Recommended netbooks for Traktor DJing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

to the best of my knowledge, all netbooks are basically the same under the hood, save for a few 'shiny bits' which that particular oem has chosen to put in, i.e, bluetooth, 3g, wi-fi etc...

but they all run on a very similar spec (1gb ram, 1.6ghz processor - some are 1.3, but meh) with the OS choice being XP sp3 or 7 home starter, so just pick one you like the look of and buy 2.

simples

EDIT:
    obviously HDD space comes into the cost, but i'm yet to see one rocking the ion graphics card, my nettop (used as media center/server) has one of those, and apart from that is identical in spec to my wifes netbook - both run win 7 home premium
    Last edited by BradCee; 03-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Don't wanna go into the Macbook thing here too much. Mine works fine and never failed on me during a set. I am pretty sure There's a lot of windows machines out there that work just as well. Just don't get the cheap discount crap laptop with bad drivers, and you're probably fine. But - let's face it - netbooks ARE mostly cheap crap. I have one, and I had two others before it (EEE 701 and MSI Wind). They're nice as portable typewriters and internet machines, maybe even for watching a few videos. But I wouldn't recommend one for serious DJing for a few reasons.

An Atom processor is pretty much on the edge when you use traktor. It works, but it uses a lot of the available CPU power. That means heat, and in a hot and possibly humid club environment, going on the edge power- and heatwise is a bad idea.

The display of a ten inch netbook is just too small. I mean, look at djgee's picture above. Yes, you can fit two players and most if not all vital controls on the screen, but look at the size of the playlist.

If you go for a 11.6 incher, the size benefits compared to a standard 13 inch notebook are almost gone. Same goes for price. I mean, as long as you don't need the most up to date tech, a 13 or 15 inch notebook isn't much more expensive, maybe even cheaper than some 11.6'' netbooks.

Yeah, It may be fun to make a netbook work with your DJ setup - but for the sole purpose of making it work. The "because I can"-attitude is what should matter.

Djgee: Yeah I'm actually going for a 11.6 inch.

Right now I'm looking at: HP Pavilion dm1-1101

Intel Celeron SU2300 1.2GHz
    Upgradeable to 5 GB ram.
    320 gb harddrive @7200 rpm.
    Price: 500 euro.

It even comes with an external dvd, not that I ever use it but still.

Jimbob: Thanks for your extensive feedback. The processor heating was one thing I did not consider, thanks. But you miss my point about the size. 15 inch is out of the question, 13 inch is at least 800 euro... oops, spoke to soon. I found some at around 500 euro, which would be the same thing. Very good, thanks. I will keep this in mind.
    Emil Beatsnatcher Brikha | www.LQP.se | Dell XPS M1330 (2.1 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram), Traktor Pro 2.03, Novation Twitch.

Tech Mentor

here are some for you to think about (all 13" and from european stores):

http://geizhals.at/eu/a417056.html
    http://geizhals.at/eu/a502064.html

first one would be my recommendation...strong cpu, enough ram, decent display resolution and the price is killer!
    Stanton SCS3 System

Tech Wizard

Yeah make sure your netbook has a big enough native resolution.

I am using a lenovo ideapad s12 and haven't had performance issues. It meets the requirements.
    Also people talking about macbooks, stop being so zealous for no damn reason.
    They are expensive as hell for the pure computer you are getting. So unless you're buying it because you have a crap ton of cash and love apple's design (they do design their products nicely), this is a bad purchase.

Has anyone been zealous about Macbooks in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by djgee View Post

This is a Samsung NC10 running Traktor Pro. I haven't tried layer 3-4 effects per deck yet or anything, but from the get go, I'm able to use the keylock, filter and I have my latency settings down to 5.5ms. It's got 2GB of RAM running WinXP SP3 and I have WIFI and BT turned off(obviously). I'm gonna see if I can get some vids up too.
    Sorry mate but just the resolution on that is pretty hard to work with...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

i was.....im the biggest mac fan boy in teh world!

Key point of thread was 13" suggestion...netbooks are great for their intended purpose but imo too under powered for dj/audio software

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob5000 View Post
    Has anyone been zealous about Macbooks in this thread?
    I've not been zealous... but the man is talking about getting 2 identical netbooks!!! 2!!!

I'm not going to debate mac vs pc cause that has been done to death...

But this is 1 x Macbook vs 2 x Netbooks.

Yes Mac's are pretty but frankly even if they were ugly as sin the OS is more stable than Windows. As a live performance tool i want stability.

You're talking about a professional bit of kit here. Would you skimp on your turntables or mixer or controller?

Why skimp on the very heart and brain and stomach of your digital set up when you can afford not to (2 x NETBOOKS!!!!?)

This macbook is £849 or 947.92 euros. Surely about the same price as any 2 x half decent netbooks.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzMzg

It simply doesn't make sense to me.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Okay, look, if we're just going to talk computer vs computer then I can get a same specs PC as the mac for half the price, so still be able to buy two.

Yes, I want to have two because 2 is the new black.
    Emil Beatsnatcher Brikha | www.LQP.se | Dell XPS M1330 (2.1 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram), Traktor Pro 2.03, Novation Twitch.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast