Itch sync - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Itch sync

OK, I just got back into Itch (2.2) with a Twitch. I left in 1.7 with a DX, oh how things have changed

Sync in Itch is DIFFERENT from Traktor. First there are two Sync modes: Smart and Simple.

Simple matches the BPM of the track but lets you do the phasing yourself. Pressing SYNC will set the deck on which you pressed it at the tempo of the other deck, EVEN IF IT IS PLAYING! Be careful here, you can get a sudden jump if you press the wrong button. With Simple, the beatgrid is invisible (it's not erased, just hidden). You have to set your own phasing.

Smart works quite a bit different. First you need to set a tempo as master by pressing the SYNC button on a playing deck (basically setting the master clock). At this point the playing deck should have a BLUE "SYNC" lit on the playing virtual deck. Now pressing SYNC on the non-playing deck will highlight a GREY "SYNC" on the non-playing virtual deck. This is Sync Arm mode. Note that the Tempo will NOT change in the virtual deck yet, it only changes after you press PLAY. When you press play on the non-playing deck, it will now fall perfectly in time to the deck of the playing deck, and the "SYNC" on both decks will be BLUE. This is called Beat Sync

Watch for the YELLOW "SYNC"! This is Tempo Sync and is similar to the Simple sync described above. You will get this any time you stop a deck (either with Play/Pause or Cue). The highlighted "SYNC" will have switched to YELLOW. To get it back to GREY (i.e Sync Arm mode), press SYNC again on that deck. It's now ready to play fully quantized when you want to drop it.

Confusing? Not really, just a different work flow. It will quickly become normal after a couple of sessions
    Last edited by pilmat; 04-20-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Add that BPM will not change when a deck is put into Sync Arm, only changes when Play is pressed.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by fdawg View Post
    basically imagine I have a tack on channel A playing and I want to mix in a track from channel b. I prep it in my headphones press play and hit SYNC on channel b but it doesnt do anything (apart from the light on the sync button comes on), it doesn't adjust the tempo or line up beat grids. The only way I can get the 2 tracks to sync is by pressing the SYNC button on Channel A which then brings everything in SYNC. I then mix out Channel A and have a track playing on B, I now want to mix a new track in from channel so again I cue it in my head phones and press SYNC on channel A BUT pressing it does nothing (the light comes on so the buuton is working) so to sync the 2 tracks I have to press SYNC on channel B!

so bacially if I want to mix in a track using sync I have to press sync on the channel I already have playing rather than the track I am mixing it which I can work around but occassionally causes jumps in the track playing.

Am I doing something wrong or should I take my Twitch back? all tracks are beat gridded etc
    You have a track in deck A and you have a track cue'd up in Deck B, and you want Deck B to Synch to Deck A.

First thing I do is first: hit Synch on Deck A. This pretty much says "Deck A is the master deck." Then I hit synch on Deck B - and if the tracks are gridded nicely, voila.

Sounds like you aren't hitting synch on A first to establish the master deck. try that.

Also - once I load another track into Deck A after this - I don't need to do anything - Itch knows Deck B is now the master deck. Both Synch buttons are already lit up, and yuou are good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12