VCI-300 or Numark Mixdeck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-300 or Numark Mixdeck?

Hi guys,

I want to get into laptop DJing, and I need some equipment. I have very basic experience mixing CDs, but I have all my music on my computer now and I really want to use my laptop.

I've looked briefly at Traktor Duo and Serato Itch, but not enough to really get a feel for which one I like better, although they seem very similar. Which program is best in terms of managing large music collections and finding songs quickly?

I also need a all in one controller that will seamlessly integrate with the software. I will be doing mostly mixing and playing around with looping, scratching etc., but I won't be using a ton of effects etc.

I stopped by Guitar Center the other day and the salesman really recommended the Numark Mixdeck. I like it because of its versatility, and it seems to have everything that I need. However, after reading this I became slightly hesitant due to concerns about Numark quality.

The author of that post mentions the Vestax VCI-300 as a better alternative. Although more expensive and with less features. Is it a better product than the Mixdeck?

Any input on software and hardware choice here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Tech Mentor

I would browse ebay for a vci-300.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    I would browse ebay for a vci-300.
    Because it is a better product all around?
    I've heard great things about it, but I feel it limits me with its Itch only compatibility and no inputs for other audio sources. The VCI doesn't even have LCD screens. Are you relying on the laptop screen for all info such as BPM mapping etc. I assume then?

The VCI 300 will work with traktor, if you're worried about Itch limiting you...But like you said, you won't really being using too many effects anyways, so I don't think running serato will really limit you at all, in fact it will probably be better for you. In case you were wondering about how well the 300 will work with traktor here's a little video I found
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdKFP...eature=related

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    The VCI 300 will work with traktor, if you're worried about Itch limiting you...But like you said, you won't really being using too many effects anyways, so I don't think running serato will really limit you at all, in fact it will probably be better for you. In case you were wondering about how well the 300 will work with traktor here's a little video I found
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdKFP...eature=related
    Super cool, thanks. Is Itch a good program? Is it good at navigating large music collections? Doesn't it suck to have no BPM readout on the VCI 300?

Quote Originally Posted by Axman84 View Post
    Doesn't it suck to have no BPM readout on the VCI 300?
    If you get a decent laptop stand it's actually nicer to have it displayed on your laptop closer to eye level. One it's better for your back, and two it's keeping your attention directed towards your audience and not bent over squinting at a small display ...and even if you're just a bedroom DJ, it's nice to have a laptop stand anyway, its sort of like when you're learning qwerty, you eventually don't really have to look down so much.

In regards to Itch, I have never really done more than played around a little bit, so I can't really offer much in that department

Tech Guru

i wouldn't get the mixdeck. Ive read some pretty bad reviews from users on the NI traktor forum.

The VCI is a solid piece of equipment. Obvioulsy on this site the VCI-100 + Traktor is the bread and butter. You should download some demo's. I know you can download Itch for free and use a single deck on your computer. At least you can see what the program will look like on your computer - you can always add the effects controller later on.

Tech Convert

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the input.

Although slightly more expensive than what I'm in the market for, I've briefly looked at Numark NS7 and A&H Xone DX as well.

I think they offer more functionality than I would need (ability to control four decks for example), but they look like very high quality products.
    Would they be an alternative for me? What do they bring to the table that I'm missing out on with the VCI 300 or Mixdeck?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Well if you're the looking to scratch the xone dx is out because it doesn't have touch sensitive jog wheels. The NS7 is an amazing piece of kit, and I have a ton of fun every time I play on one, it is a bit expensive but I think it's worth it if you're serious about starting scratching. The NS7 doesn't offer more than you would need, instead it just offers a really high quality vinyl emulation, which is the reason it cost so much. I happened to stumble upon this video of the mixdeck which makes me think it wouldn't really be good for doing any scratching (the sound is awful). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKq8q...eature=related . Another route you could take would be looking into getting a couple turn tables, a mixer, and something like serato scratch live or traktor scratch pro which enable you to control your music on your computer with real turntables. If you check out craigslist or ebay it's really easy to find quality turntables for cheap, with the economy and all. If you're not interested in having all that equipment, I would go with the vci 300 or the ns7.

If you want to scratch then go for Itch & the 300 - it's awesome, the nearest to decks I've played with
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast