Need M4L patch feedback - Bento's EQ / Filter / Gater / Volume Fader Curve - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

According to this thread on the cycling 74 forums it cant yet be done, but will be an option down the track

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=23509

So until then my built in midi learn approach seems to be the best approach to pulling this off it seems.

Tech Mentor

Cool, i'll go and get it....

Cheers
    D

Quote Originally Posted by S4racen View Post
    Cool, i'll go and get it....

Cheers
    D
    Feedback is very much welcome, hope you like the patch - personally i think its very very very useful

Tech Mentor

Feedback time.....

I love it!

Kills work superbly and the three bands work very well.... I love the way the filter can be adjusted although for me the knob works in reverse to my way of thinking?

Not sure on the volume gater though, it works don't get me wrong but how do you get it to stay on once you've held it down....

Are you happy for me to tinker??

Cheers
    D

The gater is a bit tricky it works like this -

Hold down the gate button, the audio stays at the same level of audio where the volume fader currently is.

As you hold the gate button you drop the fader to your desired cut level.

Now release the button and it jumps down to the level of the fader all of a sudden.

Press the button again and it will volume will jump right back to the original level of the audio. Keep doing this for a while and cut some stuff up.

Now you want to bring your volume back up and finish playing your track without constantly having to hold the button -While holding the gate button down, bring your fader back up, now release the gate and it will return to the audio level of the fader.

Then rinse and repeat when you wanna cut up a track with gates again.

And yeah i was going to reverse the knob so its the same as Traktor, i have been meaning to change that, i just havent got around to it yet

Feel free to twink away with it if you like, thats what max is all about !

If you dont already have me on skype add me my username is bent0san and im online now
    Last edited by BentoSan; 02-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Turns out the live.object isnt really that great for controling the volume level - i was experiencing problems where if i dropped the fader really fast the ableton fader wouldnt also drop to 0 which was quite annoying. Funny thing is first i thought it was my faders giving way, until i cleaned them good and propper and the problems continued - then i noticed that it wasnt a dirty fader issue and was a problem with the live.object object

To work around this i have decided to instead use the live.remote object which so far i have had no problems with

Tech Mentor

Live object is generally only good for toggle or momentary controls, I've replaced all knob controls with live remotes, only challenge us that it frets out the control you assign it too disabling any other midi mapping, and then there's the non recording of the automation....

Have you looked at putting the filter graphs and crossovers in a floating patcher sp you don't have to go into edit mode to access them?

Cheers
    D

Quote Originally Posted by S4racen View Post
    Have you looked at putting the filter graphs and crossovers in a floating patcher sp you don't have to go into edit mode to access them?

Cheers
    D
    Yeah i was going to do this i just havent got around to it yet - will do soon though

The next version is out and sent out to all interested parties !
    Hit me up a PM with your email if you wanna try it out and haven't yet received a copy !
    The changes are purely cosmetic at this stage, instead of the filter customisation curves being hosted in the max window you can now access them off a floating window - no need to open up the max editor to make adjustments This also means the graphs are much bigger for much much easier editing of the curve.

I still need to edit the second patch with the volume curve / gater to look more cosmetically pleasing then ill send that out to everyone who is interested.

Added 2 new features tonight

- Custom resonance curve: now you can customize the sound of your filter even further to create a truly personal sounding filter. There is the option to turn on and off this function so those that like having a resonance knob on a separate knob are not left out.

- Custom gain curve: someone reported having to adjust the volume a bit throughout their filter sweep (probably due to a high resonance value being used) - so i added in the option of a custom volume curve so you can cater for the increase in volume with high resonance. This will also allow you to have the filter cut out to a full volume kill at the extreme high and low positions if you would like your filter to have that effect - personally i do not do this as i find it a bit easy to accidentally cut out the sound completely when your going crazy with the filter knob, but the option is there for those users who like this function (users of Torq will be used this functionality).

Apart from this there has been a bit of a clean up of the interface which makes the whole patch a lot easier to use.

The new patch will be sent out when i have had enough time to make some presets for it - hopefully sometime tonight, if not then hopefully sometime this weekend..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast