Novation Nocturn mappings for Traktor Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Novation Nocturn mappings for Traktor Pro

Thought I'd share this one. I've recently bought a Nocturn for my home studio, but figured it might work as a DJ controller for Traktor.

After messing around a bit I've got it set-up pretty nicely.

It's based around a 4 Midi channel setup of the Nocturn, using the groups to split some key functionalities.

Here's the files:
    - Installation Guide and mappings overview
    - Automap files for each MIDI channel
    - TSI for Traktor Pro

I just picked up a Nocturn for a little production work (only to find out it is awkward in Kontakt 4 Player...) and got excited to try this TSI. Thanks for putting together this for us.

My experience so far:
    As I'm new with Automap, it took me a while to figue out how to swap Midi channels and get one on each button. But after that the mapping loads easily enough, and the TSI loaded perfectly.

So I loaded two tracks, synced them, hit play on the first and at the appropriate time hit play on track two. But over anxiously I hit track two a little early, not problem right just nudge it back in time? No nudge in the mapping. Yes I could have gone back and re-sync, but after such a basic tool was missing, I went off the idea. I quickly realized that I would miss jog wheels (and I am not a TT guy at all).

Eventually I could see myself programming effect presets to the Nocturn, but for the time being it will be production only.

CHeers, Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Student

Thanks for the feedback. Nudge is indeed not yet mapped, I'll add this to the TSI.

Tech Student

Dear Motoko,

I've just bought a laptop from a friend. I've got a nocturn which I've been using with Ableton for a while. My new laptop has Traktor installed, I'm not really a DJ, but I'm quite an experienced producer. I'm well aware of how 'fiddly' it can be to sort out the mappings on the nocturn. I was thinking: "I wonder if I can set up my nocturn to control Traktor?". Been trawling the interwebs, reading about people having all kinds of difficulties. Was preparing myself for a weekend of frustration and heavy sighing, when I spotted this post. What can I say? Downloaded your file, carried out your clear and concise instructions. Worked first time!!! If you were in the room now, I would kiss you square on the lips. I can now have a 'mess' with the laptop/nocturn/traktor for the rest of the week and still have the weekend clear to get blinding drunk. Thank you so very much!

Tech Wizard

I've just picked up a Nocturn on ebay hoping to use it with Traktor Pro (1.2.4) and have been hunting the internet high and low, but most guides I can find are outdated and no longer relevant.

It looks like I've finally found something, however I cannot get it to work.

I haven't got this hardware working with any other software so I don't know how to program or use the automap software yet, but in your readme file you mention to :

Map Midi Channel 1 to the User group
    - Map Midi Channel 2 to the FX group
    - Map Midi Channel 3 to the Inst group
    - Map Midi Channel 4 to the Mixer group
    - Load the automap files to each corresponding group

I have done all the previous steps and have loaded the TSI file to traktor, but the above steps I don't know how to do. How do I map a midi chanel to the above groups? I am using automap 3.5, perhaps that is the problem? it seems buggy as when I choose a lot of the menu items there is no response (eg, FILE>OPEN does nothing, nor does save, save as, or most of the big red buttons in the Automap main window).

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

arum

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by arumdevil View Post

Map Midi Channel 1 to the User group
    - Map Midi Channel 2 to the FX group
    - Map Midi Channel 3 to the Inst group
    - Map Midi Channel 4 to the Mixer group
    - Load the automap files to each corresponding group

I have done all the previous steps and have loaded the TSI file to traktor, but the above steps I don't know how to do. How do I map a midi chanel to the above groups? I am using automap 3.5, perhaps that is the problem? it seems buggy as when I choose a lot of the menu items there is no response (eg, FILE>OPEN does nothing, nor does save, save as, or most of the big red buttons in the Automap main window).

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

arum

Yes...I have the same problem...could someone explain how to do this step?

Tech Student

No One?

Come on! I'm sure many of you have a Novation Nocturn

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ialexalex View Post
    No One?

Come on! I'm sure many of you have a Novation Nocturn
    fucking piece of shit forum software logged me out and lost my very long response explaining how to do this.

give me a shout if you're still stuck and I'll do it all again...

Tech Student

Red face

damn I'm so sorry..

I hate when this happens...

If you have the patient to write it down again..just do it...
    It would be very much appreciated

anyway.. I believe and appreciate the effort you alredy made ^_^

I need to play around with Traktor

(kind of..off topic....but do you think Traktor Kontrol X1 might be useful if I already have the Nocturn??)

Thank you

Alex

Tech Wizard

OK I will try again...

I updated to automap 3.7 but I don't think that really affected anything. This is all done on a mac, if you run PC adjust accordingly.

Download the files above and have them ready. In the Automap software make sure the main window is showing (press view button on nocturn).

Press the USER button on nocturn, the automap window should show "user" at the top and then a blank page with light grey areas for the controls. Go to SETTINGS>MIDI CHANNELS from the automap software menu and choose Channel 1. This should open a blank set of controls. Then in the file menu go to OPEN, and open the "Traktor Pro User Channel 1.automap" file. This should map the controls for that file.

If you make any changes to the naming or configuration be sure to save or it will revert. Repeat these steps with the FX, INST and MIXER buttons, loading the relevent files to channels 2,3,4 respectively.

Note when you open the other files they will be assigned to the USER button, when you press the user button you will see options in red for each channel you have added. Choose the desired channgel by pressing the corresponding button on nocturn or double clicking with the mouse. Then at the top left corner of the window where it says "Group" you have to re-assign to the relevant button.

Now open Traktor, open preferences and go to controller manager near the bottom of the list on the left.

Under DEVICE at the top of that window click ADD and IMPORT the tractor file downloaded above.

Then make sure it is selcted next to "Device".

set both IN-PORT and OUT-PORT to AUTOMAP MIDI.

you can make changes if you wish in the traktor prefs also, or on the automap side. I have done both as I didn't find all the mappings intuative.

Note that some of the pages on the automap software will have more than 1 page - use the page + / - button on the notcturn to switch between them.

Hope that helps and makes sense...

PS, once all 4 are set up in Automap, go to FILE>SET AS DEFAULT CONTROL MAP FOR THIS CLIENT, otherwise you have to load up all 4 each time you start it.

arum
    Last edited by arumdevil; 02-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast