Multiple QWERTY Midi Controllers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multiple QWERTY Midi Controllers?

Hi Everyone,
    Is it possible to use a wireless QWERTY keyboard as a midi controller for Ableton Live, and perhaps another for another DAW, all without affecting, in any way, conventional functionalities of the "main" PC keyboard?
    I am new to this field. Thanks in advance.

Nope, whatever you do with the mainkeyboard will effect the second keyboard and vice versa

Tech Mentor

what if you put them onto diff midi channels? im kind of a newb but throwing that out there... if you use osx

as far as i know qwerty keyboards don´t support midi.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

This works on OSX - you can have a keybord tranmitting CAPS, and a separate keyboard transmitting LOWER CASE, doubling up the number of buttons you have.

Can't be done in Windows, though...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

If you could find a program that can distinguish between keyboards and convert the keys to midi it could be possible. I dont know of a program that does this however.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This works on OSX - you can have a keybord tranmitting CAPS, and a separate keyboard transmitting LOWER CASE, doubling up the number of buttons you have.

Can't be done in Windows, though...
    came into post this....

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    If you could find a program that can distinguish between keyboards and convert the keys to midi it could be possible. I dont know of a program that does this however.
    Remembered reading about this in the forums and it would do the trick

http://steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html

from

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7027

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Thanks to you all for your replies. Have been talking to various people and the problem of distinguishability between keyboards, by the OS, comes up. This is not germane to the issue, though. What's required is for the "main" keyboard to retain its conventional functionalities, and for the other keyboard(s) to be able to communicate with the relevant daw application. Qwerty keyboards are assigned midi capability when Ableton Live is in "keyboard mode", so the difference in protocols is not an absolute barrier.
    - The ability to assign "keyboard mode"/midi ability to a particular keyboard or region thereof, without such assignment being a blanket, "global" assignment, affecting all keyboards, that blocks other functionalities.
    -If the OS treats multiple keyboards as one giant keyboard that is not a problem as long as 1/ is not an issue.
    The real problem seems to be assignment, everything else probably has a "workaround".

Glovepie can help you. It can detect the difference between multiple keyboards, mice, joysticks etc, and even "swallow" the input of said device. It converts to midi and routes though a virtual midi app. I use it all the time to convert my laptops trackpad into a midi device while still allowing a USB mouse to function as normal.
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, BCD-3000, WinXP(Pro)-SP2, Traktor Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast