studio monitors - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: studio monitors

This is plausibly the most useful and interesting threads if the internet.
    Also, I find it funny to read the heat going up in this one..
    200-300 euros monitor set for dj'ing: behringer truth or fostex pm04 which has smaller diameter speakers..? E.g. b1030a, b2030a, b3030a..

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxone View Post
    Lance mate

I reckon you should take a more "agree to disagree" attitude to your postings.

nem0nic clearly knows what he is talking about. You may disagree but you're looking a bit foolish saying most of his comments are wrong.

Accept that audio engineering is a thorny issue and show a tiny bit of humility.

Being as stubborn as you are just makes you look like a bit of an arsehole frankly...

Am all up for opinions and criticisms but acting like you are the gospel on this very subjective subject is a bit much.

nem0nics credentials deserve a bit of respect imo.

And everyone's postings deserve respect too.

Peace out :-)
    I'm not stubborn at all... but like me you are entitled to an opinion. I simply speak from my experiences and research that I have done, I don't think i need to throw out all my credentials as others have in this thread. I am good at what I like doing and that is producing... If you want to see who I am or what i have done you will go see for yourself... I don't think i am THE expert on the topic at hand, NO WHERE did I say I am the expert here... And I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with debating the issue at hand either. I may think he is wrong, and he may think I am wrong... end of the day we are all just trying to help someone make a decision in this thread, just like the OP asked for...
    Last edited by LanceBlaise; 02-04-2010 at 03:02 PM.

It is clear that this is a topic of discussion without a winner. I guess the best advice for everyone is to try speakers in a store and follow your ears! (and budget)

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    It is clear that this is a topic of discussion without a winner. I guess the best advice for everyone is to try speakers in a store and follow your ears! (and budget)
    exactly... there will never be a "winner" on this issue... its like MAc vs. PC. its a never ending debate!

Just one last comment on nem0nic, as much as I am respecting him and what he stands for, his knowledge is not absolute, nor claims he to have such absolute knowledge.

Anyone who really wants to shake loose in a studio should obviously have either Dynaudio, Sonodyne or ADAM monitors.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

this thread has potential luz.

to the op: go to guitar center, bring a cd of some music you're familiar with, and listen to some different models. only you can decide what you want to spend you hard earned cash on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Anyone who really wants to shake loose in a studio should obviously have either Dynaudio, Sonodyne or ADAM monitors.
    I have the A7s now, and they are some of the best sounding monitors i have used. They are quite new though. My boy who just tossed his VXT8s got some really nice Dynaudio... its just a hefty amount of loot to drop.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Generally, I let this stuff slide, but I'm chiming in here...

The whole "you don't use subs with studio monitors" thing is completely false.

The whole point of a reference setup is to reproduce the music in an accurate way. If the musical content you're working on has a lot of content below what your speakers will accurately produce, then YOU NEED a sub to reproduce those frequencies. Most dance music has a lot of content a 5-7" speakers isn't going to be able to accurately reproduce. Your mixes are going to sound bass heavy on a decent system because your monitoring is lacking and you're likely compensating for that in your mix.

This doesn't just manifest itself by you twisting the low EQ either. When you're picking sounds to use in your production and creating space in your mix for everything, you're making bad choices because your monitoring is poor and you don't have a full picture of what's happening in your low end.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using monitors for recreational listening - or to DJ with. Good speakers are good speakers - period. And becoming familiar with your own monitoring equipment and environment helps train your ears. This is especially useful when you're mastering.

ANY mastering engineer, post engineer, or professional audio engineer on the planet will tell you that's EXACTLY what their job really is.

Everyone's free to have their own opinions, but I'll point out that if KRKs are good enough for people like Tal Hertzberg and John Dickson, they're probably good enough for most people.

Sorry for being late, but having a sub in a studio is a bad idea except if you have a very good audio environment. That is a perfectly designed room and perfect acoustics (room modes, diffusion, absorption, etc.). In that case you can use a sub, of course if you know how to set it up.

I've seen countless studio and mastering rooms without a sub. The only place subs are essential are studios that work for film. The reason is most music doesn't have much content in the sub area. Films do.

As for not using studio monitors for djing and production I think it depends on the style of djing. Most djs I know love clipping the audio signal... that is detrimental for any speaker/monitor. I don't think anyone with that style of djing would want to compromise the quality of their many-thousand-dollars studio monitors. Better to buy some JBL eon and treat them hard because that's what they have been designed for.

Myself I like clean sound, and when djing at home I work at low levels so I know it's ok to dj with the same monitors I produce.

As for KRKs... I think it's not about the tool. It's how you use it. If you know how to mix on some monitors/acoustic environment in a way that it translates well to other systems then any tool will be ok.

I have a PA in my room. I bought it on craigslist for $650 dollars. hustled him quite a bit. 2 electro voice's, 1200w amp, 2 electro voice 18's, and a stupid looking dod mixer. Oh and speaker stands. I obviously don't hook all of this up to do the bedroom thing. I was sort of in the same situation as this guy, wondering what to buy. Came across this deal and went for it. Definitely was a good decision. Would probably be hard to come by again. I honestly think it was all stolen but I'm not too concerned, it was about 3 years ago. Looking back on it, it would've been a bad decision to just go with some little monitors or something. I quickly started doing house parties and having a PA with 2 18's has made all the difference. Now I have clothes and shit piled on top of most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    As for KRKs... I think it's not about the tool. It's how you use it. If you know how to mix on some monitors/acoustic environment in a way that it translates well to other systems then any tool will be ok.
    Exactly, I been asking around and everyone I spoke to says the same thing: you learn the colour of your monitors.

That seems to be the bottom line...

NB I wouldn't take anyones opionion as gospel. But I think putting a posting out there as if it is is not helpful.

But I love a little heated debate too
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast