{RANT}So I played my first club/bar last night... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I gave the standard "I'll see what I can do" response ("im not going to play it" for us ).
    Hoax!
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    I like mixing top 40, hip-hop the best, because IMO they are some of the hardest genres to mix well, especially live.
    truth. and when you pull off something ill, its that much better.

i need to start recording my live sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

I guess im just nothing the bad parts. I had the place crazy bumping the whole time, people singing along with a journey electro remix i had. That was fun, but dem damn cougars lol.

I brought the electro and the radio dance remixes i usually like to play and the mood was happy the whole time. I actually had this guy come up and ask for a song i just played 10 minutes prior and i couldnt just replay it (i go by the 3 hour rule of thumb for repeats) so he was talking with this girl and they didnt think i could hear their conversation.

Guy "he wont play Barbara Streisand again." Girl "well i dont recognize this DJ but ill get him to play it for you." then she preceded to puff up her tits in her triple pushup bra and signal me over.

"hey! *tee hee* i love your music tonight, its great. Do you think you could maybe play that Barbara Streisand song for me?" Sorry i wish i could, i just played it not too long ago so i really cant recycle it right away "PLEASE??? *tee hee* FOR ME????" ill see what i can do...for you.

I was going to replay it in about an hour from then for the guy who asked because he was actually one of the nice ones, but NOPE! not anymore!!!

I need a sign that says "I am a DJ, not a jukebox."

JukeBox play music, DJ play music... therefore DJ are jukebox.

Fork have teeth, I have teeth... therefore I'm a fork...
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ssjaken View Post
    I guess im just nothing the bad parts. I had the place crazy bumping the whole time, people singing along with a journey electro remix i had. That was fun, but dem damn cougars lol.

I brought the electro and the radio dance remixes i usually like to play and the mood was happy the whole time. I actually had this guy come up and ask for a song i just played 10 minutes prior and i couldnt just replay it (i go by the 3 hour rule of thumb for repeats) so he was talking with this girl and they didnt think i could hear their conversation.

Guy "he wont play Barbara Streisand again." Girl "well i dont recognize this DJ but ill get him to play it for you." then she preceded to puff up her tits in her triple pushup bra and signal me over.

"hey! *tee hee* i love your music tonight, its great. Do you think you could maybe play that Barbara Streisand song for me?" Sorry i wish i could, i just played it not too long ago so i really cant recycle it right away "PLEASE??? *tee hee* FOR ME????" ill see what i can do...for you.

I was going to replay it in about an hour from then for the guy who asked because he was actually one of the nice ones, but NOPE! not anymore!!!

I need a sign that says "I am a DJ, not a jukebox."
    Unless you are playing your own tunes, I hate to break it to ya, you are a glorified jukebox

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by newmansoon View Post
    unless you are playing your own tunes, i hate to break it to ya, you are a glorified jukebox
    nooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by NewManSoon View Post
    Unless you are playing your own tunes, I hate to break it to ya, you are a glorified jukebox
    And a Ferrari is a glorified horse
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

I can empathize with every DJ that has had a rough night...who hasn't! I went to a high end lounge in my town to start a dance party. The crowd there is usually 30+ old and can afford $8 drinks...the lounge has a good verity of performers but the concept was new...I prepared myself with a safe bet...top 40s...yeah right. The whole night I had a big table of 20 people and Chill out hit the spot for them. They had a good evening, and I sweat with everyone of my tracks because my grids weren't set... and forget about cue points. Everything had to be on the fly.

I didn't get to play my prepared set, which pissed me off...but I managed to pulled some good mixes together and gave the audience a good time. I suffered, and wasn't as excited as I would have been otherwise.

Later I learned that the crowd changes every day in that place...from bluegrass lovers to Downtemple DJ sessions nowadays. My lesson was to keep listening to lots of music and have different audience oriented sets ready and get to know the crowd. When I don't have gigs I try to beat grid songs and prepare 1-2 hrs sets that could help in any situation.

Good luck on your next gig!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234