Am I crazy for really wanting and considering a pair of CDJ-2000s? - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

you bought an SL1 mostapha? Even with all your talk about sound quality of behringer truth monitors and other various rants about "shitty" sounding gear and you buy a fucking SL1
    Last edited by oliosky; 01-24-2012 at 06:16 PM.

You have a better suggestion, oli?

Tech Guru

At the very least the sl2 for serato. The ni audio 2 sounds better than the sl1

For home use I'm not sure it matters!! IMO sl1 is more than sufficient at home. I have no experience of the 2 being used at a decent venue so can't really comment. Comparing an Audio2 to an sl1 is completely pointless it might sound better but its not a DVS soundcard so is completely irrelevant in this context.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Whoa price drop on CDJ-2000s. proaudiostar is advertising them for $1599 new now which leads me to believe they can be picked up for $3000 a pair.
    wow good for you if your place is really dropping the price (inmmy place it stills stays the same)

hmm, bonus coming up next month...still dont know what would i should splurge on this year

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    For home use I'm not sure it matters!! IMO sl1 is more than sufficient at home. I have no experience of the 2 being used at a decent venue so can't really comment. Comparing an Audio2 to an sl1 is completely pointless it might sound better but its not a DVS soundcard so is completely irrelevant in this context.
    you're taking my comment out of context. Mostapha posts constantly about sound quality of gear and how much product "x" sucks and why buy old outdated technology etc.

The SL1 was released years ago, runs on usb 1.1 and has no core audio support for mac. Plus it sounds kind of OK, but not great, in this day and age.

I'm also just winding him up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    I'm also just winding him up a bit
    I gathered that. And I took it in good spirit.

And you're right, the Audio 2 sounds great for its price bracket. Not impressive, really, but it's a $100 card and is more useful than the Built-In interface on my MBP. It sounds a hell of a lot better than the MBox Micro did, for example.

The SL1 sounds fine for the types of places I'll play. By the time the card is the limiting factor of my sound system, I'll have bought an SL4. Having heard and A/B/X'd some very good and very run-of-the-mill sound cards, I'm well aware of its shortcomings. But…

There isn't a DVS sound card that sounds as good as the cards I like (Apogee, Avid, even Echo on a budget). So it follows that there's no reason to pay $200 more than I got my SL1 for just so I'll know the sound is better before it gets to the crappy FOH mixer I use as a monitor controller anyway.

Once I've taken care of the monitor controller, the acoustic treatments in the room, my headphones/IEMs, and gotten a second set of monitors for my DJ rig so I'm not dealing with ridiculous reflections or mixing solely in headphones…I'll look into an SL4……or if I start gigging regularly…or if I start making recordings that matter. I'll also probably be running my mixer through a DI and an outboard preamp just "because" at that point too.

I'm also holding out and hoping for an eventual SL4 replacement with a D-Sub snake (with passive through lines) instead of RCA jacks because it would be infinity billion times easier to take anywhere and would make less clutter in my room. And, IIR filtering would be nice, since it seems that the few cards that use it sound significantly better than their price bracket. The Echo Audiofire 12, for example, ABs as a preference b/t it and the Apogee Ensemble…nothing NI or Rane makes comes close. And even that is a difference that you have to try to be able to hear (or have good ears and speakers/headphones)…you know…assuming that you're okay with the meters reading nonzero because of noise well above the range of human hearing.

I'm hunting for a pair of 2000s as well with my tax return. about 3k with 2000s deck savers and case. Really good deal. I'm probably jumping on it. Hopefully my 400s sell soon so I can not that as big a hit to my wallet right away.

Tech Convert

anyone know if pioneer are planning on on release new cdjs later this year?

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

There is currently no information on that.
    There will be probably new low- and/or mid-tier CDJs but they won't ditch their one and a half year old end-tier models.

As mentioned a few times in this thread its like that there will be a MK2 of CDJ900/2000 in one or two years.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast