New Macbook Pro - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Pro

Tech Mentor

Everybody always overestimates how much RAM they need, it's actually quite hard to consistently max out 16GB with no release. macOS manages memory incredibly efficiently.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

RAM is not an issue for me, still chugging along nicely with 8gb. This includes pretty much any DJ software out there, Ableton, light/moderate Photoshop usage, Parallels running W10 on top for MF support, never had out of RAM issues so far.

Not saying you can't ran out or RAM with 16gb, just that like goodbyes said, the people consistently doing it are quite a small group.

So yeah, losing Magsafe and the card reader are my biggest gripes like I mentioned before but I don't need a new lappy anytime soon so things might be different by the time I need to.
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-02-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Tech Guru

Personally I'd barely even used the card reader so I'm not worried about that at all. I think without knowing the technical limitations of the ports I'd rather have 2 USB-C, one HDMI and tow USB 3 (backwards compatibility with older USB devices)

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
    Personally I'd barely even used the card reader so I'm not worried about that at all. I think without knowing the technical limitations of the ports I'd rather have 2 USB-C, one HDMI and tow USB 3 (backwards compatibility with older USB devices)
    The problem with backwards capability is that no device manufacturers have any incentive to move past USB3 - it could be 5 years before devices even begin coming on the market if someone didn't shake things up. At that point people would curse Apple even further for putting a few "useless" ports on their new machines (like some folks did with thunderbolt).

Now everyone is clamoring to release USB-C devices as fast as possible, there is now a sense of urgency about filling a gap in the market that Apple have created with the removal of old skool ports. With 5 or 6 manufacturers releasing USB-C monitors (with docking stations and charging) in the past 2 months alone, not to mention the huge number of docking stations and USB-C hubs now out there since the Macbook 12" was released in 2015.

HDMI would have been nice in the short term but its a big step down from what USB-C can offer via direct connect to a monitor (and do doubt TV's and Projectors very shortly).

Tech Guru

I was reading yesterday a company that has released thunderbolt 3 devices that aren't even compatible with the new MacBook pros after testing, it seems like a massive cockup at this point

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post

The potential for the touch bar is enormous, not just for "pro" apps but for basic stuff like for example select a font, changing its size adding an effect in a word document - it could cut down on keyboard to mouse movements by a factor of 6x and thats just one really simple gesture.

*just realized how freaking long this is haha
    I think it the fact that your eye need to move from the screen to the touch bar, and then your hand to the touchbar is a waste, and i prefer to go for the font with my mouse.

Beside you can't feel the touchbar, as it names says, it's a touchscreen so you have to look to know where you press... I think it's a gadget and will not survive 2 or 3 generation

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by whocancatchme View Post
    I think it the fact that your eye need to move from the screen to the touch bar, and then your hand to the touchbar is a waste, and i prefer to go for the font with my mouse.

Beside you can't feel the touchbar, as it names says, it's a touchscreen so you have to look to know where you press... I think it's a gadget and will not survive 2 or 3 generation
    If it were a desktop scenario I would agree, but I am typing now on my MacBook looking at the screen, not the keyboard and I can see the row of F keys just fine.

It's just like learning to use a regular keyboard, you will learn to use it's functions without directly looking at it, but if you need to look at it, it's not much effort because the screen is just north of there, a laptop is basically a screen attached to a keyboard.

It is a huge possibility that the touch bar will be gimmicky, I think them showing people DJing on it didn't help, and that emoji keyboard, I was sick in my mouth.... such pro use. I am more excited about it's basic uses, e.g. browser tabs in Safari, it's customisable so it will be good to add regularly used shortcuts, I'm sure developers will do great things with it.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    I'm sure developers will do great things with it.
    Yes, I'm sure of that too.

I think next year's model will be more interesting. Hopefully they will offer 512GB as a minimum SSD size, and I think many users may want the 32GB option for RAM (irrespective of if it's needed), since it's not the kind of machine you'll be looking to update every year.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Tech Guru

gets me everytime

Sweet & sour this new MBP.... :s

Pros:

- sexy looking. Very sexy looking...

Cons:

-Dual core i5 2.0GHz @ $1500 is a joke. If you want the touchpad edition is 1799... The Razer Blade for the same price is double the specs...

- Removal of magsafe. The thing that has saved my MBP more times than I want to admit.

-All USB-C - Yes you can get a hub to add all the stuff but those are extra costs and extra stuff to carry, lose, brake, and provice another link of possible incompatibility/headache in case you use a non-Apple dongle. This may suck by having disconnections from midi controllers and whatnot but may pose a more serious issue if you are also charging the laptop with a third party device... leaving magsafe and the CHOICE of charging with USB-C would have been perfect

-Touchstrip is kinda useless if you have a controller, after all, the controller is to keep your hands off the keyboard, not give you more reasons to be looking at your laptop. That keynote presentation of the dj app having touchstrip integration was a super gimmicky kinda like an iOS app stitched up thing kinda like saying 'hey, with this you dont need a controller!' well good luck performing live with just a laptop. No fun there.

Maybe for production the touchstrip may work but still if you have a controller like Push 2 the benefit isnt that much. Maybe for other apps like Logic, Reason, Acid, etc can provide another tool for more seamless production but still it's a wait and see... Even with great integration for me it would be a hardsell. Also, with not the whole screen touch enabled?

-Unupgradeable, unrepairable just like most latest Apple stuff.

Conclusion:

It's a very sexy laptop but too expensive if bumping up specs to acceptable levels. Competing ultrabooks have gotten very good in the last few years as well as Microsoft having people working to have Windows a viable platform for music with stuff like better latency and driver support. Initiatives like Razer Music with top producers and giving away free apps like FL seem a lot better in marketing compared to that dj doing the gimmicky thing on the touchbar. Who knows what may happen if Microsoft decided to put a team to work closely with NI or ABleton. The next 2 years will be very interesting. All I know its that staying in the Apple ecosystem isnt feeling as good as it felt 10 years ago.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast