Renaming Batches of Audio files...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Renaming Batches of Audio files...

I [like many of you i'm sure] have boatloads of great music on my computer.

However - combing through each file individually to right click - select rename - deselect highlight and then erase each number individually gets old after about 5 songs.

Any advice on combing through and also renaming vast amounts of audio files??

anything is appreciated as I feel this is a common beast many of us attempt to tackle

Tech Mentor

I use Mp3 Tag Tools (http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/)
    It' freeware.
    You can rename all yours mp3s using tags info or viceversa.

Batch renaming is a majorly dodgy process and takes a time to do correctly, basically if all your mp3's do not have proper comments written things start getting a bit haywire.
    That means you have to be 100% sure that all of your mp3s id3 tags are very well filled, otherwise your going to end up with a huge mess of differently named files.

My first step in reorganising any music is to first work at the folder level and organise it into Artist\Release, from there i batch rename each individual artist at a time as opposed to batch renaming several artists at once, every time making sure the comments are well filled out and that the batch renaming process goes smoothly.

Lately i have been building a completely separate dj mp3 collection for mixing and have been organising a single artist at a time. I personally feel working on one artist at a time is the only effective way to have any hope of doing a good job on organising massive mp3 collections as its the only way to have a decent quality control of whats happening to the files.

Nice ...

I was in search of programs as well as methods - thanks to both of you

Is it agreed that mp3 tag tools is one of the better/best programs out there for accomplishing such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by metaverse View Post
    Nice ...

I was in search of programs as well as methods - thanks to both of you

Is it agreed that mp3 tag tools is one of the better/best programs out there for accomplishing such a thing?
    There are so many different programs out there, i personally think it comes down to personal choice and what you personally want to accomplish. I don't think its a matter of whats best, its a matter of what is best for you.

Give it a go and see how it goes for ya

Well. it seems a big thing nowadays.

I only seem to bother sorting it by genre followed by a Mixed In Key overhaul.
    If the BPM exceeds 8% I might even make a seperate high BPM/low BPM rating based folder, but that's still in planning phase.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Well. it seems a big thing nowadays.

I only seem to bother sorting it by genre followed by a Mixed In Key overhaul.
    If the BPM exceeds 8% I might even make a seperate high BPM/low BPM rating based folder, but that's still in planning phase.
    Why 8%? especially considering your using BCR rotaries ?

I use teh following software - First.. Better File Rename, then MP3 Tag Tools, then Xone Mixed In Key 3.

I have found this is the fastest way for me to rename mass (Gbs) files at the same, renaming the Tags and keep them organized, then identify the key/bpm.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Why 8%? especially considering your using BCR rotaries ?
    LOLz.

I am thinking of 8% due to the pitch fader reach of my setup in Traktor. (Set that to duplicate the Technics SL1200 reach)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    LOLz.

I am thinking of 8% due to the pitch fader reach of my setup in Traktor. (Set that to duplicate the Technics SL1200 reach)
    Yeah but why not a bigger pitch range, if its there use it i rekon !
    I can see why someone using a fader with low resolution midi would use 8% but if you have the ability to send relative midi messages id be setting it to something like 30%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast