Stanton DJC4 - where did that come from ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

If you buy something, you should be able to use all of it. Once I buy a controller, I don't want to, nor do I agree I should have to pay to unlock all the physical features of my hardware. If you don't upgrade VDJ, you can't use all the features of the controller you purchased, which is fucking insane. The lighting and video element should be separate, you should pay extra for feature you want to unlock that have nothing to do with the hardware...

Also, Not all markets are the same. Going rate in this area is anywhere from $50-$100 an hour for a club set.

you can do everything stanton signed of on for the LE version they commission from atomix to distribute with their controllers. I had a look at the mapping and everything looks like it has been mapped, it's not like dj intro where you have unmapped controls. So in that respect you have full control over the software, but stanton have made a compromise on your behalf, they pay less for VDJ so you pay less for your controller, but you have to make up the difference to upgrade. Without this there is no way a controller with the quality of the djc.4 could sell for what it's selling for now.

But if you want a paid upgrade business model like traktor get on the vdj forum and voice your wishes, there was a lot of community interest about this some time ago, but not for the reason of saving money for the user but quite the opposite, providing atomix with more money to grow, as this means more users will stop pirating and they will have to cough up every new version released.

I think this model is the cheapest as I bought VDJ at version 6.05 which was released December 2009 so will have received 3 versions within 3 years for $300 when VDJ 8 hits, I have been djing for 10 years now and still obsessed, to think of the price difference if I had vdj vs traktor for all those years the cost would definitely add up to two or three times the cost, but these are the time frames NI must be counting on releasing the software as cheap as they are...
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

You can't use the inputs on the controller without upgrading, you can't use all the effects... etc you literally can't use pieces of the hardware without purchasing the software upgrade. That's pretty shitty.

the effects plugins are community developed, you have the same crappy ones that atomix made that get released with Pro. Timecode control is the only thing you don't get out of the box but again stanton have made the choice to forgo features to keep costs down, especially considering the small amount of consumers who would actually use timecode.

If you want to compare traktor again they don't even allow timecode without expensive hardware, and their LE doesn't have all the effects included either, just enough to wet your appetite. I think you are expecting too much for what you paid and getting frustrated by the wrong company. It's the hardware company who has final say on what gets included, just look at the hercules rmx which offers timecode and specific shift functioning called "djc buttons" created for the device & the upgrade is only $150 because they would have paid more initially. This shows VDJ LE can have anything from the full version that companies choose.

Tech Wizard

Dude, They limit the functionality of your controller if you don't have the full version. cant use all the effects settings on the controller, can't use the inputs. certain aspects of the hardware are inaccessible unless you purchase the full version.

No mapping from atomix has all the effect sliders mapped because there is no defined standard like traktors 4 or serato's 2, you can have as many as there is in a plugin, With guitar rig run as a vst I have had 60 sliders which can all be mapped to controllers when I was playing around with it "in Pro of course", good luck with whatever you choose I've said my piece and this is going nowhere as I'm never going to change my opinion and probably neither are you... but I came from a time when I spent at least $100 a week on vinyl (that's 6 a side tracks)

i picked this up hoping to run two turntables into it and do some mixing as a stand alone mixer because it has 2 rca inputs and there both switchable from line to phono, as this turns out it is not a stand alone mixer. it has its own power supply INPUT. it doesn't come with a power supply. stanton says that this is for people who have a later model laptop witch might not have enuf power to run it or just as back up power. this mixer is pretty cool if you want to do just digital files and not run real vinyls. ive only had it for 2 days and im still learning how to use it to my understandings, I haven't been able to get the headphones to work (still need to mess around with the sound card settings). ive read that you can run turntables into it but you have to upgrade to vdj pro for 250 something or other. i did the 20 day vdj pro trial and have got no where. also says it can be used with traktor pro 2 but have not found any mappings yet. this is still pretty brand new and hope to see some positive results out of this. on one last note this mixer is kind of like the wii as it has a dvd drive but doesnt play dvds.

To get the headphones working choose "headphones" as the output... If the trial is still active to select "timecodes" as the input, then go into the timecode config to set up the type of vinyl you are using "serato, traktor mk1, numark".

thank you synthe1c i do still have the trial and did get it to work with the time codes. i was wondering if you could help me with some more questions. i have the stanton djc.4, 2 stanton t.55 usb turntables, traktor pro 2 software with time code vinyls, and over 300 vinyls(that i would love to use to mix and scratch with). So my question is can i use what i have to mix my vinyl albums? is it possible that there is a software that will allow this pretty little machine to mix 2 vinyl albums since it will mix 2 time coded vinyls? and last ive been searching for hours trying to find midi mappings that will work with traktor pro 2 and i haven't came across anything, my assumption is that it is still very new and it just hasn't been released or made. i read some where that the djc.4 came with mappings for vdj and traktor but i haven't been able to find anything for trakor. I'm hoping i made the right purchases to be able to mix my vinyls as well as do some digital mixing. thanks again.

just press the "aux" button on the skin to play the live input instead of using timecode.

...or you map "linein" to one pair of controls. There is a heaps of different ways you could map it under shifts on different buttons if you don't want to sacrifice any functionality... if you want help with the script just tell me the buttons you want to do it with.

Traktor won't work with the soundcard but you may be able to tell traktor the input is a microphone and route it to a deck so you can use the eq and effects normally, but not sure as I don't use traktor although that's possible in vdj using advanced sound config "not that it's necessary" .

Actually looking at it a good candidate for mapping it might be the shifted scratch mode button, If you add the led it will blink if the timecode is bypassed as well as work with vinyl mode for the controller that's just

button
    var '$shift' ? linein : vinyl_mode

led (to add the led choose it in the dropdown menu next to the "key learn" button.)
    linein on ? blink : vinyl_mode on ? blink : off
    Last edited by synthet1c; 07-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast