Stanton SCS3 vs VCI-100 vs VMS4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for some of the quick replies, a lot of good information in this thread already.

The SCS system does seem to really have unique features. I really do like you can have full finger control over the EQ's. In fact I was 90% going to get it until I did more research. Damn that research making me second guess myself.

I guess my "one setup" kind of DJ part was not very concise. And some of you guys hit it exactly on the head with what I meant with it. Using it as the only thing in your setup, it is drastically different than any other DJ setup. Not a bad thing at all, just different. I still feel the need / expect myself and others to be able to go on /most/ sets of equipment, and be able to put on a set in the future. My worry is that translating my knowledge from the SCS3 system onto a traditional TT setup would be more of a bridge than going from the VMS4 or VCI-100. That's my only really big gripe with the system, otherwise it does seem incredibly solid, and much more transferable to a traditional setup.

Basically I could see someone starting with the SCS3 system, and then in the future adding in a regular 4 channel mixer and either 2 TT's or CDJ's. I like the idea of having backup as well as doing most of the control via MIDI. And then you can either use the Stanton 3d "decks" to control it's own decks, or to use it as looping and cue functions on the external TT's with Traktor.

I see the SCS3 system as being the one system that is still able to "grow with you" and you would continue to have it even as you upgraded gear.

The one big thing that I read on here, and can't pull a link out of the top of my head, is that sending sound information and MIDI information over the same USB cord is a bad idea because of possible data loss. That would affect any system with a built in soundcard, like the VMS4 or the VCI-300. As a beginner setup I don't think it would be a big issue, and having it all "in one package" seems to be very nice for mobility.

I suspect I'd start out setting up in my office, but I also often go over a couple buddy's houses that have serious TT setups, and I want something that would be comfortable and easy to move around. I think half of the enjoyment for me getting into DJing is my ability to discuss what is going on with my friends, so having a portable system is a must for me. My home is not the "party" spot and I like that (and I mainly blame my wife for that but that's a whole different story :P)

Basically the idea is to have a mobile setup minus the sound system.

I'm steering away from the VCI-300 because I feel you can get a more effective setup with the VCI-100SE and an external audio interface. I also want to use Traktor, and while Serato ITCH may be nice, it's not something I'm really all that interested in.

So that's my information I can add so far, hopefully it cleared some things up from my original post.

Tech Guru

one thing about the mousepad on the VMS4 is that i have the feeling its going to just send HID as its meant to replace your mouse. as such you need to use some HID->MIDI converter, which is certainly possible but something to be aware of. but this is just speculation on my part.

aside from this the weight, the lack of touch sensitive jog wheels and the lack of big tactile buttons turn me off from the VMS4. sure it has all the knobs and buttons in the world, but it all seems quite crammed.

the stanton's really shine when you want to go totally crazy and want to do a ton of stuff at the same time or at least in rapid progression. especially touch strips open totally new possibilities as you have the choice of making big jumps or gradual movements. also double assigning doesnt pose such a big risk in going stupid mistakes since the controller updates to show the current values. as such i think the stanton is really for people that want to really do crazy stuff.

in this light the vci-100 is a bit more conservative, though of course its still a lot more modern than what a lot of DJs are doing. as for the shifting, i do see this as a problem. however for the size and weight you get a lot of controls. if you want to get rid of the shifting you can add in an LPD8 for example or a another controller. however the cool thing is that you can then mix and match things together but stay ultra portable when you do not need your entire setup.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

I guess the real difference comes down to "what exactly do you want to do with the controller?"

Seems like the Stanton SCS3 System is innovative and allows for a lot of interesting combinations, but is very different than a normal setup. It's touch sensitive controls are really unique.

The VMS4 seems to keep things more along the lines of your "standard" setup, while allowing for a lot of assignable buttons. It also has the feature of directly showing 4 channels on the mixer, so you wouldn't have to change pages.

The VCI-100SE honestly sounds like it is almost a "mix" between the two controllers for functionality. It has a strong button array and touch sensitive jog wheels, but it also requires paging for use of 4 full decks. It also has the benefit of excellent aftermarket support though, and that's not something to scoff at.

Hard bloody choice.

Tech Guru

For the Stanton you might just try and find a store that lets you play around with it for a bit, just to see if you are up for going in this totally new direction.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    The VCI-100SE honestly sounds like it is almost a "mix" between the two controllers for functionality. It has a strong button array and touch sensitive jog wheels, but it also requires paging for use of 4 full decks. It also has the benefit of excellent aftermarket support though, and that's not something to scoff at.

Hard bloody choice.
    That's what sold me on the VCI-100SE.

I seriously looked at the SCS3 setup... and the new VMS4 has a lot of attractive features. However, for me personally, having a team of people constantly working on improving the mappings, and having a large community of folks to come to when troubleshooting sold me on the VCI. If the other controllers had that kind of support my decision would have been much harder. Honestly, since the VMS4 has added four line faders and the ability to use it as a traditional mixer, if the quality is there I would love to see it get the DJTT treatment.

I think you should consider how much of the "leg work" you want to do yourself when mapping your controller out. If you have the desire and time to get to know Traktor and your controller intimately via creating or fine tuning mappings, you could definitely make a majority of controllers on the market work for you well. Truthfully, you will want to learn basic mapping functions anyways so you can make a controller work for your style, but the difference between making a few changes to a mapping, and creating a full featured mapping from scratch is immense.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    DJ Setup: Traktor Pro 1.2, VCI-100 SE, Audio Kontrol 1, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, Dell Inspiron E1505
    Other: MC-909, MC-505, Ableton Live 8, Reason 3, ReCycle 2, Traktor DJ Studio 3, BCD2000, Yamaha KX25, Radium 49, Korg nanoKONTROL
    Check out my tech-house mix on Soundcloud: Trickin' Out Tha Bird

Tech Guru

Man
    I would go for my setup...
    Or you can try to make a controller on your own like I'm planning to do
    but it's a project for 3 years :P

Tech Mentor

i just wanted to say that with the stanton scs3 system you can actually have a 4 deck eq if you decide to buy two 3d.

first 3d: eq deck a
    second 3d: eq deck b
    scs 3m: eq deck c and d

Tech Wizard

Hello

I would like to advice you about few things...

My VCI-100 recently crashes, so instead of buy a second one, I bought the SCS.3 system (1 x 3m and 2 x 3d)

And i can say, that these controllers are really really impressive (the hotcues with touch sensitiv are better than arcade buttons )

But, there is only one thing you need to consider, that each mode must be activate before using it.

By example, you are in loop mode, and you want create an effect ; so you need before push the effect mode and apply an effect ; and if you want to change the lenght of the loop, you must push the loop mode before, etc ...

With Skills, and XP, I think you can do these actions very quickly and will be able to react like a full DJ controller (XONE 4D or DX ?)

This was the dark side ...

After that, these controllers are fully mappable nearly like a lemur.

You can edit new preset with bome's midi translator and make whats you want ^^

By example, you could have 6 Trigger mode by SCS.3D ; you can change slider in absolute or relative, buttons on the corner could be "push" or "ON/OFF", Etc ....

And you could add other stanton controllers to the set.

I think the most confortable set is : 4 scs.3d (one per deck) and 1 scs.3m, but it depends of you !

However, don't forget that you need a good laptop and a great soundcard to plans this set up.

"My problem with the VMS4 is the weight, more functions than I want or need that just clutter the space, and the jog wheels are not touch sensitive."

The jog wheels are touch sensitive, more info here
    http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1411

Man, this is such a tough choice...DJTT grab a VMS4 and help us out, you lost track of the goal, we need to see things other than the vci-100se, not everyone here has one, likewise, it does not suit everyones needs...Although I very well may be ordering one by the end of the week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12