S4 + two X1s + two F1s = ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 + two X1s + two F1s = ?

Currently, I'm using the DJ Tech 101 Series controllers (sad, I know). But I have downloaded the mappings for them so I can use Traktor Pro 2. So far, Traktor is much better than the software that comes with the 101 Series (Deckadance) just about every single manor. Obviously, controllers designed for Deckadance are very limited when using them for Traktor, so I decided to do much searching for a controllers for Traktor.

I have found that the S4 would be a very good decision for me, however I've also looked at the X1 and F1 for add-ons. I know the X1 is great for controlling traktors effects (obviously) and that the F1 is great for controlling cues, samples, and one shots (obviously. What I'm wondering is:

Should I even buy a X1 if I have an S4?
    Are there things that the X1 can do that the S4 can't do? Or are there things that can be done BETTER by the X1?
    If so, would there be a use in buying two X1s? I like my layout to be symmetrical to be honest.

Clearly the X1 can do things that the S4 can't do, but again, is there use in buying two of them?

OR would it be better for me to buy an S2 with the combination of two X1s and F1s?

Some people have simply said to buy two of them because "I can do more with them", but what exactly could I do do more with them if I already had an S4?

Any feedback is great, thanks!

X1:Control better sample decks, and you'll need only one.

When f1 will be out, I'll sell my x1 (I use it ONLY for sample deck) because there will be remix deck, or I'll use it for direct control over fx unit 3-4.
    (look also for the s2, with x1, you have more controls than an s4, and it's kinda smaller(and cheaper))
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

S4+X1 is a great combo, getting a pair is overkill IMO.

The S4 will be a huge upgrade in itself. I would recommend using it for awhile by itself, at least for a month or so. by then you should know what you need to add. I couldn't imagine you need more than one.

If you get the 2.5 upgrade, and money is not an option go for the F1

When the F1 comes out im sure there will be a flood of X1's being sold on here. I might snag one then.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    The S4 will be a huge upgrade in itself. I would recommend using it for awhile by itself, at least for a month or so. by then you should know what you need to add. I couldn't imagine you need more than one.

If you get the 2.5 upgrade, and money is not an option go for the F1

When the F1 comes out im sure there will be a flood of X1's being sold on here. I might snag one then.
    This is good advice. Play with the S4 a bit, and them see what you need. The only thing I disagree with is the huge rush of X1s into the market. The F1 isn't meant to replace the X1. That being said, though, I could see people who use the X1 for samples selling theirs and picking up F1s, but I don't think that's what most X1s are used for.

As for getting 2 X1s/F1s, I think that's a bit redundant. Really, you only need one X1 if you want to use it to control effects banks 3 and 4. The bottom half could be the excellent preparation mapping (it was posted on the blog a couple of weeks ago) and you could use it to set up tracks. 2 F1s may be too much as well, as 1 F1 can control both remix decks. And really, with 16 samples/loops to use at a time, 2 F1s would be overkill.

TL;DR: see what you can do with the S4, wait for a few weeks after 2.5 is out, and see what you need.
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mikro, Equator D5s

Tech Wizard

So what's the difference between the S4 and S2? Is it only that the S4 has 4 deck control and the S2 doesn't?

I'll probably end up buying one of those and then seeing what I need, as you all suggested.

+ Turntables and CDJs can only be connected to the S4. They cannot be used with the S2 as far as I know.

Tech Wizard

Oh, well if that's it then I could probably deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    + Turntables and CDJs can only be connected to the S4. They cannot be used with the S2 as far as I know.
    Right. basically everything else can be seen comparing pics of the S2 & S4 online. things like no led display, no filter knobs, no loop decks, a little less effect options.. I think most of that can be compensated for by using an X1.

The S4 has more room to grow in to IMO. I started doing things like routing ableton through deck D and using faders on it. And the record section in the middle of the S4 is still very unfamiliar to me, but Ill get there eventually. I use it everyday, and I still have so much room to learn more. The S2 is nice and small though, and a lot cheaper, but still seems very basic.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Wizard

Oh, damn. GRRRR. I really like the S2 booth out but I really want the other features of the S4. The S4 also just looks better with all the flashy lights and such.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast