Mixed in key worth it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes Internet connection required. I honesty have always just used y ears to gauge the comparability of tracks but I wanted to see if it was good enough to e able to blindly build a set and progress it and Bring it back by issuing just the key analyzation. Of the software in my mind it can be that accurate. My next test is going to be usuing it to build a country set just to see if I can do an hour of it.

from a djtt member. free, awesome http://www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    do you use it?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

MIK worth it? No.
    Harmonic mixing? Yes. Just use Traktor or the FREE KeyFinder.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    do you use it?
    yes! got rid of mik ages ago bruv
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

It's useful to have, but not worth paying for.

I find that most DJ softwares are not really reliable when it comes to analyzing tracks and finding which key they're in. It's wrong half the time, from my past experiences anyway. I don't use DJ softwares anymore, so I decided to try "mixed in key" as an alternative and I like it, but on beatport it gives you the key of the song. lol

Tech Wizard

In my experience, Traktor probably gets it right about 50% of the time - and I've never used MIK.

What I normally do when importing a track is let the program analyze it. Then I'll play the song and grab my guitar (or piano, etc, whatever works for you), and play that chord with the song. If it sounds incorrect, I'll try to figure it out on my own. Also, if the track is available on Beatport, I'll also check to see what they have set as the key. I've noticed Beatport to be very accurate.

Also, when I'm doing this, I'll switch the key display from "Open Key" to "Musical" (I believe you can find this under Analyze Options under Traktor config, or something like that), just because it's a little easier to play a Cm on a guitar or piano rather than a 5m, or whatever it is hah.

This all takes a little bit of knowledge of music theory, but it's pretty basic but does help ensure accuracy. And hey, you're working with music anyway, it's always good to brush up on the basics!
    Macbook Pro
    Traktor Pro 2 | Kontrol S2 | LPD8
    Ableton Live | Ableton Push

Quote Originally Posted by elmgroove View Post
    In my experience, Traktor probably gets it right about 50% of the time - and I've never used MIK.

What I normally do when importing a track is let the program analyze it. Then I'll play the song and grab my guitar (or piano, etc, whatever works for you), and play that chord with the song. If it sounds incorrect, I'll try to figure it out on my own. Also, if the track is available on Beatport, I'll also check to see what they have set as the key. I've noticed Beatport to be very accurate.

Also, when I'm doing this, I'll switch the key display from "Open Key" to "Musical" (I believe you can find this under Analyze Options under Traktor config, or something like that), just because it's a little easier to play a Cm on a guitar or piano rather than a 5m, or whatever it is hah.

This all takes a little bit of knowledge of music theory, but it's pretty basic but does help ensure accuracy. And hey, you're working with music anyway, it's always good to brush up on the basics!
    I think MIK is great, and was worth the money for me as traktor hadn't introduced key analysis when I bought it (either that or I stilil hadn't figured it out!). I find it to be accurate and makes my sets a lot more interesting and dynamic, being able to mix harmonically, but as the post above mentions, its definitely worth knowing your way around some simple music theory (I.e the circle of fifths), unless you have perfect pitch, or relative pitch, in which case I am very envious?

Does anyone in here have perfect/relative pitch?
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Ill give this a shot sometime looks interesting.
    I have never found the need to use key finder software just wanted to try one see if it would fit in my workflow. I do find I look at the key field and maybe not let it determine what I mix next but definitely influences my choice

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir View Post
    I think MIK is great, and was worth the money for me as traktor hadn't introduced key analysis when I bought it (either that or I stilil hadn't figured it out!). I find it to be accurate and makes my sets a lot more interesting and dynamic, being able to mix harmonically, but as the post above mentions, its definitely worth knowing your way around some simple music theory (I.e the circle of fifths), unless you have perfect pitch, or relative pitch, in which case I am very envious?

Does anyone in here have perfect/relative pitch?
    I have perfect pitch...but my music theory sucks
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast