Hooking up laptop directly to CDJ 2000 (no soundcard)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hooking up laptop directly to CDJ 2000 (no soundcard)

Although CDJ 2000 is considered by some to be overhyped and overpriced (even made it to Ean's 2009 fail list) it does have a very, very handy feature with a possible big impact:

When you are doing a gig at a club/party where they have CDJ’s 2000 installed you are supposed to find yourself actually free from all the hassle of setting up/installing your own soundcard and timecode system. When working in Traktor, you can actually directly plugin your laptop's usb ports to the CDJ’s 2000, no soundcard needed. That's potententially a huge plus of course!

How this is supposed to work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZMY...rom=PL&index=3

I was wondering if there are already forum members out there that have experience with this because I'm very, very curious how this works for you.

Btw 2009 faillist discussion: http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/12/3...009/#more-4145

Tech Mentor

While this sounds good I think the wait time to see these in clubs is likely to be way way way too long for it to have any real impact. I can't see why clubs would want to upgrade their perfectly fine cdj1000mk3s.

Good point, it indeed happens to be seen if and when the average club will phase out the good old CDJ 1000.

I expect the CDJ 2000 to show up fairly soon at the big events and clubs though.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    While this sounds good I think the wait time to see these in clubs is likely to be way way way too long for it to have any real impact. I can't see why clubs would want to upgrade their perfectly fine cdj1000mk3s.
    I'm sure as technical riders for certain headliners becomes more demanding of this equipment, they will probably consider investing in them. For example, I know for a fact James Zabiela has the 2000's as a requirement for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I'm sure as technical riders for certain headliners becomes more demanding of this equipment, they will probably consider investing in them. For example, I know for a fact James Zabiela has the 2000's as a requirement for performance.
    Agree, when dj's will start asking for them you are probably going to see a tipping point in CDJ 2000 installment in clubs

Nah, I don't think that clubs with their own equipment (probably CDJ-1000's) will get the 2000's very soon. I think the big parties and festivals are the first to jump on the CDJ-2000 bandwagon, because most of that equipment is hired and I don't believe that the price difference between hiring two CDJ-1000's and two CDJ-2000's is that big so that when someone like Zabiela comes along, they couldn't afford getting two CDJ-2000's.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

If lesser dj's start demanding for CDJ's 2000 as well, then it wouldn't surprise me if average clubs would phase CDJ's 1000 out more rapidly. Hiring CDJ 2000's in addition every time is not cost-effective at some point anymore. Also keep in mind that quite some clubs have their equipment permanently leased, allowing them to stay on top of their game and to be free of all the maintenance hassle.

It all depends on CDJ 2000 adaptation by the average international dj I guess. If it comes a defacto standard and requirement within this group, then you will see many of the local dj's following that example because they all want to use what the pro's are using.
    Last edited by Rolfski; 01-13-2010 at 08:20 AM.

As far as working with Traktor goes. The HID mode works OK. It assigns all of the controls on the CDJ directly to Traktor as if you were using the CDJ through a USB cable. No time code CDs needed. Plus the track name is shown on the Display. It would be neat if the waveform was shown too. However, I've had times when I hit play or cue and it is assigned to Loop IN mysteriously. As far as the faillist goes, I think it was the over hype by Pioneer that did it in. All in All I think its a good progression from the 1000, plus it doesn't cost much more. The soundcard on it is very clean and the display is very nice looking (Not as usefull as a big laptop). My reasoning for getting one is that I've always used turntables and had to learn CDJs to play out with since every venue around here has some.
    Last edited by Cliffm; 01-13-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Tech Convert

Do the CDj 900's have the same ability to be connected directly to traktor?

Tech Guru

yes they do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast