Serato vs Traktor. More like Rane vs NI? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You're wrong. But if that day comes, I'll either quit or open a venue that doesn't allow it. It wouldn't even be a value judgement thing at that point, just an obvious business opportunity. And the fact that it's so obvious means that a lot of people will do it and your vision will never come true.
    Whoa! Condescending much? Anyways, I dunno if you mean controllers are strictly a business opportunity because you would be *very* simple minded and one dimensional.

Which is funny, because it doesn't imply that they own it either.

If a venue buys an SL1, every DJ in the world can use it by downloading the software.

Of course, that's an awesome business model for Rane too. If I were starting a crew or opening a venue, I might order an SL4 before deciding on a table. There's nothing that competes with it.
    Just like buying an Audio 4,6,8 or 10. If they must buy the software well, you must be dealing with some serious cash strained DJs :/ Also, nothing that competes with it? Well, following the thread subject, not only competing but ass ravaging financial win.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    O_O

So a couple programmers couldnt implement the features of Traktor into Serato? How do you think the pretty images and text in front of your face end up there? I'll give you a clue: It aint magic.

I tell you this much, the only thing stopping current technology into developing to it's fullest is copyrights and patents.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Just like buying an Audio 4,6,8 or 10. If they must buy the software well, you must be dealing with some serious cash strained DJs :/ Also, nothing that competes with it? Well, following the thread subject, not only competing but ass ravaging financial win.
    The big thing with Serato is that the software is FREE, you just need a Rane device to use it.

So if the club has an SL4 setup, and my buddy generally uses Torq at home. He might just install Serato just to make it a ton easier to setup at the club. Because he wouldn't have to muck about getting the audio interface setup.

That's one of the beauties of the system Serato has going for it.

It's also just nice considering a couple of my buddies have Serato that when we chill, they or I can just bring our laptops over and that's all we need to "setup" when we want to mix our own stuff.

It's a simple thing, but it keeps the workflow really smooth. And I like that.

On the OP's point though, I like the business model of Serato/Rane over what NI is doing. It's just a difference in philosophical opinion really, but it's what I prefer. It's why I made the switch to Mac over PC, Ableton over FL, and it's just a general thing I like. The simple workflow mechanisms that make sense to me.

I would like to see Rane come out with some more price effective gear, but we can't have everything. I'd also love to see them pick up the licensing for Technics (now that it's been discontinued) but I don't really forsee that happening. I've always been a fan of Quality over Quantity, and buying once and not regretting it, even if something is a little more expensive.

Like I said before, it's just a difference in philosophical opinion really, but it's what I prefer.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Whoa! Condescending much? Anyways, I dunno if you mean controllers are strictly a business opportunity because you would be *very* simple minded and one dimensional.
    Wow.

No, I'm saying all-in-one controllers will never take over. If they ever do, someone will think it's shit and open up a club that has technics or pioneer or something else, ban controllers, market the hell out of that rule, and make a killing.

Usability is a big thing as far as I'm concerned. Nothing NI makes for Traktor is as streamlined as the SL4. Nothing simplifies digital DJing as much. Nothing streamlines club gigs as much. If you can't see why, I think it means you've never gigged.

Again, I'll say it. nothing NI makes competes with the SL4.

SSL vs. TSP is a different issue. Whether vinyl control is wroth anything is another issue. The SL4 just plain wins if you're comparing DVS sound cards. Period.

O_O

So a couple programmers couldnt(sic) implement the features of Traktor into(sic) Serato? How do you think the pretty images and text in front of your face end up there? I'll give you a clue: It aint(sic) magic.

I tell you this much, the only thing stopping current technology into developing to it's fullest is copyrights and patents.
    Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

'cuz I'm a coder. I actually have a clue what's involved in doing that. Not only is it a lot more work than you or tom are implying, it's a pointless endeavor. Depending on exactly what your needs are, SSL is already beating TSP in terms of features. They're different products and turning one into the other is a horrible idea.

No, I'm saying all-in-one controllers will never take over. If they ever do, someone will think it's shit and open up a club that has technics or pioneer or something else, ban controllers, market the hell out of that rule, and make a killing.
    I agree that all in one controllers won't take over, at least any time soon, but do you really think your average clubber gives two shits what the DJs are mixing on? We're DJs and we like to bitch and whine about what gear we think people should or shouldn't be using, but that puts us in a minority.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I agree that all in one controllers won't take over, at least any time soon, but do you really think your average clubber gives two shits what the DJs are mixing on? We're DJs and we like to bitch and whine about what gear we think people should or shouldn't be using, but that puts us in a minority.
    I didn't until I started seeing it happen in clubs.

top40 clubbers don't care. I'm not sure if they even care about individual DJs, and big guys are obviously big guys.

Locals who play in places known to not allow anything but turntables and CDs do better than Locals who play in places that don't care.

Maybe Atlanta is wierd, but that's what I've been seeing.

The SL4 just plain wins if you're comparing DVS sound cards. Period.
    Agree that not putting two USB ports on either the audio 10 or the djm 900 was a big over site for club installs.

I had serato for a couple of years and got sick of turning up to clubs and the decks often not calibrating.

That was the main thing that turned me onto controllers and therefore traktor. In some ways it's more reliable not relying on club gear for it to work.

There's no plan b if serato doesn't work (other than computer keyboard) but with traktor you can just use x1 on its own.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

They're different products and turning one into the other is a horrible idea.
    Amen... Im so bored of the SLL/Traktor comparison threads on forums.
    Why dont NI do this ?
    Why dont Serato do that ?

You would think after 10 years people might have cottoned on to the fact that they are different companies with differing road maps. Sure, they overlap and maybe they are heading in the same general direction (ie: dj software) but ones a way bigger that the other and ones more established than the other, that doesnt mean they arent both getting there.

Locals who play in places known to not allow anything but turntables and CDs do better than Locals who play in places that don't care.
    Hmm, not here. The prejudice against controllers is disappearing fast.
    I was probably the 2nd DJ to use controllers in my city (after the guy that got me on Traktor) but i was definitely the DJ that pushed controllers first in a big way with the Faderfox/VCI/MidiFighter/X1/S4 and combining many of them. An older member of this forum once kindly called me the "the pioneer of controllerism" in my city (not a bad thing to be called).

I went from vinyl only doing vinyl only gigs. The DJs i played with are still on vinyl and sorta shunned me a little (in a friendly way) for a while for bringing a VCI100 to a serious vinyl head club night.
    Now, 2 of the most anti digital DJ's i know are using TSP and one has an S4. There are also a few more that I would never have thought would use an S4 but they have.

A vinyl/CD only gig where im from is rare in fact id say the tide has turned and the snobbery has been inverted.
    If a DJ wants to do just a little bit more than A-B mixing he needs Dicers (at least).
    You tell a DJ that he cant use controllers and your not gonna have many DJs and certainly not many DJs that will defend that position knowing that their mates use controllers/DVS.

"what i can play vinyl at your club, but my mate who is just as experienced but has an S4 cant play at your club"... not gonna fly.

I agree, right now. I just don't see controllers taking over like that. I have no problem with them, but there will always be a place for real gear.

The thought of bringing my home ssl rig or even an X1 and a sound card as oppose to the USB key on my keychain plus an Ethernet crossover cable an IEMs makes me cringe. Totally not worth it.

Default Serato vs Traktor. More like Rane vs NI?

Traktor total control and x1

Itch

10 years traktor experience 2 days on itch.... I will keep both setups but itch is very very different then traktor not in a bad way but way different I have not used any effects in itch yet. This might be only 2 days using it but I don't know.

Itch feels very visual basic high school programming traktor looks more polished. Both get the job done just my 2 cents since I now can say I use both

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345