Kontrol S4 suddenly stops playback
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Kontrol S4 suddenly stops playback

Hi,

when I use my S4 with Traktor it randomly works or not, when it does not, the playback stops (play button do nothing) and jog wheels do nothing, though pretty much everything else on the controller still work with Traktor (e.g. effects, gain, song search etc.). I can be playing for twenty minutes when it suddenly stops the song and freezes (playback and some buttons). I use the S4 built in soundcard as the audio device and my laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (which by far exceeds the system requirements).

I have tried to disable other sound devices, reinstalled drivers, restarted everything, disable wireless and other unnecessary software, increase buffer length, disabled power management (in particular USB power management) but the problem persists. In the Traktor Kontrol Control Panel it says 'No streaming possible. Please try to disconnect and reconnect the device or reboot your computer'

Grateful for any input!
    Last edited by LAMeduck; 01-23-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Tech Mentor

Could be a number of things. USB 3.0 isn't supported. hdd could be going to sleep. Despite your tests with buffer sizes, it could still be a latency issue.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    Could be a number of things. USB 3.0 isn't supported. hdd could be going to sleep. Despite your tests with buffer sizes, it could still be a latency issue.
    I am using a USB 2.0 port and have set the hdd to never go to sleep via the power options.

When it stops and you try to press play what happens in the software and on the s4 itself? Ie: does the play icon in software light up? Does the play button on the s4 light up?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    When it stops and you try to press play what happens in the software and on the s4 itself? Ie: does the play icon in software light up? Does the play button on the s4 light up?
    Both of them light up but the waveform stays immobile to scrath and playback.

That sounds like a soundcard issue to me. I used to get this when I used my win 7 laptop but only when I was trying to use Traktor without my s4. I would say its something to do with your laptop soundcard drivers. You definitely disabled all of the sound devices in device manager? Make sure all internal sound hardware devices are disabled.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately the problem persists, I have disabled all sound devices and even the wireless network, dvd reader, webcam, usb 3 host controller (I am using the USB 2.0 port) and the built in accelerometer, nothing seems to work. When it stops playback the CPU load goes through the roof and the play button/jog wheels freeze and the warning triangle on the S4 starts to flash and the "No streaming possible" appears in the S4 control panel. I have tried different buffer lenghts but it doesnt appear to have an impact, I can lie within 10-80% CPU load during the set for maybe 30 minutes but then it bursts and freezes.

Tech Wizard

Try a older Driver... with the newest i got the same problems i think... i use 2.9.4 i think... good luck
    MacBook Pro 2.5GHZ 667MHZ 4GB RAM - Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk1 / X1 Mk1 /F1 / Maschine / Audio 8

Soundcloud
    Facebook

It's definitely an audio related issue because the CPU reading at the top of TP2 is related to the strain placed on your audio drivers etc. have you tried rolling back to a previous version of Traktor? I see you have t mentioned what version of Traktor you are running. Hit the NI symbol top right corner and let us know what version you are on.

Tech Convert

I use Traktor Pro 2.1.2.12125 and the 3.0.2 Kontrol S4 driver.

I appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast