S4 Durability - Page 3

View Poll Results: How durable/reliable is your Traktor Kontrol S4?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Bad

6 3.61%
  • Bad

10 6.02%
  • Average

47 28.31%
  • Better Than Average

62 37.35%
  • Excellent!!

41 24.70%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S4 Durability

sebastiannz

hmm i was happy with the build quality until i noticed a problem with my 'c' channel fader. it leaks when at 0 volume so you have to use the cross fader to silence the channel. annoying but not a gamebreaker.

like the other poster, i would prefer to pay more and get high build quality (like a macbook pro standard quality).

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    hmm i was happy with the build quality until i noticed a problem with my 'c' channel fader. it leaks when at 0 volume so you have to use the cross fader to silence the channel.
    interesting ... it might be a rhetoric question, but have you tried recalibrating the faders?
    It's a simple two step process:
    1. It asks you to slide them all (2x Tempo + 4 Volume) down and press an "OK"
    2. then it asks to slide them all up and press an "OK".

as it sounds, the chances are pretty high that your issue would be solvable. If not, it might be possible for NI to eventually implement a soft fix for that ...
    Last edited by loop; 04-16-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: adding the quote, to which the response is aimed to

Quote Originally Posted by DOWN|3E4T View Post
    I had the same issue with the sweet spot issue with the headphone. I found that the issue that I was running into stem from the fact that the litte nut On the headphone jack was tighten down two much. Ty loosening the nut. I bet you that will solve your problem.
    Haha, I guess the nut also has a sweet spot then. Everything I had seen online said to tighten it more. Mine is pretty snug, so I'll try backing it off a little again. Thanks for the tip man.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Now I have more or less ditched the BCR
    :eek:

I know, but it's only sorta-ditched for DJing... Stilll use it for ableton.
    Last edited by tekki; 04-16-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

No complaint from me, just observation

I think the build quality is pretty average. Eq knobs seems to get loose pretty quick. Most used channels are less tight, the shaft come more and more loose with use. Just move their shaft in Zero position, and you'll see some MIDI signal being sent. No big deal, but I thought it would be more tough after only few months of use (Got it Nov 1st).

Like someone says, it use (or seems to use) the same parts as the X1... It may be good enough to cover the warranty, but... it's not build like tank that's for sure. On the other hand, it may stop aging to a certain level, who knows... nobody, it's still it's first year.

I LOVE it, and for the price I guess you can't really expect better with THIS release, maybe on a future NI product? A&H?
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    interesting ... it might be a rhetoric question, but have you tried recalibrating the faders?
    It's a simple two step process:
    1. It asks you to slide them all (2x Tempo + 4 Volume) down and press an "OK"
    2. then it asks to slide them all up and press an "OK".

as it sounds, the chances are pretty high that your issue would be solvable. If not, it might be possible for NI to eventually implement a soft fix for that ...
    yup as I posted I thought of doing this. I recalibrated and it didn't work the first three times and then the fourth time it seems to be better now. There is still a weird 'leak' though, as in sometimes the 'on air' light will turn on even though the fader is right at the bottom. This is the same fader that is offset slightly against the volume marks, which is interesting.

So...I partially retract my criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    Haha, I guess the nut also has a sweet spot then. Everything I had seen online said to tighten it more. Mine is pretty snug, so I'll try backing it off a little again. Thanks for the tip man.
    Welcome. Let us know if that worked for you. I definitely had mine two tight. loosen it up and it was good to go after that.

-Ron

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    yup as I posted I thought of doing this. I recalibrated and it didn't work the first three times and then the fourth time it seems to be better now. There is still a weird 'leak' though, as in sometimes the 'on air' light will turn on even though the fader is right at the bottom. This is the same fader that is offset slightly against the volume marks, which is interesting.

So...I partially retract my criticism
    I now remember that i've seen your posts about it. That should be a legit reason to request hardware replacement or repair from NI.

Actually a good think to check is how the Kontrol X1's are holding up. That would give a better idea of how the S4's will hold up.
    ::: mixing music that feeds the soul ::: iTunes | House-mixes.com | Mixcloud
    "If the music you're listening to doesn't give you goosebumps, you're listening to the wrong genre."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast