Help with LPD8 please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Help with LPD8 please!!

Hey everybody,

I need some help ASAP. I have an upcoming gig on the 30th in which I plan to use my new akai LPD8 for a couple of beat juggling sequences. I mapped it so the CC bank of Program 1 controls 4 cues on deck C and 4 cues on D with the pads. I also programmed the midi outputs to light all 8 pads at the same time when idle, and when I push one the light goes off

the problem is that when I try some fast routines (around 123/125 bpm) it seems the commands are not received or sent properly by traktor; some pads stay off after pushing them and not all midi messages are sent. This only seems to happen when I play the pads REALLY fast though, but with solid pushes, discarding me not being consistent enough.

I'm guessing this is some sort of problem regarding latency? or maybe someone out there has had a similar experience with the lpd8 and can shed some light on the situation

Please help, thanks!!!

Tech Convert

BUMP!!

sorry guys, but I really need to see if anyone can give me their opinion here, I am trying to solve the problem by myself but no luck so far

help!

Tech Guru

Set the controller to full mode on the buttons. all akai products have this mode. all the pads have 16 levels of pressure but with this mode it allways put them on level 16 which is the full level

Tech Guru

I did some research on this pad and as it is the baby of the range it doesnt seem to have this mode which is a bit of a pain. I would save your pennies and go for the mpd24. Just one thing to check is that you dont have quantise mode on in traktor

I've run into a lot of issues trying to use the lights together with traktor. My theory is that the issue stems from the fact that the LPD turns the lights on and off by it's self. So let's say you have one of the buttons set up as a toggle. You push the button and Traktor sends the message to the LED to stay on. However a split second later the LPD tells the LED to turn off as it always does when you release a pad. So you end up with the light being off. If you tap it just right the LPD turns off the LED BEFORE Traktor turns it on, and thus the light stays on. Hence why sometimes the light will stay on and sometimes it won't.

The best solution I found for toggle buttons is to set that button to toggle mode in the LPD8 editor, and then just set the Traktor mapping to direct. The only issue is that the light won't turn on/off when you toggle the button with the mouse etc. Personally I don't think the LEDs are worth it. I would just leave them alone.

I don't know what to tell you if you're having problems with simple hotcues though. On my setup Traktor seems to trigger the hotcues as fast as I can possibly touch the pad.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    I've run into a lot of issues trying to use the lights together with traktor. My theory is that the issue stems from the fact that the LPD turns the lights on and off by it's self. So let's say you have one of the buttons set up as a toggle. You push the button and Traktor sends the message to the LED to stay on. However a split second later the LPD tells the LED to turn off as it always does when you release a pad. So you end up with the light being off. If you tap it just right the LPD turns off the LED BEFORE Traktor turns it on, and thus the light stays on. Hence why sometimes the light will stay on and sometimes it won't.

The best solution I found for toggle buttons is to set that button to toggle mode in the LPD8 editor, and then just set the Traktor mapping to direct. The only issue is that the light won't turn on/off when you toggle the button with the mouse etc. Personally I don't think the LEDs are worth it. I would just leave them alone.

I don't know what to tell you if you're having problems with simple hotcues though. On my setup Traktor seems to trigger the hotcues as fast as I can possibly touch the pad.
    At the moment I am undergoing similar problems in traktor scratch pro with an addition: with CC on, when pressing the pad 2 the led of the pad 1 would turn on.. and similarly for the rest of the pads: pad 2 turns on when pressing pad 3, pad 7 when pressing pad 8... etc... needless to say I mapped the leds to the corrispondent pad.

Did anyone manage to map the leds correctly?

Another question: why on earth is "learn" deactivated when mapping an "OUT" action ???

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    I've done what you say (set "TOGGLE" on the lpd8 editor) , but if you set the map to "direct" in traktor pro, nothing works anymore. On the contrary if you leave toggle also on traktor, everything seems to work fine, but you'll have to press a pad twice to actually deactivate a control (first touch deactivates the led, second deactivates the actual mapped control).
    Example: I set the PAD 6 to activate the first effect on the "chained" FX bank 1. If i press the PAD 6 both the effect 1 and the led turn on! But when I want to turn it off, the first time i press PAD 6 the effect stays on, the only thing which turns off is the led on the LPD8. To turn also the effect off, you gotta press the PAD 6 again. WHICH IS ANNOYING.

Any ideas? Should we actually start an thread on this issue?

That doesn't sound quite right at all. I turned toggle on in the LPD8 editor, and the Traktor mapping to direct. I deleted any out mappings I might of had in Traktor. Basically you are just giving complete control over the light to the LPD8. When I did this everything worked fine. Pushed the button once to turn it on and the light would stay on. Push it again to turn it off and the light stays off. If that's what you did then maybe you should try posting your traktor mapping and an export of your LPD8 settings and I'll try looking at it.

Tech Wizard

ok, will try, maybe forgot to delete the out mappings. if won't work even by deleting the outs will send you my .tsi .

By the way, is it possible that there are no beatjumping mapping options? Cannot find them.

thanks

Hi all, I recently got myself an LPD8 to go with my traktor setup and ive been experiencing the same problem as Luca78nero.
    Anyways, if you want to map the pad using the toggle buttons without having to press it 3 times you must use the inverse feature in the midi mapping options.
    For example: when selecting your desired function for your button set the button in toggle mode in the traktor (pro) midi mapping preferences, and at the bottom of that page there will be an option to invert. Make sure this has a tick next to it.
    The only deal breaker, and its a biggie . . . . when you change scene, the lpd8 sends an off signal to all the toggle buttons in the scene your on. This turns them off in traktor.

This invert feature is useful though. Ive found a great use for it. When using the lpd8 for cue juggling (or any controller for that matter) set the hotcue to your desired button, then set the 'set loop' function to this button also, but invert it. When you press the button you'll jump to the hotcue, when you release it, you set a loop . If you also map the 'play' function in the transport section to this button your loop will carry on playing after you release it.
    So you can keep the cue playing for a bit, release the button, set a loop, then mess around with your effects or something

hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast