Television is the devil - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

laziness, procrastination and preoccupation are the devil... tv is just a tool. i chucked mine out years ago. theyre good if ya like xbox or ps tho :P
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    france might also partially ban muslim face veils for women.

I would like to say i wrote that comment back to europe tongue in cheek....sadly IMO america has moved away from the alot of the tenants that separated new world from old world....the do gooders, purtians, and planners for "the people" followed in the second or third ship over...
    Tongue in cheek is one thing but i recall this "Europe is a fascist state" crap on this forum before.
    Anyone who lives in America who actually think its the home of the free and the brave is seriously misguided. You guys are the most censored, watched, listened to, spied on citizens in a Western Democracy. American government has been paranoid for a long long time. They aint just watching the Russians, and the Chinese they are watching YOU.

Freedom isnt just about Freedom to do stuff. Its about Freedom from stuff.
    Its called Positive and Negative Freedom.

Freedom from interference from others and the state is worth just as much as freedom to do what you want which is the kind of naive freedom people (especially the young cry out for).

All the crap i read about the Nanny State and Left Wing commie protectionism is nonsense.

BTW: France has not banned the burqas or niqabs. It is discussing it and the reason is not on the grounds of Muslim hate. It is because the French National Assembly claims that:

“It's a symbol of the subjugation of women.”

Im not saying its right or wrong but i am saying that you need to be a little more careful when addressing such a sensitive subject.
    According to the BBC out of 5 Million Muslims in France only 2,000 wear the Burqua. So it could be argued that most of those women dont want to wear it? Who knows, certainly not you or me.

I think that all Western Countries could do a lot to learn from each other. Im certainly not saying that the UK is the most free place to live but at least we are aware of it. All this land of the Free stuff in the US is mind boggling. Just like the "land of hope and glory" bollocks is in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Rar, you took all that a bit personal didn't you mate!? Why all the attacks? Is it cos I quoted you or something? You must have failed to read the bit that says what people wanna watch is up to them, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else watches. Mate, don't let me stop you watching what ever you wanna watch. Like I pointed out, I was talking about how I feel towards TV on my own personal level at the moment, how you feel is totally up to you. I'm not trying to oppress my opinions on to anyone like they are fact or anything, I am mearly expressing my thoughts.
    And no I didn't go to Eton, I haven't even been to uni. I'm just a London kid. I don't exactly speak the queens English which highlights the fact that if a regular London boy notices how bad the English language is on TV then something must be wrong with the direction the language is going.
    Not being funny but you need to chill out man, it's just an internet forum. No need to start getting personal.
    Well you did quote me but dude i just questioned how someone so young could be so full off disgust at how people talk on TV. Also I found your comment on UNIs to be a little odd.

You did come off as a bit of a snob but if you say you arent then thats cool.

Your right it is just a forum but words are what start wars. No worries.

Tech Guru

I didn't make any comments on uni's. I made a comment on the adverts for uni's. And when I said "yeah that must be a great uni", that was just sarcasm mate. I can't think off the top of my head exactly what the advert said but I know as soon as I heard it I thought how can they possibly get someone who speaks like some hoodie street gang member to do a voice over for place of higher education. To me I think there's something wrong when a voice over guy says something along the lines of "to see wot you fink (??) about our prospectus, visi' (supposed to be visiT, with a T on the end), www do' (supposed to be doT again with a T on the end).....", and so on. That to me makes me think thats the last place I'd ever want to go a and study.
    There's also that advert for teaching when the phone rings and the teacher takes it off the pupil and goes "wicked phone!". I distinctly remember my English teacher at school going fucking apeshit at anyone who said wicked in that manner, now they promote teachers to say it on TV!? I personally think the English language is getting worse and worse, and I know I'm not alone on that one too. People say it all the time. I'm not talking about accents, I'm talking about how the language itself is deteriorating and it seems to originate from all these fucking waste of space kids that hang around on street corners stabbing people for kicks. I'd hardly describe these kids as being part of a rich diverse background contributing to the English image.
    If I came off the bat as a snob then good, maybe some people are proud of their countries history but not very proud of it's present state. We used to be the pinnacle of education, but other countries must laugh at us now. It's not hard to spot either, just watch footage from sort of around the early 90's backwards, regular scruffy kids who are interviewed on programs sound posh compared to the kids of today.
    Anyway, I'm done, I'm not gonna say any more on the matter.

Peace though yeah, don't read into things I say too personally. It's not like I'm sitting here wanting to pick a fight. You can't read tone in words so imagine everything I say, I say with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Tongue in cheek is one thing but i recall this "Europe is a fascist state" crap on this forum before.
    Anyone who lives in America who actually think its the home of the free and the brave is seriously misguided. You guys are the most censored, watched, listened to, spied on citizens in a Western Democracy. American government has been paranoid for a long long time. They aint just watching the Russians, and the Chinese they are watching YOU.

Freedom isnt just about Freedom to do stuff. Its about Freedom from stuff.
    Its called Positive and Negative Freedom.

Freedom from interference from others and the state is worth just as much as freedom to do what you want which is the kind of naive freedom people (especially the young cry out for).

All the crap i read about the Nanny State and Left Wing commie protectionism is nonsense.

BTW: France has not banned the burqas or niqabs. It is discussing it and the reason is not on the grounds of Muslim hate. It is because the French National Assembly claims that:

“It's a symbol of the subjugation of women.”

Im not saying its right or wrong but i am saying that you need to be a little more careful when addressing such a sensitive subject.
    According to the BBC out of 5 Million Muslims in France only 2,000 wear the Burqua. So it could be argued that most of those women dont want to wear it? Who knows, certainly not you or me.
    BTW: NO ONE SAID THEY BANNED THEM. READ MORE CAREFULLY.

so someone from england is telling me that americans are the most spied on in the western hemisphere? Can u provide evidence that americans are more intrusively whatever then the english?

if you think you can lump what i said with any previous "europe is a fascist state" "crap" then go for it. I've never made that claim anywhere.

I won't go on any further with the rest of your post but i find i get a bad taste in my mouth when someone (esp. someone with limited experience in america) starts badmouthing america and what she may or may not now or at one time stood for.

my forum name should be seriously misguided.

i'll give you a 6/10 for the troll......

EDITED as requested
    Last edited by charo; 02-08-2010 at 09:12 AM.

I never bad mouthed America but you bad mouthed Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    damn them to hell or at least back to europe, i hear france is very for the state if that's your fix...
    I was making a point that all Western Democracies benefit from Laws to Protect your freedom rather than giving freedom to do whatever you wish.

Take it how you like but i didnt bad mouth America. If you think that the USA is a free country then thats fine, your choice.

Also Edited. In the name of good will.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 02-08-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Anyone who lives in America who actually think its the home of the free and the brave is seriously misguided.
    this is the quote in question, maybe you didn't mean it to be insulting but IMO that's more disrepectful then suggesting people insisting on controlling things for the common good go back to europe where alot of those ideas came about.

Just like anyone in any country who thinks that they are living in a FREE country is misguided. You know damn well that was the point. Do you really think i was calling America not brave.

Ive got nothing else to say to you.

EDITED: Peas
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 02-08-2010 at 11:01 AM.

that was advice, not a declarative statement.

if you had said at first, anyone in any country who thinks they are living in a free country is misguided then i wouldn't have take offense to it.

but you said, anyone living in america who thinks they are living in the home of the free and brave are seriously misguided.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast