Looking for real bouncy kick drum samples - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

A little bit of the right kind of distortion can make a kick sound much louder and brighter. I tend to use Ableton's Saturator effect on drums along with some compression and reverb. Some other kinds of distortion might color the sound too much (I wouldn't use an overdrive or fuzz kind of distortion effect unless you're doing Gabber), but a little bit of soft distortion / soft clipping just fattens the sound up a bit.

^^^ I was gonna say... the first thing I thought of when I read distort the kick drum was hardstyle/gabber....

When I was a nub, I used to just use reverb to get that kind of sound, which sounded fine on my little computer speakers, but play it on anything with bass response and you've got a giant mess.

@Dodge: I guess my best option would be to layer kicks. I could just EQ the one with a higher freq range and eliminate all the bass out of it and then add a little reverb...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

thanx dubs,so balance the 3 parts of the kick so they fit,then add stuff like reverb(again i've read that it's not the normally done thing to add it to kicks)then saturation,then compression or do i compress them all seperate.i'm asking because this forum has made me want to have a go but i only have ableton and a handful of efx plug ins.i've only read magazines about this stuff and am only repeating what i've read so apologies if i'm sounding like an arris mate just trying to get an idea before i delve in.

i also thought tube or valve compressor would be saturating the sound a little?
    Last edited by calvin01; 03-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Tech Convert

There's no real set formula, so I'd just try some things out I doubt it would make a huge difference whether your compress them separately or not. You're right a tube or vale compressor will saturate the sound a little, so you might skip saturation if you're using a tube compressor. Also, what Lambox said is right, you have to be careful using reverb on things with a lot of bass so you might want to only apply reverb to the higher frequency layers. Things can get muddy fast with reverb on bass. Some reverbs also have a high pass filter built in for that reason.

like the key to a nice winter outfit; layering is definitely a good method (as others have mentioned) but also keep in mind, its all gonna be a little different once you put it into the mix w/ all your other parts...

a good mix down will also help in getting things bouncy, as is swing and side chain compressing.

there's a lot of quality samples in the Vengeance packs. something for everyone i think
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

I haven't heard the video... but most of the time the secret to a good kick is compression/expansion/gates/sidechain and the bass.

How those tree elements interact together (kick + bass + dynamics) is the real secret of pros. When I say dynamics I also mean multiband compressors.

Sometimes there are 2 basses. One very deep that is opened with a sidechain when the kick hits, and another one less deep that is more melodic. It gives the illusion of a deep kick, when in fact it's just the bass...

Everyone is right here.

You do need to start with a good sample
    (Vengence Sound Packs are great as is the XFER disc)

Layer a few kicks you like, perhaps a bit of a snare for your liking.

Then EQ to Taste and Compress em into a nice bouncy kick.

If you're not to savy at this, watch some vids on youtube that explain it, and try to make a few of your own and repeat until you find something you like.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    How those tree elements interact together (kick + bass + dynamics) is the real secret of pros. When I say dynamics I also mean multiband compressors.
    Yeah

I've got hundreds of kick drum samples and sometimes I can just scroll through all of them without finding a single one I like. Every time that has happened to me, it was because my reference track (the one that made me go oooohhh I wanna dooo thaaat) had everything else in it too - bass, percs, lead, it had been mastered, everything compressed. So I was basically trying to make soup from a stone and I really needed to look at my track before fiddling with the kick.

Imo, half the juice in the kick is in everything BUT the kick

btw jesus those girls are hot
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    So I was basically trying to make soup from a stone
    never heard that expression, i like it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12