Will my Laptop Run Traktor Pro 2? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Instead of always upgrading the windows laptop evert 2 years, and purchasing virus protection ( Norton Anti-Virus ) which isn't free. You have to pay for virus protection and that isn't cheap.
    I've never used virus protection on my PC's... I think I got a virus once... entirely my fault, too.

Macs on the other hand you don't pay for virus protection they never get viruses and live a lot longer then your average windows pc.
    You can't compare a Macbook Pro to a entry level consumer notebook... Of course it's going to last longer. Now if you compare it to a Dell Precision or HP Elitebook, then we are talking a proper comparison. And Macs CAN get viruses... there simply aren't that many being developed for them, which leads people to believe Macs "never get viruses."

Think about the long run.. Will you upgraded more parts in your pc over the next years? New ram? New Sound card? Video Card?
    Etc.. The cost is about the same to a 1,200.00 macbook pro which comes stock with the top of the line processor & ram.

Why would you need to upgrade a basic machine that can run Traktor flawlessly? It's not like PC RAM is any different from or ages any more quickly than Mac RAM. I have a Lenovo T61 from 2005 that still runs Traktor like a champ... no upgrades. P.S. Even a $2,000 MBP does not come with "top of the line" hardware. The PC market holds the crown for having the most advanced hardware available. But then again, this discussion is moot because you really don't need that advanced of a computer to run DJ software...

I would lean towards the 1,200.00 macbook pro 13" thats what i have
    If it works for you, great. Doesn't mean it's the only option. Personally, I dislike the low resolution on those.
    Last edited by sss18734; 03-15-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Macs on the other hand you don't pay for virus protection they never get viruses and live a lot longer then your average windows pc.
    You can't compare a Macbook Pro to a entry level consumer notebook... Of course it's going to last longer. Now if you compare it to a Dell Precision or HP Elitebook, then we are talking a proper comparison. And Macs CAN get viruses... there simply aren't that many being developed for them, which leads people to believe Macs "never get viruses."

This is so on point. +1

agree with the last few posters. nothing wrong with getting a mac as they should run smoother "out of the box" and the build quality is excellent. this is the reason why they last "5 years", not because they are specced better than a windows laptop. a £500 laptop will have the exact same internals as a £1200 mac!! you're paying extra for style and build quality (which you'd get with a dearer laptop also)

also agree on the viruses. if you was to develop a virus with the intention of infecting as many people as possible would you spend your time developing it for windows or osx? (windows has more users worldwide). i'd strongly recommend comodo anti-virus for free. avg is also good. (or just dont open dodgy attachments or open dodgy links!!)

personally I have a HP G62 i3 4GB RAM laptop and it runs traktor fine (can even switch to firefox and brose the net via wifi with 2 tracks playing simultaneously). if its your only laptop i'd suggest dual booting so you have a "clean" install for djing and a regular install for web surfing, gaming etc.
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

I like the idea of a Macbook Pro 13" working perfect right out of the box. I just want to plug in and play with no problems. This has me leaning toward a Mac at the moment. It's going to take me an extra 2 weeks to save up for it, but it sure sounds worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioOutlaw View Post
    I like the idea of a Macbook Pro 13" working perfect right out of the box. I just want to plug in and play with no problems. This has me leaning toward a Mac at the moment. It's going to take me an extra 2 weeks to save up for it, but it sure sounds worth it to me.
    if it's only gunna take 2 weeks longer to save for the mac i say go for it. if you can save money that easily though you should aim for a pair of cdj2000s by the end of summer
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdamDaniel View Post
    if it's only gunna take 2 weeks longer to save for the mac i say go for it. if you can save money that easily though you should aim for a pair of cdj2000s by the end of summer
    At the very best, I can save $400 a paycheck. With what I have saved already, that is 6 more weeks to go minimum. I might have to wait the extra 2 weeks for the headphones and accessories. Thats 2 more months of waiting. I dont think I could wait any longer if I want to get my first gig by this summer because I'll still have to do live sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12