The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 22
Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

After seeing the Ikea article I decided I need to jump on this. The picture I have is of my current setup, as you can see there is a lot of wasted space beneath my tables. My rooms pretty cluttered as is so anything I can do to tighten things up a bit is always welcome.

I was thinking about doing the expedit cases but just placing my existing table on top of it so that I can still have the nice depth.

Currently each desk measures at 23.5" L x 47" W.

My main concern with doing this is my tables are pretty big so there'd be quite of bit of overhang. Also if I used legs to suspend the table top from the book case to give it the height I need i'm afraid it could fall over. Also since my floor is carpet that could make the book case slip.

This current setup is annoying for 2 reasons. 1) Obviously its wasted space and always leaves my desk and workspace cluttered. 2) Due to the height and lack of overall support, the tables wobble while i'm scratching (also a concern that the table will fall over.)
    Last edited by tekki; 08-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Some people have been PMing me for a complete parts list so I'll post this here too

Quote Originally Posted by hgonzal214
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular
    Quote Originally Posted by hgonzal214
    I really like your DJ Booth that you made with the Ikea products!! Can you give me the list of everything you brought please.
    Check the thread I posted the full list in there somewhere
    I could not find it
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/ x2

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/ x3

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ I only needed two of these but if you are screwing into a plywood top plate (easiest thing to do if you dont have the monitor stand top plates I had laying around) then get 4 of them to use the plate from the second set to screw through

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ one of these

I just used a piece of hard wood for the laptop shelf they cut to size for me at home depot (it is the right width at about a foot look in the hard wood isle) then just have them cut it to the length you need. Then I just spray painted it black. Have them cut pieces for you for the monitor shelves too unless you can find top plates like I use.

I used three of these light kits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

From lowes or home depot you will need some screws, bolts, nuts, and washers. Look in the thread at pics. You will want to slightly widen the holes on the plates of the godmorgon legs to fit some long bolts to go through the expedit top and be able to fit some big thick washers that you can bolt too. You really need big thick washers like I show in the pic and I just slightly enlarged the holes on the metal top plate which is easy to do with a drill. Just measure the thickness of the expedit to find out how long of bolts you need and I just had to barely widen the holes for them to fit.

For the capita brackets you will need to get the longest metric bolts of that size they have. Just bring a capita bracket with you when you are shopping for bolts and look in the metric specialty bins it is the longest length they have. It is very important you get metrc, there will be some standard bolts that kind of seem like they fit but they dont wont work.

Grab some big wide washers to distribute the pressure for those metric bolts from the standard thread bolt section.

Get some gorilla glue to assemble the expedits

I'm not sure what they are called but you need some of the galvanized metal braces with the holes predrilled in them. You will want to attach the two expedits together using these after you assemble each one separately with the gorilla glue. Be sure you attach the expedits together by bracing the center 1/2" particle board shelves together.

The big thick edges might as well be hollow so it doesn't do too much screwing into them which is why the monitor stands and capita brackets have to bolted through it entirely with big wide washers to sandwich it since just screwing into it would probably rip out.

I initially got some lack shelves to use for the monitor stand tops and the laptop stand but I wouldn't want to really screw into them and they have ugly open backs

edit:

also the hooks http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-22-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Tech Mentor

Something im building at the moment

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ght=impossible
    2 x Technics 1200 mk2 | Xone 22 | Torq 2.0 | Akai LPD8 | Sennheiser HD25-1 mk2 Adidas | KRK RP6 G2 | that is all

Tech Mentor

I've made an alternative IKEA controller table that is cheap and portable;

This is built from 2 MUDDUS tables
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10125113/

I use this as a training set up in the house, when I'm out I'm not always in a club so when there is no booth this comes with me, it's easily portable and I really like the fact I dont have to face the wall when I'm practising.

I've installed a 6 way filtered socket outlet point under the table for all the feeds that are needed for a real gig. The table top sits 930mm high (37" for the metrically challenged) and for me is the perfect hight to avoid fatigue when playing a long set.

I've got a midi fighter on order and there is plenty of room for it on the side of the desk. Cables are routed with velcro straps and it's even got a mike bracket fitted.

The two shelves hold amps no problem and I have a flashy logo'd up little mirror I can put on the front to hide the set up - 70's style!

Overall, this works really well, is built solidly and costs a third of money that after-market portable DJ tables cost. Really happy with it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    Inspired by this thread I thought it was time for a new (first) desk for my DJ gear, so I would have my normal desk back for.... well... normal desk stuff.

Here's the result:

Am really happy with the result. Especially all the logical room I have left now for additional gear (perhaps 2 Xone 1d's?) and the height, which is always an issue being 1 meter 94.
    is that one or two bookshevles?
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Looks like one.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Z View Post
    Before:

And after:

Is that one or two bookcases, and if u have one did u get the bench top for it to be bigger??
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

i need to see if this will work for setting up the turntables battle style.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Well, one thing I have seen, that the Expedit is not deep enough to fit TTs in battle setup.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    i need to see if this will work for setting up the turntables battle style.
    The Expedit is short by a few inches. Just add a table top thick enough to support everything and you're set.