Mapping a button to start loop
    Tech Guru

Default Mapping a button to start loop

For my equipment I'm using Traktor Scratch Pro and a Numark Total Control I plan on picking up an Akai LPD8 soon which is what I would map this to next but I want to do it now on my TC if anyone has anywhere they can point me to that would be awesome thanks alot
    I'm really looking for a an overall guide to start me on remapping my controller but my main focus tonight is to get a shift+button style mapping to start an eight and/or a 4 beat loop at the current point anyone have any idea how I would write that

I'll give this a go mate *deep breath*

Ok to set a loop up for one button this is what ya gotta do

Set to the same button:

- One Command for "Loop Active"
    - One Command for "Loop In/Set Cue"
    - One Command for "Loop Size/Set" (Set to a value of "8" in your case)

This way with one button you can drop an 8 beat loop instantly
    Now if you want that same button to drop a 4 beat loop with a modifier, try this:

- Set up your modifier, e.g "Modifier 1"
    - Add "M1=0" to the "Loop Size/Set" command you have set up for the first loop.
    - Add another "Loop Size/Set" command, same button, but this time set the length to "4" and in the modifier section, add "M1=1"

It sounds more complicated than it is but hope this helps you a bit
    Last edited by Jester; 04-17-2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Thanks alot I had figured out how to do it and I thought I had edited the post to say that thanks for the info thou I am still learning all the mapping code but I have a little background in computer coding so it does help. If anyone has any links to a real definitive guide or a wiki or something that really goes in depth on mapping or even just shows some examples of different ways you can get a controller to do things and what not. My next project once I get a little more background in all this is to try and map out a way to hit a certain button combo or a single button say 2 times in a row to change it so I may control the crossfader, pitch and jog wheel for effects much like in the video's posted on this wonderful website. I'm not sure if I would like to control my effects that way but I would love to give it a try to simply be able to code that into the mapping would be a something to be more than proud at least for me anyways

Thanks again guys all the info everyone on this site has been giving me has been great and again please feel free to PM any more info that really goes in depth on mapping or just post it here thanks

Tech Mentor

Read the traktor manual front to back. You don't need to remember it word for word but NI drop a couple of tips here and there, and simplying reading through give a good idea of what everything is.

Apart from that this forum and blog are probably the only active place for doing complex multi modifier mappings.

Probably the best way to learn though is to do. You can (a) start from scratch and buld your own mapping (I've done this twice and found it a waste of time). (b) find someone else's mapping and learn how it works then strip it back and rebuild it the way you want. This can save a lot of time with the tedious stuff like setting all the play/pause faders and LEDs (god I hate LEDs damh you Vestax and not using the same note on the button and LED).

O and don't forget to save incrementally and if your messing around your bound to break something

Tech Guru

Thanks a lot remote that has helped so much. Everything I have been doing now has been a total Trial/Error and so far hasn't been to bad I'll take your advice on the using other mappings and thanks

Tech Student

I own a Total control and have been trying so hard to remap things around. incidently I came across a website of Numark's which said that TC's midi mappings are permanently set and can't be changed??? that's ridiculous, i have still tried to change the midi mappings after that but all I got was half luck. I'm not going to give up tho, haha, will still try and figure it out. if you do, let me know

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djphoenix View Post
    I own a Total control and have been trying so hard to remap things around. incidently I came across a website of Numark's which said that TC's midi mappings are permanently set and can't be changed??? that's ridiculous, i have still tried to change the midi mappings after that but all I got was half luck. I'm not going to give up tho, haha, will still try and figure it out. if you do, let me know
    I think they mean you can't change what midi code the Total control sends out. That's not a problem though since you can change what Traktor does when it receives those midi codes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x