New Music --- Where the hell do you guys get it?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Definitely all about listening to late night radio sesh's! Even pirate radio, dunno what the pirate situation is like in the States but there's loads in the UK. Even internet stations, all you gotta do is text in or call the DJ and ask what the tune is if they dont announce it.

@Dodge

I just PMed you about those technics on the other thread dude.

But interesting point... what is the pirate radio scene in the states. Over here it's big!
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

thanks for the suggestions guys! I've officially fallen in love with hypem! such a great place!

as for the warez sites here in the US, the radio stations exist, but are SUPER underground due to the copyright nazis here in the states...
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Banned

I personally don't pay attention to what other DJs are doing in my city, I just focus on what I like and don't get caught up in the sound of the week if you will. The thing about DJing is it's about 90% searching for music and only 10% of it is actually playing out.

I spend about 4 hours a day just listening to new music, and hate about 3/4 of it but the 1/4 I do find is gold and more likely than not no one in my city has it.

Just dig, dig and dig some more.

Tech Mentor

A great part of a dj's work is looking for music. This is something you have to learn to do.

In the golden times Sasha had a few people paid to get records for him... I don't know if this is still going on as Sasha isn't the hot shot he was 10 years ago.

In the old times you had to go to the recordstore and go through hundreds of vinyls to get something. Today it's pretty easy with beatport and such.

If you want to get different results, do something different. Everyone is browsing the charts, if you do that you'll end up with the same result. Plus you can't compete with bigger djs that are getting special promos before the tracks go in public. I say look for different music, browse the labels' catalogues, look for unknown tracks of an artist.

Dig, dig, dig, dig... until you find a gem. And then you keep digging of course.
    Last edited by pier; 01-26-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    I personally don't pay attention to what other DJs are doing in my city, I just focus on what I like and don't get caught up in the sound of the week if you will. The thing about DJing is it's about 90% searching for music and only 10% of it is actually playing out.

I spend about 4 hours a day just listening to new music, and hate about 3/4 of it but the 1/4 I do find is gold and more likely than not no one in my city has it.

Just dig, dig and dig some more.
    This is the key

Tech Wizard

Beatport. Luckily my city isn't that big so everyone plays a lil different.

well you can't really "dig" at stores for new hot ish, imo. for the newest bangers, you need networking. you build relationships with djs, producers, labels, and you become one of the people that they hand out demos to. then you've got something that very very few people have
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

A good way to play tunes others might not have is to drop in tunes from another genre, for example when playing House, drop some prog trance in, or visa versa, it works a treat.

Well since im listening to Trance,i usually listen to all the big radioshows out there,and checking Beatport,Junodownload & Audiojelly once or twice in a week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast