Use for Sample Decks
    Tech Guru

Default Use for Sample Decks

I have been playing around with many mappings and trying to figure out the best way to work in the use of the sample decks and this is what I have come up with. It's 3 commands mapped to a single button.

Loop Set Size = 4 + Sample Play + Activate Loop

What this does is grabs the next 4 beats of audio and throws them into a sample deck muted, then continues playing. I can then hit un-mute with another button. I have found this very useful for grabbing a synth line in the breakdown and bringing it back to bridge to transition to give it a much easier flow.

I hope some people find this useful, I know some people may think it's stupid but once I figured out how to do it I was pleased with the results.

PS. You can grab as much or as little as you like just change the value of the loop size set. This could also be put on a knob so that you can change if you wanna grab a half a beat or 16 beats.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Does it put it in a specific sample deck slot? Or just the next open one? It'd be cool if you could hit it multiple times to grab several slices to create a set of samples to juggle.

Tech Guru

You can assign it to any slot you want or if y dont assign a slot it will assign it to the next open sample slot in the sample deck either directly above or below the sampled deck. That sounds a litte confusing but basically if you sample deck a it will assign it to the next open slot in deck c.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    if you sample deck a it will assign it to the next open slot in deck c.
    Now that's fucking cool and really useful to me. I'll have to try this out. Although, I'm kind of new to mapping so I might need some help getting the actual commands to get it to work. Dunno, I'll find out tomorrow.

If you take the command 'Load from deck" it will take a sample from your selected deck and takes the loop length of your selected loop length at that time (no matter if you have the loop activated or not).

This gives you loads more flexibility than mapping the loop length hard to the same button as the load action.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    If you take the command 'Load from deck" it will take a sample from your selected deck and takes the loop length of your selected loop length at that time (no matter if you have the loop activated or not).

This gives you loads more flexibility than mapping the loop length hard to the same button as the load action.
    Indeed!

This is how I have it set.

I use 6 buttons per sample slot.
    1) Load from list
    2) Load from Deck A
    3) Load from Deck B
    4) Load from Recorder
    5) Sample sync

Then obviously Cue\play and Play.

Volumes for each slot too and one channel volume fader.

Now just need unmute buttons and Filters!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Thanks for that but I use this more for when I don't have any loops saved. This doesn't activate a loop it just creates a loop then deactivates it. That way I can grab whatever I want. I may have to come up with a system to work in the "Load from Deck" commands also.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    Thanks for that but I use this more for when I don't have any loops saved. This doesn't activate a loop it just creates a loop then deactivates it. That way I can grab whatever I want. I may have to come up with a system to work in the "Load from Deck" commands also.
    What michielgill is talking about doesn't activate a loop and you don;t need to have a loop active. It just takes whatever the loop count is sitting on at the time and loads that length into the sample slot.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x