Spinning Controller - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Have a look here at my rough Idea for creating one .. My Idea was a 6-9' platter on a 1' high body so VERY portable with my notion being 2 could be clipped together for transport and add adjustable feet to sit on top a tech or pioneer in cramped booths.
    Motorized platters require two very bulky things: some big coils that are used to electromagnetically drive a heavy platter (for example, take a platter off a technics 1200, when you press start the spindle does not rotate. Put the platter back on and it will rotate). So its probably not possible to make a small motorized controller that would have adequate response with those sort of dimensions.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Motorized platters require two very bulky things: some big coils that are used to electromagnetically drive a heavy platter (for example, take a platter off a technics 1200, when you press start the spindle does not rotate. Put the platter back on and it will rotate). So its probably not possible to make a small motorized controller that would have adequate response with those sort of dimensions.
    Not quite true on all counts Technics 12xx series are pretty unique in this design as the platter actually funtions as PART of the motor...however most other turntables use an independent motor which the platter sits on.

Yes however you do need a quite bulky motor regardless, but not THAT bulky, a Vestax motor all in is about 4.5' round and 4' deep, KAM Direct drive motors were thin as hell (but zero torque) if memory serves me right.

As I mentioned before though, the motor + speed controller board is the pricy part working at around $100+ for a Vestax, Numark TTX or even gemini PDT's second hand.

Now that amount of torque may not be required depending on the weight of the platter. There are pancake DD motors available which are bloody thin but around the same price to buy new and would require building a controller board as well.

A slimmed down Controller only version of the Denon s3700 but adding USB MP3 function would be the shit! (Yes I know V7's blarg blarg).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12