Kontrol S4 Super Effects Mapping - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Cheers!

The way you've handled the limitation of the S4's internal mapping is applausable! It's so smart to reuse the original FX slot position and enhance it with additional commands!

My last night's assumption that I need more complex modifiers to examine both FX Unit 1&2's states was wrong - only one is sufficient per mapping. Each part uses either unit 1 or unit 2, so checking the state of the respective unit is more than enough. I managed to improve the mapping of Unit 1 with Cond2: "FX Panel Mode.FX Unit 1=0", which results in disabling the extra combo actions once FX Unit 1 is advanced mode. So far, so good and I'm starting to learn more about the mappings

I will also try Yul's suggestions about the double shift and will also check if the scope of the modifiers is really within the same tsi/mapping/device only. If that works (very likely, since he says it), there'll be enough free modifiers to implement the activation toggle and some other features later.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    Cheers!

My last night's assumption that I need more complex modifiers to examine both FX Unit 1&2's states was wrong - only one is sufficient per mapping. Each part uses either unit 1 or unit 2, so checking the state of the respective unit is more than enough. I managed to improve the mapping of Unit 1 with Cond2: "FX Panel Mode.FX Unit 1=0", which results in disabling the extra combo actions once FX Unit 1 is advanced mode. So far, so good and I'm starting to learn more about the mappings
    Thats great loop, please post once you make some progress. I'd love some help on this! =)
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

I've managed to achieve GREAT results! I have succeeded with the implementation of a complete on/off toggle for deck A.

Yul is right - The modifiers' scope is within a map/tsi. That frees up 4 of the modifiers immediately. I've used M5 (on deck A's tsi) to implement the toggle.

Additionally, I came up with an idea to use the available FX assign buttons to toggle the Combos mode. That means that for channel "A", you just need to press the unused "Ch. A->FX2" button and the effector enters the combos mode. Since the button is not usable in 4 banks mode, that makes PERFECT sense! The toggle switch also takes care to set the unit in group mode, if it's in advanced. Indication if the SE mode is available as Beat Phase Monitor on the FX2 button's LED

Once activated, the Super Effects mode can be deactivated by either pressing back the FX2 button or by pressing the "FX Mode" (group/advanced). Both the activation and the deactivation are reseting all the modifiers & FX unit states, which makes the mapping very robust.

I still need to complete the mapping enhancements for Deck B/right hand side, but Deck A is already very stable, flexible, robust and most important of all - A GREAT FUN

Once I'm done with this stage of enhancements, I will upload a beta version of the mapping. Hope to be done with it by late tonight.

As a next step, I'm thinking to build simple enhancement to allow Super Effects assignments on decks C&D. The way i see it doable is to:
    1. prepare the fx presets, unit assignments and other preparations on the "toggle" event.
    2. fix-up the use of modifiers in deck B mapping
    3. implement simple approach for assignments of the Left/Right mappings to decks C&D by just using the respective toggle switch. I don't intend to build two new TSIs, I will just try enhancing the current ones - should work fine with certain limitations.

will keep you posted!

Tech Guru

Wow...With a toggle we can probably come up with some new combos.

Excellent work Loop, thanks for testing. What button are you using as the toggle?
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

the best ones: on Ch A - the FX2 button; on Ch B - the FX1 button. This gives us LED indication and is the most logical choice, imo.

I managed to improve the mapping of Unit 1 with Cond2: "FX Panel Mode.FX Unit 1=0"
    Whatever the mapping it is always better to use the integrated modifier conditions that exist outside the numerical ones. Whatever your mapping system this one will stay always true and available to be read by the hardware true and can't be disrupted in itself.

If that works (very likely, since he says it)...
    never trust me, I'm no stranger of mistakes on this thing, but thanks I 'll take that as a compliment.

Wow...With a toggle we can probably come up with some new combos
    Oh yes. I have one control on the s4 that has 16 'modes' without counting the native ones. By '16' modes I mean it control FXs differently depending on a matrix of 16 different events. That's a huge amount of combinations of settings that were mapped individually for just one control.

the best ones: on Ch A - the FX2 button; on Ch B - the FX1 button. This gives us LED indication and is the most logical choice, imo.
    Probably. It has a shift function by nature, need to include that.
    Last edited by Yul; 06-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Tech Guru

Lightbulb New version with Super effects toggle

I'm done with the toggle improvement of the "S4 Super Effects 1.tsi" mapping!

What has been changed & improved:
    1. Super Effects mode can be switched on or off. If off, the S4 works by default in 4FX mode
    2. To activate Super FX:
    a) on channel A, you need to press Ch. A -> FX Assign 2 (the small button below the Gain encoder). To deactivate it, press the FX2 button again.
    b) on channel B, you need to press Ch. B -> FX Assign 1 . To deactivate it, press the FX 1 again.
    c) to prevent mistakes, there is an additional toggle off from the SE mode - you could either press or the FX mode buttons (the group/advanced toggles) or press the respective (A/1 or B/2) FX assign buttons.
    3. All buttons and LEDs are now properly synced across all FX units upon activation/deactivation of the Super Effects mode.
    4. There is a visual indication when the SE mode is on - the respective FX buttons blinks in beat.
    5. All FX functions on the S4 work as per the default mapping when the SE mode is not active. You can use the FX units however you wish and the toggle will take care to set all up properly for Super Effects mode.
    6. A minor bug with Deck B mapping and the T3Delay got fixed in between.

Known issues:
    1. Super FX mode on both Deck A & B at the same time does not work properly. Could be fixed at the cost of mirroring FX units 3 & 4. (no advanced delay in unit 4 - BigBeatzz, what do you think?).
    2. Decks C & D are not implemented yet. Sort of related to #1 above.

The mapping can be downloaded in 2 different formats.
    1. As a complete mapping - the same format as the original v1. You need to import both the Controller Mappings and the Effects Settings. You will loose the current controller mappings, so you need to backup and restore properly
    2. As two separate TSIs - one for the left and one for the right side. These you can import easier without loosing data. NOTE that you NEED TO HAVE THE FX settings properly configured for this to work. This includes 4FX units and all relevant FXs enabled.

Feedback is more than welcome!
    Last edited by loop; 06-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Whatever the mapping it is always better to use the integrated modifier conditions that exist outside the numerical ones. Whatever your mapping system this one will stay always true and available to be read by the hardware true and can't be disrupted in itself.
    I feel the same and I initially implemented the improvement using the built-in modifier. However, for the use case we are after, that's not what is needed. I had to make the condition with a custom numeric (M5 in my case) one. That's good, as it will give me the ability to add few pages of effect presets (m5=1; m5=2; etc ...).

never trust me, I'm no stranger of mistakes on this thing, but thanks I 'll take that as a compliment.
    Indeed it's a compliment! well, I still left some probability note in the original stament

Oh yes. I have one control on the s4 that has 16 'modes' without counting the native ones. By '16' modes I mean it control FXs differently depending on a matrix of 16 different events. That's a huge amount of combinations of settings that were mapped individually for just one control.
    I'd really love to see a demo of your more recent S4 mapping improvements. Please, please, please - don't worry if it'll be a short dirty mix - you always manage to have them both inspirational and musical

Probably. It has a shift function by nature, need to include that.
    The SHIFT function opens up a lot more possibilities, you're right. For now, I just use the inactive FX button of the channel in 4FX mode. The button is basically unused in 4FX mode - it was sitting there crying to be assigned. The built-in X-Fader assignment is VERY EASY to disable/modify so that practically opens-up a at least two more buttons to fill in with even more FX combos and/or other features. I may leave the right Shift as X-F assign and have the left+FX1/2 as a pair of more useful shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz
    Wow...With a toggle we can probably come up with some new combos.
    If you would agree to disable the FX4 unit - the Midifighter Freeze (would help to build decks C&D support), the same button can be used to activate a different combo preset. It can simply set a new state of the toggle modifier (e.g. M5=2) and duplicate the mappings for additional FX presets. It makes sense IMO - this way, we can have both sides as two symmetrical and independent FX engines. The combos will need to be on up to two units max, but that's still better than one .

And with the Shift + FX Assign idea (in place of the x-fader) ... you could safely count on at least two additional toggle modes = 2 more combo slots. It sums to like 4 total slots for combos ... Amazing!
    Last edited by loop; 06-27-2011 at 06:54 PM.

I'd really love to see a demo of your more recent S4 mapping improvements. Please, please, please - don't worry if it'll be a short dirty mix - you always manage to have them both inspirational and musical
    I worked on something completely different a Iphone/itouch companion to go alongside the S4 as an additional controller (using touchosc, what a fucking powerfull tool for something like 4 bucks, I was REALLY impressed).
    I digress, back on topic.

Tech Wizard

Guys, i really think it would be a lot easier if you record a video with the functions and post here!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast