Show your Setup! - Page 429
Page 429 of 469 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429430431432433439 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 4681
    Tech Convert

im a mobile dj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Dios View Post
    im a mobile dj
    I'm an alcoholic, nice to meet you.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    I'm an alcoholic, nice to meet you.
    i am not an alcoholic... cause i hate going to those meetings... so i am just a regular drunk ... nice to meet you tho...

Quote Originally Posted by biru View Post
    Two MacBooks and one MacBook Pro.

But the non-Traktor Macbook is an old POS work one. I'll be happy when they recognise I need a top-of-the-line 15" one in it's place.
    Im curious why you use a mac mini and 3x macbooks? I can understand one macbook for being mobile.. but surely a MacPro would of been on the cards for the amount of coin your put down?

Like i said, just curious is all.
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JazZmutant View Post
    Im curious why you use a mac mini and 3x macbooks? I can understand one macbook for being mobile.. but surely a MacPro would of been on the cards for the amount of coin your put down?

Like i said, just curious is all.
    The MacBook Pro (sitting to the right of the main workstation) I bought last year for post-grad studies when my G3 iBook died (after 8 years!). It's a 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo. It's my everyday web browsing machine with no memory upgrade, etc. It's so full of other crap that it never really runs music software well - I need to do a clean reboot to get the most out of Ableton or Logic on it.

One Macbook (the one sitting to the left of the main workstation) is a work machine, set up primarily for my day job. It has horrible network settings for the secured internet and VPN stuff on campus, but it does have a full install of Apple Final Cut Studio, Logic Pro 9 and Adobe Everything. It's old and hideously slow.

The reason I went with a custom 2.66Ghz Intel Core Duo MacMini was that the CPU power is enough for what I need at the moment - to run Logic and run a bunch of instances of Nexus, EXS24, Vanguard and a plugins. So far we've not even hit 50% CPU load and the biggest session on it is running 17 instances of Nexus, 4 of Vanguard, 3 EXS24, numerous channels of audio (percussion) and a number of Logic instruments all with plugins.

However this machine runs Logic and NOTHING else. A nice, clean tidy system.

The Macbook running at 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo JUST for Traktor is the same. Just runs Traktor and nothing else.

My reasons for not getting a MacPro were basically cost - I couldn't afford the cost (3 x the Mini) for the configuration I wanted. Plus it's big and noisy. And the only computers I've bought in setting this up were the MacMini and the Traktor MacBook for which I paid less (including the build to order and the 3rd party RAM I put in the Mini) than I would have for a basic Pro.

I could have gone with an iMac but I had one of those a few years back and once the monitor goes the whole thing is useless. Or in my case, the firewire and USB ports gradually died one by one. So I'm averse to all-in-ones.

My desire to have dedicated systems running for a specific purpose/application was purely for stability. I've worked in studios as a maintenance tech before and when I went from one gig to another, the guys who had a separate video edit system to their audio edit system to their audio mix system to their video master system had fewer issues than the guys who had audio edit, video edit, video master on one system and audio mix, video master on another.

And as always, my reasons for choosing Macs is that I want to spend my time working on music, not fixing and reinstalling the computer.
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

^^^ fair call good sir!

I wouldnt use anything but Macs for my music stuff too, for the same reason as you.

I was curious about the mac mini because i thought it would have heating issues.
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Default Setup

19"-Rack containing (besides ground loops, deadlocks and a sh1tload of power supplies)
    • Roland M-12 rack mixer
    • Roland EQ-320
    • Neutrik 24x4 half-normalling patchbay
    • Alesis Micro Limiter/compressor
    • Aphex Type C Big Bottom exciter
    • Behringer Virtualizer DSP 1024 FX processor
    • Rane SL-1 soundcard

on the desk
    • 2xNumark TT200
    • Numark M2 battle mixer (does it for home use, FX+sampling done with laptop)
    • Akai APC20 MIDI controller
    • Akai LPD8 MIDI controller
    • Korg Nano Key
    • Boss Dr. Rhythm 660
    • Boss FL2 analog flanger
    • Korg Polysix analog synthesizer (* 1979)
    • Yamaha UX-16 MIDI interface

amp: Akai U11 (meh... but I love these 2 analog VU-meters)
    monitors: Accoustic mid range
    headphones: AKG K271
    laptop: Toshiba M30 (antique but working - with new harddisk, CPU-cooler and keyboard. Definitely to be replaced this August)
    software: Ableton Live, Serato Scratch Live, The Bridge
    Last edited by cosmodrome; 06-29-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Pics of the desk?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Default Omg...

...added on request. I sure hope, my mother won't ever read this...
    and please notice the "custom laptop stand" made from an original Deutsche Bundespost post crate. It also serves as a transport cage for "mobile" computing equipment without the need of unconnecting and reconnecting all the USB mess. No joke.
    Last edited by cosmodrome; 06-29-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: laptop stand

Oh dear :P
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!