Mixed in key worth it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

I love harmonic mixing. Ever since I started, it's like it allows you to make your own original mashups on the fly. And they don't just sound "mashed up", they actually sound GOOD!
    Macbook Pro
    Traktor Pro 2 | Kontrol S2 | LPD8
    Ableton Live | Ableton Push

i think its worth it, it is quick and tags very cleanly, and quite accurate.

btw man that mix was really good, enjoyed listening to it at work.
    Last edited by 031999; 04-12-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Tech Wizard

It does seem pretty slow... I'd like to just use Traktors key detection, but is it really that inaccurate? I know it's a recent addition to Traktor, but 50%?

Tech Mentor

I bought MIK before Traktor 2.61 came out and I think it is worth it. I use it to for finding the key and BPM that way I can organize my playlist in iTunes before importing to Traktor. I also like to compare the BPM from MIK to Traktor to be sure it is correct since Traktor does not always get it right.

Tech Mentor

The best thing that key analysis ever did for me was opened my eyes to tracks that I never thought would work, but do. I would have never thought this really hard banger might actually sound good mixed out of a chilled, more melodic tune. Also, I play pretty randomly and don't plan mixes. It's changed the way I sort though tunes. I know sort by key instead of tune/artist.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ G-REG View Post
    I bought MIK before Traktor 2.61 came out and I think it is worth it. I use it to for finding the key and BPM that way I can organize my playlist in iTunes before importing to Traktor. I also like to compare the BPM from MIK to Traktor to be sure it is correct since Traktor does not always get it right.
    Probably should have included this in my reply as well, the fact tha it re-writes the tags for you and allows you to customise how you do it is a massive bonus; I have smart playlists set up on my iTunes so each key has its own playlist and they "live update" so once its analysed, it goes in the right playlist. This is also good with the bridge function on Rekordbox as you can mooch through tracks really quickly instead of just using the sort function on the lists.
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Thanks for the comment on the set.

I too randomly play tracks I do not pre plan at all. Most planning I do is oh I rt x track would sound good now or oh this would fit this mood great. About as much planning as I do.

Funny thing I now will sort by key and since know a fair bit of music theory can do more then gradual progression while still being harmonic. I find its great because I now can just pick a key and start ... I am going to try one this weekend going from 1 to 12 and seeing how well it goes.
    Ideally will go up and down a few times multi genre see what happens

Here is a 2 hour set I did using key partially to determine the track selection and since it is longer it spans more genres

I've been using it for a while now, even tho my TSP is up to date I still run everything through MIK before even putting it in my iTunes library.

The problem with a test like this is you can't say if you would have mixed the same tracks together before you knew the key.

Do a mix without using MIK, then analyse your tracks - see if it follows MIK.

Then you can decide if it's worth it.
    SC | MC

If I was new to music that statement would be good but seeing how I have never based a mix on key progression in the past 13 years and have always gone on what I think sounds good base on my ears. I merely wanted to see if it was reliable enough to base a mix soley on what it has told me is the key. Which I think it is fairly accurate likely enough to blindly trust it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast