Any ideas for using the APC40 as a Four unit effects Controller?

Default Any ideas for using the APC40 as a Four unit effects Controller?

So I got some new pieces of kit the other day thus rendering my apc40 completely vacant for controls. I have a few ideas but if any of you have any ideas for how I could use the majority of the buttons, knobs & faders let me know.
    Last edited by mikerudinski; 06-09-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    Blog.
    APC40, UC33E, MacBook Pro 13", Midifighter, Traktor Pro 2, Audio 6.

this is extremely vague. what controls have been replaced with your other pieces of kit? You could easily have control over at least 3 FX modules in tracktor with the knobs of the APC.

Go fucking crazy with instaFX buttons. And spend about 2 years mapping it.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Check this guys mapping out. Instead of the low mid high filter on the top 8 map them to fx 1 and 2 and then the bottom to 3 and 4.

http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=123
    Day 1 for me was April 1st 2011.

| ASUS G72GX | APC40 | LPD8 | MIDI FIGHTER | NOVATION SL MKII 25 | ABLETON SUITE |
    |TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO 2 |

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Go fucking crazy with instaFX buttons. And spend about 2 years mapping it.
    This..

I found Paddy's mapping to be nice, but in all reality, the APC is an Ableton controller. The layout/workflow ablilities are laid out just for that and in ableton it is a KILLER controller that I love... Now using it for traktor on the other hand hasn't been the greatest..

IDK, as it's been said plenty of times, there are plenty other controllers out there that will do the same, if not more, with A LOT less headache..
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Tech Wizard

I kind of had this happen to me: I got the APC40 but I also had the Launchpad, I was origonally using the Launchpad along with some other controllers but I just wanted 1 controller to rule them all. So I bought the APC40. But then what happenned was I didn't like any of the mappings I could find for the APC so I ended up not really using it that much. I got the thing around christmas and I barely use it so I finally got the motivation to map it myself, based on the mapping I currently use for Launchpad, the instant gratification mapping.

Soon I will have all 4 decks mapped. I also created a function where whichever instant mapping button you press, 4 of the faders on the bottom will map to that FX bank, with an override that lets you lock onto any bank. This way I don't have to worry about FX routing because Instant Grat takes care of that, but I also have the control over parameters so I can do nice sweeps and things. The one disadvantage is that I can't do more than 1 deck on each FX unit, but there's 3 FX decks plus echo freeze so I think it's a worthy tradeoff for simplicity-- fx routing is confusing when you've got 4 decks going and 4 fx units in use.

There's also a mod I'm working on where FX unit 3 can become a slicer by pressing a preset button. Then the two buttons normally mapped to FX unit 3 will turn on/off the slicer and cycle through 8 presets for the slicer (taken from the deckalized mapping). Right now I also have these presets mapped to my keyboard keys in true tim exile 'keymasher' style. The master fader controls dry/wet for the slicer and the bottom faders can be locked to any FX bank. There's also a kill all effects button since none of the fx have dedicated controls, which I think gives me a nice 'out' when I come up to that drop and I need to bring it in clean.

[edit] re-worded for clarity
    Last edited by nukage; 06-10-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Tech Guru

Just do what I did. Sit down and get a blank image of the APC40/20 and start imaging what you would like each key to do. Don't worry about how to do it yet just get it down on paper what you want it to do. Base it on others mappings if you want just give them credit for the ideas. Then once you have all/most of the ideas in your head on paper start mapping. If there is something you don't know how to do ask someone.

I am currently 1/3 of the way finishing my 2 Deck Instant FX Mapping on my APC 40 the other 2 decks are going on my APC20. But having it all written down I actually started writing the mapping last night and I breezed through it as I knew exactly where everything needed to go and how I wanted to do it. I only ran into problems when I didn't like the placement of certain commands. But that's the best part as I just went back to my image file and started moving them around until I found an arrangement I liked. Now my mapping is overly complicated with modes and multiple shift commands so it's taking me a long time to figure it all out.

But the short message is Think it, then do it.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Wizard

Another thing that's worth thinking about is, what kind of music are you playing? It seems to me that the instant gratification mappings like the one I'm doing are really well suited to hip-hop, dubstep and mashup genres, but might not be so good if you're doing deep house or trance or something like that since your use of FX might need to be more nuanced-- one at a time, paying close attention to your wet-dry levels. Just something to think about.