktor mode by pressing the metronome button.

Would love to see your bomes template, do you have it working exactly how you want it

Cheers
    Joe

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by JCribb View Post
    I have been messing around with my APC40 for the last couple of days.

I am really struggling with the LED output. I understand the whole concept that the square pad buttons are momentary and that these buttons send themselves an LED off command of '0' after they are released.

I would like to be able to set up a pad to be a hotcue. When the APC40 first turns on, I would like it to be red. Then when I load a track, I would like it to turn green if there is a cue point saved on it. If there is no saved cue point, any subsequent pressing of this button will turn it green, since it is setting the cue point.

I tried using the Hotcue State, and this works great when you load the track, the cue will light up correctly. It's just that when you press it, the button goes dark on release, since it is sending itself that off message. Checking 'Invert' has no effect.

Has anyone been able to do this on their APC40?

I was tring to do this very thing and had the same problem. you need to put the apc40 in "dumb mode" before you start traktor by first turning on the apc40, then starting live, wait till the lights change then quit live. then start traktor. your apc will work a lot differently and do what you actually tell it to.

Tech Student

I'd like to get my hands on the tsi as well if its still around. Thanks much buzz
    Nojobber@gmail.com

Another LED question... I'm just trying to get something simple up and running quickly... I'm trying to divide the APC up logically using LEDs so it's easy to remember where the buttons are.

I have all the outputs set to Modifier 8 (Inverse.) I never use Modifier 8, so it's always off, so the "inverse" is then always true. Once I start pushing buttons, though, the LED's turn off.

Do I need to be assigning an inverse send monitor state command to every single button press to keep the LED's all on? I'm loathe to run in "dumb mode" that sounds like a crappy hack and not worthy of my baller new controller.

Ok, I figured it out... You have to make a new "send monitor state" mapping for each button you plan to use with an LED, but it has to be set to inverse, so it's sent *after* the button is pressed.

Default This works perfectly for LED outputs on matrix

APC40 cues

There are several threads relating to this on the forum, so for convenience I’ll put an example in. This gives a flashing red LED when a cue isn’t set and flashing green one when there is. For this the controller, the range min/max need to the same because of the ‘wide range’ of states for this function, as I mentioned earlier.

Set an OUT for ‘Hot Cue State [X]‘
    Assign it to the relevant note
    Set the controller range min/max both to -1 (cue in drop down list of advance panel)
    Set midi range min to 2 (green)
    Set midi range max to 4 (red)
    Uncheck invert and blend

midi range numbers: 1=solid green, 2=flashing green, 3=red, 4=flashing red, 5=amber, 6=flashing amber, 0=off pick which you want to use and hotcue loaded is the min hotcue not loaded is max values.

hope this helps took me ages to find it here:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/3...eds-in-traktor

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345