Downsizing traktor library & getting rid of nonDJ tracks, anyway to make this easier? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

First thing I notice is while iTunes obviously has the Artist name and song name in the ID3 tags, Trainspotter appears to have blanks. Very odd. It's confusing all the Beatport searches, and is missing info in Trainspotter for all entries when using the iTunes portion.

The same is not true for the Traktor portion inside Trainspotter; it is reading all the files properly. This leads me to believe it's a possible iTunes xml > Trainspotter issue, as things like Label, Genre, and Release date are all displaying properly in the iTunes portion in Trainspotter.

edit: Also says unlicensed version of Trainspotter is unable to sync more than half of my playlists to Traktor. I have had the beta and been updating through and through, might try a reinstall tonight.
    Last edited by completej; 10-27-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    First thing I notice is while iTunes obviously has the Artist name and song name in the ID3 tags, Trainspotter appears to have blanks. Very odd. It's confusing all the Beatport searches, and is missing info in Trainspotter for all entries when using the iTunes portion.
    This is why I don't use itunes. Itunes doesn't actually make any ID3 tag edits to the file. When you edit id3 tags in itunes, it only edits them in your itunes collection and doesn't actually write any of your tag info to the file itself- this is why it doesn't show any of that info in trainspotter, because it's not actually there. so you could spend days editing stuff in itunes and if you open the files in your traktor collection or try to transfer the music anywhere else and it is all gone.

As for it confusing beatport releases, see my previous notes. If you separate artists with commas and make sure there is no strange formatting in the artist or song tag it comes up fine.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Itunes updates the tags if you right click on the song (or batch of songs) and choose "Convert ID3 Tags", no need to change the version from the current one.

PS: I started playing with Trainspotter and somehow I had to reanalize my entire Traktor collection so I had to roll back to a backup one. Has anybody else had this problem before?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    This is why I don't use itunes. Itunes doesn't actually make any ID3 tag edits to the file. When you edit id3 tags in itunes, it only edits them in your itunes collection and doesn't actually write any of your tag info to the file itself- this is why it doesn't show any of that info in trainspotter, because it's not actually there. so you could spend days editing stuff in itunes and if you open the files in your traktor collection or try to transfer the music anywhere else and it is all gone.
    I don't think that's entirely true. My HTC Evo reads ID3 information from Artist / Songname fairly well, though I've never done immediate changes and re-updated the file to see if it actually was changing the ID3 tag or not.

As for it confusing beatport releases, see my previous notes. If you separate artists with commas and make sure there is no strange formatting in the artist or song tag it comes up fine.
    Perhaps once I get beyond re-organizing my collection and weeding out the crap, I might go back and retroactively update song names to be hyphenated instead of parenthesized (as an example), but that shit would take a long time for little gain from my current situation.

@Padi - when you do that, you're actually converting the ID3 version of the file. I wasn't aware that it "forced" information into the ID3 tags themselves. Do you have a link to confirm that, or is that common knowledge?

edit: just converted between 2.4 and 2.3 (I prefer 2.3) inside iTunes and it didn't push any changes to Trainspotter.
    Last edited by completej; 10-27-2011 at 03:28 PM.

I don't think that's entirely true. My HTC Evo reads ID3 information from Artist / Songname fairly well, though I've never done immediate changes and re-updated the file to see if it actually was changing the ID3 tag or not.

Perhaps once I get beyond re-organizing my collection and weeding out the crap, I might go back and retroactively update song names to be hyphenated instead of parenthesized (as an example), but that shit would take a long time for little gain from my current situation.

@Padi - when you do that, you're actually converting the ID3 version of the file. I wasn't aware that it "forced" information into the ID3 tags themselves. Do you have a link to confirm that, or is that common knowledge?
    trainspotter reads parenthesis just fine. all my stuff is song name - (original mix) and it gets it

Not sure what the problem is, then.

Went to the album "Real Ibiza 2011" comp from Beatport, track 38 Gimme 5 (Original Mix) and wouldn't even find in Beatport when searching for specific portions of the words in the browser.

I dunno, will play more with it tonight, but until I figure out why it isn't properly reading from the ID3 tag or iTunes xml file, I've got bupkiss.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Did you do it with Trainspotter closed? Been doing it that way for over a year now

Not sure what the problem is, then.

Went to the album "Real Ibiza 2011" comp from Beatport, track 38 Gimme 5 (Original Mix) and wouldn't even find in Beatport when searching for specific portions of the words in the browser.

I dunno, will play more with it tonight, but until I figure out why it isn't properly reading from the ID3 tag or iTunes xml file, I've got bupkiss.
    this track?

http://www.beatport.com/track/gimme-...al-mix/2707285

you probably have an '&' or 'and' in the artist field. separate the artists with commas and nothing else. I bet it will show up when the artist field in trainspotter says 'Alex Kenji, Federico Scavo'

The way I understand how trainspotter queries the beatport databass is it reads from the id3 tag in the file, so if there is no id3 tag, it's not going to find it regardless of what it says in your itunes library. From what I udnerstand trainspotter is designed to sync your traktor collection to your itunes but I don't know about the other way around.

Open the file not showing tags in trainspotter in another id3 tag editor, I bet there is nothing there.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 10-27-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Did you do it with Trainspotter closed? Been doing it that way for over a year now
    Yeah I didn't think that's what convert id3 tags meant, if you want to force all the id3 tags I thought you needed to run a 3rd party script.

Correct, that track. Would not find. I even simply highlighted "Gimme 5" in the bar and chose to search, but came up with nothing. With Discogs, I routinely needed to search with a part / portion of the file name and it would typically find it, allowing me to click to the correct release (have a few limited edition / overseas releases that were tricky), but it got me there.

@Padi - yes. My steps:

Checked mod date on Itunes Music Playlist library.xml - 3:39pm.
    Modify name of file in itunes from "Hornetbeef (Original Mix)" to "Hornetbeef (Original Mix) - delete"
    "Show in finder" reveals physical file name has now changed to "03 Hornetbeef (Original Mix) - delete"
    "Convert ID3 tag" to ver 2.3, 2.4, back to 2.3.
    Check xml file, modifed 3:40pm.
    Open Trainspotter. No artist or track name found for that file in one of my playlists.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast