Need to get Hotcue State LEDs to stay on after pressing them on APC40 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

If the fx have outs assigned, they should jump to the correct position on startup and loading. As for eq/gain, you can set outputs that only activate in a certain modifier condition, so for example, a modifier could get turned on momentarily when you load a new track, or press play on a new track, briefly activating the modifier, which the outputs respond to and send the updated led info to the APC.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    If the fx have outs assigned, they should jump to the correct position on startup and loading. As for eq/gain, you can set outputs that only activate in a certain modifier condition, so for example, a modifier could get turned on momentarily when you load a new track, or press play on a new track, briefly activating the modifier, which the outputs respond to and send the updated led info to the APC.
    I can't get the LED rings/knobs working like this.

Dry/Wet Chained IN assigned to CC52
    Dry/Wet Chained OUT assigned to CC60

LED rings work correctly.

However, the LED ring and subsequent knob position does NOT update when you first turn on the unit, or when loading new effects.

So I close the Traktor software, and the Dry/Wet knob is at 100% and the LED ring around it shows 100%. Great.

Then I close the Traktor software and shut off the APC40. I then turn the APC40 back on and then open Traktor.

The LED ring is dark. It does not update to reflect the 100% on the Dry/Wet knob on the Traktor gui. If I turn the Dry/Wet knob, it snaps to 0% and the LED ring continues to light volume style as I turn the knob clockwise.

How are you getting your knobs and LED rings to update dynamically?

Tech Guru

Yeah, you still need an output assigned to the regular knob CC#. So if CC52 is an in, you need CC52 as an out too. I don't know how (and if) having the CC+8 thing outputting all the time will affect it. That's why I just have the CC+8 messages getting sent momentarily, like when I switch banks. If it doesn't screw anything up to have the CC+8 being sent all the time like you're doing, don't sweat it. But you definitely need additional output to the regular knob CC#. That should give you the dynamic updating you are looking for.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Yeah, you still need an output assigned to the regular knob CC#. So if CC52 is an in, you need CC52 as an out too. I don't know how (and if) having the CC+8 thing outputting all the time will affect it. That's why I just have the CC+8 messages getting sent momentarily, like when I switch banks. If it doesn't screw anything up to have the CC+8 being sent all the time like you're doing, don't sweat it. But you definitely need additional output to the regular knob CC#. That should give you the dynamic updating you are looking for.
    I tried using an OUT and IN for the CC52 knob, but now that I think about it, I think I had the OUT on the CC52 set with a Midi Range of 2 to 2, so I guess that explains why the knob wouldn't move!

I'll give it a go tonight.

By the way, I think that after I get this thing working the way I want, I am going to make a new post with all this information compiled into it. I think there are more than a few people out there that want to use the APC40 with Traktor, so I think a post like that would be beneficial, and would at least serve as a guide for myself...

I personally bought the APC40 primarily for Traktor because it had tons of buttons and knobs. I figured at some point I would start using Ableton more too, so I figured it would be the best controller to serve double duty. I'm glad it's turning out that way.

Tech Wizard

It's looking real good now. I've got this thing lighting up like a Christmas tree now. Most excellent.

Weird about the EQ section being buggy with the outputs - When I try to set the Filters with OUTS, the knobs react unpredictably. Oh well, I just need to make sure to check them all to make sure they are all centered when I first turn on Traktor. I wonder if this bug has been reported to NI?

This controller surface is really great IMO. I am now really glad I bought it over the VCI-100.

Tech Wizard

I spoke too soon.

I am having major issues with ANY buttons that have a Send Monitor State IN assigned to them. When I press a button with a Send Monitor State IN, the audio distorts and slows down.

For example, I will have a track playing on Deck A, and then as I hit the Hotcue 1 button (which has a Send Monitor State IN assigned to it to get the LED working 'smartly') repeatedly and you can hear the sound slow down and warp and distort.

It seems like a read other APC40 users were having this issue also when using the Send Monitor State IN.

Any suggestions?

Tech Guru

Interesting. Are you on Windows? I've heard about this, but it doesn't happen on my rig so I don't know what to say. (I'm on Mac). Maybe it's time for Bome's? I've heard the rerouting can solve led out/distortion problems on Windows...

Wish I knew more about it.

Mixcloud DJ Sets

as the question is pretty much answered (with a few glitches here and there), maybe this should be added to the faq?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Interesting. Are you on Windows? I've heard about this, but it doesn't happen on my rig so I don't know what to say. (I'm on Mac). Maybe it's time for Bome's? I've heard the rerouting can solve led out/distortion problems on Windows...

Wish I knew more about it.
    Yes, I am on Windows..... for the moment.

I have been ready to buy a Macbook Pro since last December. I have been patiently waiting for the 'new' line to come out with the I7 processors... Any day now Apple!!

Since this major function of getting the LEDs working on the APC40 is not working on Windows, I guess you know what my next question is.....

Can you give me a Bomes example of how I can 'capture' the LED off command that the APC40 is sending and then echo back the correct LED state I am expecting to turn it back on?

this how i managed it on my mates apc40

In;
    Select/Set+Store Hot Cue
    set to hotcue number

Send Monitor State
    invert on

Out;
    Hot Cue State [x]
    Controller range @ -1 for min and max
    Deck A and C - midi range at 3 (min) and 4 (max)
    Deck B and D - midi range at 5 (min) and 5 (max)
    invert and blend off

This made the LEDs flash when no Hot Cue present, and solid when there is, decks A and C are in red, B and D in orange

Also did them vertically, so first 2 columns are A, next 2 are B etc...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast