studio monitors - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: studio monitors

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

And be REALLY careful with using Subs.

Monitors are used for COMPLETELY different things than listening to music. If all you are doing is DJing then I really think almost any stereo system will do the job. If you're producing and writing music then you probably aren't going to need a subwoofer for a long time, especially if you don't have a treated room with bass traps and the like.

Reference monitors are used to reference sounds to make them balanced, not to listen to casually. Really consider what you're going to use them for before you purchase.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DMurd View Post
    i think i am kinda of leaning towards the KRK's they sound like a lot of people like the and i heard them the other day in the store and they sound awsome
    thanks
    They do sound good, but when you are making tracks you want stuff to sound a bit more true then having the monitors clean up your sound for you. I am speaking first hand as I have had them in one of my studio setups. What is your budget, there may be a better option for you...

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    And be REALLY careful with using Subs.

Monitors are used for COMPLETELY different things than listening to music. If all you are doing is DJing then I really think almost any stereo system will do the job. If you're producing and writing music then you probably aren't going to need a subwoofer for a long time, especially if you don't have a treated room with bass traps and the like.

Reference monitors are used to reference sounds to make them balanced, not to listen to casually. Really consider what you're going to use them for before you purchase.
    I just assumed he was producing, didn't realize that these could be being used simply for DJing in the house. For something like that really any decent speaker is ok.

And about what DvlsAdvct said about the sub... He is right on the money there, If you are going to be using these monitors for production you do NOT want a sub. Get some good monitors with a long throw woofer in them, 6-8.75 inch. Again, tell us your budget so we can toss you some options.

Tech Wizard

well i am doing a little bit of both producing and DJing but mostly DJ. and my price range is anywhere from 200 to 650 ish

well i am doing a little bit of both producing and DJing but mostly DJ. and my price range is anywhere from 200 to 650 ish
    I am afraid I wouldn't suggest using your production monitor for DJing... only because they aren't mean't to be used that way.Honestly I would say buy a powered speaker, like a small JBL EON or a Behringer equivalent. And then do the same for the monitors. Get the Behringer Truth 3031A's, you can get em for like $400.

DJ WITH THIS:
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-B212XL-LIST

PRODUCE WITH THESE:
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-B3031A-LIST
    or
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-B2031A-LIST

That will get you both within your budget...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I just assumed he was producing, didn't realize that these could be being used simply for DJing in the house. For something like that really any decent speaker is ok.

And about what DvlsAdvct said about the sub... He is right on the money there, If you are going to be using these monitors for production you do NOT want a sub. Get some good monitors with a long throw woofer in them, 6-8.75 inch. Again, tell us your budget so we can toss you some options.
    I am do a little bit of both producing and DJing but mostly DJ. and my price range is any where from 200$ to 650$ and little more than that maybe.

I am do a little bit of both producing and DJing but mostly DJ. and my price range is any where from 200$ to 650$ and little more than that maybe.
    see my post above mate!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Yeah, I learned a while ago that people really think studio monitors are necessary for DJing. I remember my speakers got busted so I borrowed my ex's monitors for a day to mix with.

It was awful. Never again.

So yeah, I always ask cause it shocked me when I found out people were using Events just to mix with.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I like my KRK VXT4s, they sound badass!

I do a bit of producing and I think they work fine. I find there is good seperation, I can distinctly hear each instrument I'm adding.

Thing is with producing, if you want it sounding proper you need to take it to a pro to master it anyway.

Also you have to check what it sounds like in various situations, on your ipod, in your car, round your mate whos got a stack from 1992.

I like the KRK VXT4s cause they are small but pack a punch and are pretty crystal clear.

I'm no expert though and mainly use them for DJing / Listening to music and I think they sound beautiful.

Just my thoughts :-)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

They can sound beautiful.

But for DJing they are unnecessary. Computer speakers will work just as well and save a TON of money is all.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast