DJs and their masks... - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I can totally understand a "persona" change with a mask.

please give me an example of people that use masks that are tied into their music. I don't listen to DJs that use masks so I don't understand the connection.

I might be able to get with people that use masks for live performances. I think when DJs use them they are putting their image infront of their music.

deadmau5's mask had a screen inside that showed ableton live... had the whole ironman thing going on lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Aryciuss View Post
    At the end of the day, music is what should matter most. There should be more of an evaluation process of a DJ if you only look at their mask and decide not to listen to them. Some DJ's just want a distinctive look to go with their sound and I don't see any problem with that. With so many DJ's going up and using the same gear, same software, same style and same song structures, it's nice to see something different musically and visually every once in a while. The DJs that just show up as themselves have and always will heavily outnumber DJs that choose to do something different(like wear a mask). Variety should be embraced, not put down IMO.
    First of all, no one is putting it down. I really don't "get it". Which is why I posted the article and have been asking questions.

I understand the alter ego, persona change thing. But there are far too many "DJs" that want to get a cool name and a cool mask (insert any washed out gimmick) before they even know how to mix two tracks together.

I highlighted the problem in your posting...too many of the same "DJs" playing the same tired ass songs..."I will get a mask so people don't notice I play the same tired ass tracks as everyone else...I just look cooler doing it"
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    deadmau5's mask had a screen inside that showed ableton live... had the whole ironman thing going on lol...
    I already know that his helmet is a technological marvel. I don't begrudge him his style. He makes music alot of people like and he's a live act, not so much a DJ.

Zardonic is a great example of someone using a mask to represent their music.
    https://soundcloud.com/zardonic

His mask is aggressive looking with cables for hair. It matches the kind of music and art that he makes.
    do you think he dresses up like that in the studio at home? Or did he attach the persona to the music to help brand and sell it? (I am not putting it down his style or his music. This is a discussion)

Tech Wizard

do you think he dresses up like that in the studio at home? Or did he attach the persona to the music to help brand and sell it? (I am not putting it down his style or his music. This is a discussion)
    Of course not. None of them do. What's your problem with guys that do it as part of their image? There's a difference between guys who use it to help their music and others who just dress goofy to dress goofy(which from what it sounds like, we both oppose the latter).

Sorry, but your point of view seems to be rooted in envy towards some of these acts because they find different ways to market their music to people. I see where you're coming from in regards to people putting branding ahead of music, but why can't there be more deadmau5 or Daft punk type artists that do it well and have it tie into their music? It sounds like you think all DJ's should look like Joe Schmo and have no personality or originality in their art. I hope I'm wrong in what I'm assuming you're saying, but it certainly comes across as negative to all of the producers that do that.

Tech Wizard

First of all, no one is putting it down. I really don't "get it". Which is why I posted the article and have been asking questions.

I understand the alter ego, persona change thing. But there are far too many "DJs" that want to get a cool name and a cool mask (insert any washed out gimmick) before they even know how to mix two tracks together.

I highlighted the problem in your posting...too many of the same "DJs" playing the same tired ass songs..."I will get a mask so people don't notice I play the same tired ass tracks as everyone else...I just look cooler doing it"
    Gotcha. Disregard my last post then. I see where you're coming from. Just seemed like you were attacking all producers/DJ's that do that stuff. I do feel weird about people that have an alter ego, but only spin remixes(not theirs, usually) and other peoples tunes. That method does seem gimmicky. If you're going to have an "identity" then you should focus it around your own music.

Of course not. None of them do. What's your problem with guys that do it as part of their image? There's a difference between guys who use it to help their music and others who just dress goofy to dress goofy(which from what it sounds like, we both oppose the latter).

Sorry, but your point of view seems to be rooted in envy towards some of these acts because they find different ways to market their music to people. I see where you're coming from in regards to people putting branding ahead of music, but why can't there be more deadmau5 or Daft punk type artists that do it well and have it tie into their music? It sounds like you think all DJ's should look like Joe Schmo and have no personality or originality in their art. I hope I'm wrong in what I'm assuming you're saying, but it certainly comes across as negative to all of the producers that do that.
    envy?...really?...

DJing is not a visual art form. You originality and personality come across in your sound...

Tech Wizard

envy?...really?...

DJing is not a visual art form. You originality and personality come across in your sound...
    Read my post after that one. I clarified everything there. I get where you're coming from now

No need to start an argument

Tech Wizard

Gotcha. Disregard my last post then. I see where you're coming from. Just seemed like you were attacking all producers/DJ's that do that stuff. I do feel weird about people that have an alter ego, but only spin remixes(not theirs, usually) and other peoples tunes. That method does seem gimmicky. If you're going to have an "identity" then you should focus it around your own music.
    This was my latest post clarifying everything, keithace

What do you all think about Claptone? He's an awesome DJ and producer and wears a pretty cool Venetian mask:

https://soundcloud.com/claptone
    https://www.facebook.com/claptone.official
    "There are no two words more harmful in the English language than 'good job.'"
    — Terence Fletcher, Whiplash

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast