s2 mixing two songs question. - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Banned

Great video brings me confidence. Makes me wanna try and play two off beat songs now and see if all the drunk people dance anyways haha :P

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ExTrCt. View Post
    Great video brings me confidence. Makes me wanna try and play two off beat songs now and see if all the drunk people dance anyways haha :P
    "nobody cares"......hahaha

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    "nobody cares"......hahaha
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DJAdamDaniel View Post
    Alright i will watch those videos later today, I've got a math test to do.

Been trying to manage school and practice on my gear at least 2 hours a day.

How many hours a day do you guys practice? Just curious. I try and do 1 hour to 2 hours of learning then my ears get sore from headphones blaring music. I need some good speakers and a desk. I just have my computer on a small stand then my s2 on the bed next to the computer lol.

at the min i get maybe 2 hours a week practice with the s2, but i work full-time, am doing a part-time mechanical engineering degree, teach at a dj society, gig and have a missus to try n keep happy! lol

the technicalities should only take maybe 5/6 hours, the bit that normally needs practice is being able to tell which track is ahead/behind the other, when do move fader/eq from one track to another etc.

also, some people will never learn to dj, these are generally the same people who cant dance in time or even clap in time to a song, these people will never learn to mix even with a sync button!!! (ive tried believe me!)

really get your hear round beats,bars, downbeats (start songs at random points and see how long it takes you to identify the first beat of a bar, and then the first beat of a 4 or 8 bar section. most djs should be able to pick that out in a couple of bars (vocal-only sections aside!) first, unfortunately it's more math! lol. but they are the building blocks, the dna of a beat-matched dj set!

finally, i find moving in time to the music helps a lot, especially with starting a track (prob more important on cdjs) and picking out downbeats. move your head, foot, finger, ass, whatever, just move! (if the music aint making you move you're probably playing music you dont like anyway!)
    Last edited by DJAdamDaniel; 01-27-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: add more info
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

In additions to the normal transitions, you can throw effects on a track to get it to match up to an existing playing track. Gater can be a very handy tool. Last night I took a 1/8 loop of some synth, threw some reverb on it, then gated the hell out of it and brought it in over the drumbeat. It matched up nicely with the drumbeat and as the drums faded out to a closing synth noise, I faded out the filters and released the loop and transitioned into the new song. (I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but it sounded cool last night.)

Moral of the story, filters can help when songs don't quite mesh. I've been trying to play more Indie Dance type stuff where the beats/drums float a bit, especially when the band has a live drummer. Filters help a lot when I can't get the transition to work smoothly on its own.

And really, the more you practice, the better you'll get. If you just started on the 19th, give yourself some time, you'll get the hang of it. I just started messing around in August...with a full time job, I don't get much practice time. I'll never be awesome, but as long as I'm having fun, thats all that matters.
    nope.

Banned

Yeah even when i press sync its still not good transitions as you can tell by the songs in my signature lol.

I just tried last night with the new tricks i learned, didn't get any great transitions in. But i learned how to save parts of the song and drop them down into the sample deck and play them as samples. Thats very helpful.

I like your indie house song. Open up your mind, thats a good song A+
    Goodjob.

Damn i hate math thats my worst subject. I will practice tonight start both songs at random points like you say. I have 4 songs total. I practice on 2 tracks over and over until something cool happens. I really want to make them work together. More practice i suppose. No job, No lady. Lots of free time, i want 1 good mix lol graghh.

Default s2 mixing two songs question.

I had so many trainwrecks in that mix...I drank too much tequila when I was doing it and thought it came out great. When I finally listened to it I was a little bummed. As you can tell from my mix cloud, I still suck a whole bunch.

I posted another one tonight. I started this mix last Sunday with about 40 tracks and worked it down to 16, playing the same mix all week and learning the tracks. Finally got it all to click tonight when I got home from work.

You might want to check out Mixed In Key and the camelot wheel...which is called the circle of fifths in the music theory world. I use mixshare's Rapid Evolution 3 (free) to key all my tracks and find the BPM. You should still play by ear, but playing songs with keys that go together can help the mix sound better as well.

As long as you're having fun practicing, that's all that matters.
    nope.

Banned

What type of gear do you use? Is Indie House the genre you prefer? Sounds good, i grew up on Goa Trance, indie house reminds me a little of Goa.

I just bought my MBP 13" s2 and xone 53 headphones on the 19th. Im enjoying all of it.

I will go listen to your mixes right now, my friday night is me staying home playing with my gear listening to other peoples music. Im having fun. Im not a fan of dub step but i thought id try to mix two heavily dub step bass songs together. Here are some sample songs that came with traktor i tried to blend them together, check it out if you get bored.

http://soundcloud.com/house-productions/dubstep-house

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast