VST Instruments EVERYONE Should Have - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

PT works just fine with MIDI. And I use it primarily with audio bounced from Maschine anyway, so that's vaguely true. But it's not like Electronic = Ableton. Not by a long shot. If nothing else, Ableton doesn't have a score editor. For the few of us who can read music, that's a detractor. Plus, Live doesn't seem to have anything as worry-free as Avid's Channel Strip, and the interface is just clunky.

I'm not saying PT is better…just that there is no best solution. I own both, as well as Logic…and PT is the only one installed. I only haven't sold Logic because of laziness and Ableton because I may use it to DJ again in the future. I certainly don't want to pay that price again, and PT was cheaper with an educational discount ($295 instead of the regular like $900 that I'd still probably pay if I had to).

And, again, the comment about macs and viruses is just wrong.

And I'm an Apple fanboy.

Apple has relied on smaller market share making them an unattractive target. That may not be the case moving forward, and MS does released security updates a lot more often than Apple does. It doesn't matter…just have a virus scanner and run it on any files you don't explicitly trust and occasionally just for the heck of it because there is no such thing as a completely secure computer, especially when the default install comes with heinously outdated copies of OpenSSH and Apache…which have much larger market shares than Apple and will always be imperfect.

Telling people they don't need to take basic precautions because they run OS X is just plain ignorant.

Frankly, I'm surprised that OS X and iOS haven't been bigger targets than they are because of that viewpoint. As long as the virus didn't impede performance or damage the system, it'd be years before most OS X users would notice it. An undisturbed bot net operating in the wild for years at a time would be a dream to some people.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by FILTHZ View Post
    ..It may look better than Ableton, but I bet if you ask any EDM artist, they will say Ableton Live is their go to DAW.

Ha. I produce EDM... will use anything BUT Ableton.. I personally do not jive with it at all. Cubase and Reaper here...

Anyone else messed with Diva??
    Its going to be my next purchase for sure. Been using the demo for about 3 weeks now and I love it.. Butttt, in Diva mode its a HOGGGGG! Def need to throw some cash on a faster studio rig.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

I really do like Sylenth1, pretty much my go to synth.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by drewspuppet View Post
    Ha. I produce EDM... will use anything BUT Ableton.. I personally do not jive with it at all. Cubase and Reaper here...
    You use two of the worst DAW's I have ever come into contact with.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by m00n View Post
    Anyone else messed with Diva??
    Its going to be my next purchase for sure. Been using the demo for about 3 weeks now and I love it.. Butttt, in Diva mode its a HOGGGGG! Def need to throw some cash on a faster studio rig.
    Just had a look at the U-HE website. I had never heard of them until you brought up Diva. I am very impressed and am definitely considering throwing some cash in that direction. Diva looks hectic.

Tech Mentor

First of all, I will start by saying that if you are going to start producing music or already are, you should have a MacBook Pro or an iMac running Ableton Live. (IMHO) (UNTIL BITWIG IS RELEASED!)

With Ableton Live, there is only a small selection of VST Instruments that you should need to use. These include:
    • NI Massive
    • DCAM Synth Squad
    • NI Battery 3

These 3 instruments, along with all of Ableton's FX and Instruments are all you need for an unlimited amount of awesome productions.
    sorry, I'll keep my Mac Pro and synths that I already have.

No offence, but I think Pro Tools is more of a DAW for Artists that use Analog Instruments such as Guitars, Pianos, Drums, etc. It may look better than Ableton, but I bet if you ask any EDM artist, they will say Ableton Live is their go to DAW.
    You use two of the worst DAW's I have ever come into contact with.
    well that's their prerogative to use what "clicks" with them and music production. Pro Tools is a good program too and any style of music can be written in it. Personally, I use Live, but have used Pro Tools on occasion.

I honestly have only ever used Diva, and thats just recently with a trial version. I was more then impressed with it.

I have heard people talk about Zebra and MFM2, but I have no personal experience with them. Good company though that has some quality(aesthetic and acoustically) virtual synths, IMO.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I really do like Sylenth1, pretty much my go to synth.
    I have heard a lot of good things about Sylenth, but I am very much a perfectionist and can only really like a synth if it looks as good as it sounds. I guess that is why I use Massive, Synth Squad and Battery so much, because they also look good.

And I guess that is also why I like Mac's so much... Because they are clean and simple, same goes with Ableton.

The comment about Microsoft not updating Windows to make it more secure is wrong. Microsoft constantly updates Windows, especially for security reasons.

Edit/- The problem is they have to too often.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast