A question for all the dubstep goers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If they cant blend very well, i try and find a relatively clean part of the tune, usually the intro if its an instrumental, and use a cue point to switch to it, then have the next track's vocals/synthee bits etc come in over the top for about a minute and cut in when the bass starts going ''Wububububaaa''

If thats makes any sense....

There is so much wrong with this thread - I don't know where to start.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    What do you find so repulsive? People are just giving advice/opinions on what works.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Patch, just had a butchers at your SC page, really like the 'Enter the Natural Mystic' track, would slip in nicely on my Rave Breaks/Future Jungle bit on me radio show. Is there a version available to play? Speaking of Nu-Rave, couple of the other DJ's on there are Brizzol based and I'm not too far from there myself. Things are moving forward with the station in the New Year and looking for some additional DJ's/Shows, just wondered if you're interested? Probably ought to take this off line. I'll follow you on SC in sec.

BTTF aka Lofty
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Wizard

I understand where Patch is coming from.
    This is one of the problems that arises when people learn to DJ this way. Just because your tracks dont have corresponding keys next to them does not mean they are not compatible. Mixing in key is supposed to be used as a guideline to help you plan and control the flow of energy. It is not meant to be some unspoken rule that says your sets must follow a harmonic pattern! They dont. Your set does not need to follow predictable keys just as it does not need to be a specific temp the whole time. Sets are supposed to be dynamic, spontaneous, and engaging. Nit picking details of your sets like this is a major crutch. It narrows your focus down into irrelevant technical aspects when your time would be better spent just playing around with the songs in your set.

Another reason people get so sensitive about this topic is because they ARE trying to improve. People have a hard time taking criticism about something they put so much effort into. This usually results in newer, "up-and-coming" DJs that are completely close-minded and think anybody talking about the way they perform is attacking them. The reason that this bothers me enough to actually say something is because this attitude is contrary to the supportive, educational group dynamic that is so important. Furthermore, it gets masked in this facade of "tips" and "effect combinations" so people actually do think they are getting better.

I'm not coming down on you! I just want to add some perspective. I will follow up with a more helpful comment. I just had to get that off my chest.

Tech Guru

Make sure you mess with the order of your songs to experiment
    Loops are your friend. Especially to make your own transitions & breakdowns
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bears'N'Backpacks View Post
    I understand where Patch is coming from.
    This is one of the problems that arises when people learn to DJ this way. Just because your tracks dont have corresponding keys next to them does not mean they are not compatible. Mixing in key is supposed to be used as a guideline to help you plan and control the flow of energy. It is not meant to be some unspoken rule that says your sets must follow a harmonic pattern! They dont. Your set does not need to follow predictable keys just as it does not need to be a specific temp the whole time. Sets are supposed to be dynamic, spontaneous, and engaging. Nit picking details of your sets like this is a major crutch. It narrows your focus down into irrelevant technical aspects when your time would be better spent just playing around with the songs in your set.
    Again, this applies only to transition DJs. If you're actually MIXING, they should always be in compatible keys. Don't knock strict harmonic mixing. It encourages DJs to actually mix, rather than do 64-bit transitions during breakdowns. I Don't care how smooth you get at that, it's crap compared to actual DJing.

^Isn't mixing in key better as "just a guideline" ? I mean I have all my records labeled with the key but honestly isn't the general vibe of the song and what music you want to bring for your audience in the limited time that you have just as important ?

Seamless, 10/10 transitions (or mixes if you want to distinguish) are possible, if not common with music in conflicting keys.

Just my €0,02

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyflip View Post
    Again, this applies only to transition DJs. If you're actually MIXING, they should always be in compatible keys. Don't knock strict harmonic mixing. It encourages DJs to actually mix, rather than do 64-bit transitions during breakdowns. I Don't care how smooth you get at that, it's crap compared to actual DJing.
    i agree

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    ^Isn't mixing in key better as "just a guideline" ? I mean I have all my records labeled with the key but honestly isn't the general vibe of the song and what music you want to bring for your audience in the limited time that you have just as important ?

Seamless, 10/10 transitions (or mixes if you want to distinguish) are possible, if not common with music in conflicting keys.

Just my €0,02
    if you are blending tracks mixing in key is not just a guideline as all of your blends need to be harmonically compatible. i'm not talking about some software key assignment or camelot wheel, i'm talking about using your ears. if your transitions are in conflicting keys, then they are dissonant. if your transitions are dissonant, then they are wrong...a mistake has been made and they will sound various levels of bad based on how conflicting the keys are. just as there are songs that can be in key that will conflict in other ways, and that's not acceptable either. i don't agree that the general vibe and music i want to bring to an audience is more important than not mixing dissonant songs together the whole time. a good dj needs to always keep all of these things in mind.

now there are caveats to that. one would be blending more atonal sounds like tech house or techno, or the more atonal parts of songs with melodies where there are only percussive elements. you can only mix songs with conflicting keys if they melodies don't overlap...and even then if the second track's melody comes in directly after the first track's melody stops, it can still sound off. if you leave too much space between the melodies or bass, then it can sound boring. it's all about balance and finding the transitions that sound best.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12