Need to get Hotcue State LEDs to stay on after pressing them on APC40 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    So what do you want to do, in a nutshell?
    I want 'intelligent' Hotcue LED indicators.

I want my hotcue pads to be all red when I first turn on the APC40 and load Traktor.

When I load a track, I want the hotcue pad to light up green, if there is a cue in that spot. I want that button to STAY green after I press it.

When I hit one of the red hotcue pads that doesn't have a cue associated it, it gets set and should turn to green. I want that button to STAY green after I press it.

When I load a new track, all the hotcues should re-initialize to either red or green, depending on how many cuepoints are set on that track.

That would be pretty cool if you can get something that works like this going for me. If not, no big deal! I've about given up on anything on the APC40 fancier than just being lit or flashing a certain color!

Just got this working on my LPD8. Assign these commands to the respective button and LED and you will have the "intelligent" hotcues you describe. I've been wanting to do this forever! Done completely with Traktor, no BOMES needed.

IN
    Select/Set+Store Hotcue
    Type: Button
    Interaction: Hold
    Assignment: Deck A
    Set to value: Hotcue 1
    (set to the button midi value)

IN
    Send Monitor State
    Interaction: Trigger
    Invert YES

OUT
    Hotcue 1 State
    Type: LED
    Interaction: Output
    Invert NO
    Blend YES
    Controller and Midi range will have to be set for your specific device on this command.

(set to the LED midi value)
    Last edited by djstormeagle; 03-25-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djstormeagle View Post
    Just got this working on my LPD8. Assign these commands to the respective button and LED and you will have the "intelligent" hotcues you describe. I've been wanting to do this forever! Done completely with Traktor, no BOMES needed.

IN
    Select/Set+Store Hotcue
    Interaction: Hold
    Set to value: Hotcue 1

IN
    Send Monitor State
    Interaction: Trigger
    Invert YES

OUT
    Hotcue 1 State
    Invert NO
    Blend YES
    Controller and Midi range will have to be set for your specific device on this command.

(set to the LED midi value)
    SOLD.

This works!

Excellent.

I changed my Hotcue1 State around a little bit to work the way I want it to where it is solid red if no cue exists, but solid green if the cue does exist in the slot. A solid red will also turn solid green when a cue is set. It will also go back to red if the cue is deleted. Solid.

OUT
    Hotcue 1 State
    Invert YES
    Blend YES
    Controller range: -1 to 0
    Midi range: 1 to 3

I guess what I was missing was the fact that the 'Send Monitor State' has to be an IN and not an OUT.

The djtechtools forum pulls through again.....thanks for the assistance djstormeagle and zac.

Now my next question -

How can I get the LED rings to light up volume or pan style?

When I output the LED for a knob using a midi range of 2 to 2 (which is supposed to activate volume style), the LED ring freaks out and I can't get the knob to turn.

What is the trick for this?
    Last edited by JCribb; 03-25-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Tech Guru

Cool. Glad you got it to work! That's what I was saying about the send monitor state needing to be an IN. As for the knobs, the message you need to send the APC is a one time thing, so you just need to figure out what button(s) you hit when you need the rings to change. That button will send an output message. Remember I said the CC# you need to send is the the CC# of the knob plus 8, so for example, the knob that is normally CC10 would be CC18. The range 01-03 initializes the behavior.

So don't have that knob assigned with an output of CC+8, have a button send an output to the knob's CC+8. Does that make sense?

As an aside that you may run into - I've noticed something weird about Traktor output commands vs. the APC. If you have outputs assigned normally to the knobs: that will work fine with fx outputs, but the APC doesn't handle outputs from Gain/Eq right. This may be a Traktor bug. So the take away is that if you can avoid having Gain/Eq have an output, do it. The Fx should be good, and you can put that to good use by using the APC's bank memories (track selection buttons) for various fx units. Remember too, that you want the leds to update when you change banks, so assign regular outputs to the knobs you use in each bank.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Cool. Glad you got it to work! That's what I was saying about the send monitor state needing to be an IN. As for the knobs, the message you need to send the APC is a one time thing, so you just need to figure out what button(s) you hit when you need the rings to change. That button will send an output message. Remember I said the CC# you need to send is the the CC# of the knob plus 8, so for example, the knob that is normally CC10 would be CC18. The range 01-03 initializes the behavior.

So don't have that knob assigned with an output of CC+8, have a button send an output to the knob's CC+8. Does that make sense?

As an aside that you may run into - I've noticed something weird about Traktor output commands vs. the APC. If you have outputs assigned normally to the knobs: that will work fine with fx outputs, but the APC doesn't handle outputs from Gain/Eq right. This may be a Traktor bug. So the take away is that if you can avoid having Gain/Eq have an output, do it. The Fx should be good, and you can put that to good use by using the APC's bank memories (track selection buttons) for various fx units. Remember too, that you want the leds to update when you change banks, so assign regular outputs to the knobs you use in each bank.
    Zac, this works great as well. Thanks again.

Now I just need to figure out a 'one-time' button to initialize this. I'd like for all LED rings to just initialize once when I first open up Traktor (without having to press a button). Any ideas on how I can do this? Through Bomes using a one time if check or something? Can you give me an example of how you are using Bomes with the APC40? I'm really starting to like the APC40 now with Traktor!

Tech Guru

Yeah, actually I've gotten really into it too, after months of mapping, testing live, throwing things out, remapping, etc. Once you get something that works really well for you, the APC's massive amount of controls really starts to shine.

As for your question, with Bomes it's cake. You can set up translators that execute when the project is opened, and that's that. As for Traktor, I'd just set up say, the play button on deck A to send the ring data. It's not a lot of info to clog up midi traffic, and the APC doesn't react visually if it already received it, so what the hell. Otherwise, how about a seldom used key on your keypad?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

Sorry, forgot the "how I use Bomes +APC" part.
    I use a hybrid setup I developed that uses Traktor in conjunction with the "handshake" being maintained in Live. So, I use a shift state to toggle between the APC surface controlling only Traktor, to controlling only Live, but with some functionality kinda cross pollinating between the two. Since I maintain the handshake, (that was a bitch to figure out) Live updates the APC automatically when in the Live layer. Everything comes from the controller, goes through Bomes, and is sent to the respective applications.

So the general work surface is toggling between 4 Traktor decks, and 4 Live Tracks, but the volume controls are dedicated. The Master channel fader controls the level of this drum machine style rack I'm building in Live (not done yet, but I'm getting pretty excited about how it's going!) Its basically this mega rack that scrolls through full drum kits, and 16 apc pads send the notes to bang out patterns on the fly. Then I just hit record on an empty track and get my loops on. (Honestly though, I'm still trying to figure out if this function even works for me in terms of a live flow).

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Thanks again Zac. Things are starting to come together, slowly, but they are coming together.

Edit:

I was finally able to figure out my next question:

How do you get the APC40 toggle buttons, such as the Solo/Cue buttons, to act as momentary or trigger like? I am trying to use them for loop ins and outs and I have to keep pressing them several times to react, dependent upon the on or off position of the button.
    Last edited by JCribb; 03-27-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Tech Guru

I have to think back, to my pre-bomes tsi... Don't quote me on it, but try setting the buttons to hold for trigger functionality? As for the leds, it's tricky, since the apc is naturally turning leds on and off in a toggle fashion. Again, you might try setting outputs and using the inverted send monitor state IN to update on button release. Keep Traktor in mind tho - things like loop in are always going to be a trigger no matter what, so there's no point trying to make a toggling led, etc. And it took me a while to decide on how I wanted to handle loops visually. I decided the best method for me was to set loop in as a trigger, loop out as a toggle, where after I have set a loop, pressing out again just deactivates the loop, but the loop stays where it was so I can jump back to it later, and a separate loop activate toggle button - so if im coming up to a loop I can just activate it without having to set in and out again. The loop out button just turns off Active along with the Active led if a loop has already been set. My system just leaves the loop in and out leds on all the time, while the activate toggle led changes accordingly.

For the fx (device ctrl) buttons, the top row acts as toggles, and the bottom are triggers in the apc's default state. So they have to be programmed differently to act the same way. I'm not going to kid you, it was a total bitch trying to sort those out, esp with changing fx, but it can be done.

Let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by Zac Kyoti; 03-27-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Alright, I was able to get the Loop Set/Loop Out buttons to work by setting both the in's and out's to invert.

The Beatjump forward/backward buttons needed an invert on the Out.

I don't know why I couldn't figure it out earlier, but thanks.

Good to go for now.

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that the knobs are always in the 0 position whenever you turn on the APC40. It seems you have to turn them to get them where they were before, or use soft takeover. It would be nice if, when you load up a new set of effects, that the knobs and rings initialize to what is set on the screen immediately. Is this possible?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast