What are you looking for in a Novation Launchpad mapping? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Either way its a cool idea i think i might try that

Quote Originally Posted by Razzlesnaz View Post
    I would love a launchpad step sequencer for ableton. This way I could program in my beats like the Roland TR-909.
    you can do this directly in ableton, using a whole heap of midi tracks. you basically map the launchpad buttons to unmute one of the tracks. there's a youtube video of how to do it. takes a while to setup but seems to work well if all you want is an 8-step sequencer with 8 tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I'd love to see a User 2 bank, that just had 8 ages of blank buttons so that they could be mapped to anything. Effectively giving you 8 Launchpads.

If you wanted to go wild, you could do the same for User 1, and end up with 16 Launchpads!
    that would be a pretty simple midimasher config. basically make it so that when you press user1 the right hand set of buttons then become a further set of 8 page switch buttons. using notes+cc's and 16 midi channels for each you map a whole heap of extra pages if wanted midimasher would automatically handle the resetting of led states on page switching. then the output from midimasher could be mapped to any app you wanted. when the user mode button(s) weren't activated midimasher could just route all midi as though it was a normal launchpad. i may have a go at writing that config later out of interest... as it wouldn't take much at all, mostly a bunch of loops to setup the sub pages.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Let me know if you do!!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

It might sound totally insane but number of modes in traktor can go up to maximum of 64 in one lounchpad mapping. Those upper eight round buttons can handle main eight banks and other eight on the side can be mapped like another eight banks inside of every main bank. If there is another modifier state in traktor with value 8 this mapping would require eight MIDI generic devices to work properly, but with currently 7 it makes it more complicate then it already is. I know no one will ever map it all, only giving example

This come when we speak about only eight banks too. You can easily map seven banks with one modifier because there are values 1-7 but when adding this eight bank you need to set another modifier in grid to do the trick.

possible but completely impractical, esp as all buttons/modifiers would need to be toggles and untoggle any other layer change toggle when one is activated. you'd also then not have any modifiers for normal mapping tricks.

with midimasher sitting between the launchpad and traktor you're only limited to how many ways u can think of selecting page/layer switches and it handles all the 'out's for you on layer changes - so won't get tangled up in any traktor issues there.

there is still a limit ofc to how many pages/layers you can map using just one midi device in traktor - but with 16 channels of 128 values and only needing 64 for the main grid that's a lot of potential pages best to leave channel 1 alone as then that can be used to route the launchpad data unchanged so that any normal launchpad tsi can be used on it too, but that ofc still leaves 30 pages that can be mapped, which is probably enough

and ofc, like u said, that can be expanded by adding extra midi devices in traktor, so adding each extra one of those would give an additional 32 pages (as we wouldn't need to reserve the launchpad default one for any others)

i've also created a mapping that uses the arrow buttons to scroll a much larger grid around the 8x8 launchpad one, works nicely for clip launching and stuff, but less use in traktor probably.

i was thinking of making user1 and user2 toggles, that ensure only one is toggled on at a time and when both are toggled off then the launchpad is back into vanilla mode and just routing the standard midi to and from traktor. the right hand column of buttons would light up in red when one of those user1/user2 modes were selected and the current 'page' from that bank lit up in yellow and it would remember the currently selected bank so when u hit user1 or user2 again you'd be back on the same sub page you were before.

the real power of using midimasher tho with a launchpad is to also do the actual traktor mapping in midimasher code, makes selecting colours of the buttons for off and on states really easy and stuff like 'loop' controls like we discussed on that other thread very simple and all work exactly as they should.

this bit of code creates a shift button and loop controls for decks a+b on page 1 of the launchpad. full led feedback on loop length etc even if the loops are changed in traktor or from another controller, loops are in "hold" mode unless the shift button is also pressed in which case they toggle.

hold_modifier("lp", "trkon", 1, lp_hi_yellow, lp_lo_green, "shift")

loop_sizes = { "/8", "/4", "/2", "1", "2", "4", "8", "16" }

traktor.loops("launchpad", grid("6,0", "7,3"), 1, lp_hi_green, lp_lo_green, "shift", "a", loop_sizes)
    traktor.loops("launchpad", grid("6,4", "7,7"), 1, lp_hi_green, lp_lo_green, "shift", "b", loop_sizes)
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    possible but completely impractical, esp as all buttons/modifiers would need to be toggles and untoggle any other layer change toggle when one is activated. you'd also then not have any modifiers for normal mapping tricks.
    I set it all to direct instead of toggle, this way every next button you tap it will at moment switch to other value on modifier and make it toggle LED and when you got this modifiers in position then add new device for tricks and such. Every time you switch to any other of main banks mapping will remember which mode was it before and next time you return to that bank one of the LED from sub mods will indicate it. I did a short video to show you four banks that I mapped in to one last page.

I call it DJTT mode because I fill it inspired by videos and tutorials that I watched, MF, VCI, S2 ofc jogFX can't sound exactly the same because of not sensitive encoder with low accuracy but I tried to make it as close to it as possible.

I can't even imagine all things what midimasher can do, from your words seem powerful. It's just that I'm traktor user more then ten years and i like to stick to traktor mapping as long as I can perform what comes on my mind. I'm using only loopmidi when performing live for LED outputs and some simple automation. When I create mapping that is for community then I look it to be strictly in traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I can't even imagine all things what midimasher can do, from your words seem powerful. It's just that I'm traktor user more then ten years and i like to stick to traktor mapping as long as I can perform what comes on my mind. I'm using only loopmidi when performing live for LED outputs and some simple automation. When I create mapping that is for community then I look it to be strictly in traktor.
    midimasher can do a lot - well anything u can think of with midi i guess. i used to use loopmidi when i was on windows, but only used it as the virtual midi port for midimasher.

you do come up with some amazing mappings in traktor so i can understand why you'd want to stick with mapping that way. i only bought traktor just over a year ago i think, before that all my dj'ing was on turntables. i loved that u could customize traktor mappings but being a coder i hate having to use gui's anyway so wanted a different way of mapping. bomes looks good but very fiddly to do anything really complex. i did buy midikatapult which was great but didn't allow any actual mapping within the app and was partly the inspiration for my midimasher. now i'm using mixxx i don't actually need to use midimasher if i'm not also hooking into extra samplers and/or ableton - but i like that a mapping i create using midimasher will work on mixxx and also traktor.

You are lucky man then. I can only dream of turntables. I was mostly using external mixers and my keyboard mapping for years and about two years I bought my first controller, I come to home, open it, install and everything and it didn't work. I remember it took me few days to figure out only how to setup.

Traktor pro changed it all. It was godsend! I created one basic 2 deck mapping with four effects with no problems since I was doing mappings for keyboard for long time. Then I saw guy on youtube using modifier to create browser mode. It was in traktor since ever and I didn't know what modifiers are for and simply never used it before. I tried it and it worked. So it took me a few months till I actually figure out that I can use that toggle modifier to use four decks, that was awesome. Then I start to modify it further and in that time fader fx was promoted with VCI-100 SE and it was big inspiration to do something like that for my mapping. Then I started to mix between effects and did a lot of practice on those. After that I had my first mapping which I called it advance because it was pretty complex to me in that stage.

http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=206

It was only one midi generic with all modifiers burned. I haven't know then that I can add more devices to mapping I'm thinking to update it to 2.5 shouldn't be much work just to add FX store preset and some new tricks to performance mode.

Looking forward to see some update on this mapping for Lounchpad we were talking bout! I would like to see where this idea goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    You are lucky man then. I can only dream of turntables. I was mostly using external mixers and my keyboard mapping for years and about two years I bought my first controller, I come to home, open it, install and everything and it didn't work. I remember it took me few days to figure out only how to setup.
    had to sell my turntables a few years ago and regretted it since. will pick some up again someday, would have to be the exact same models tho 1200's mk2 in silver. used to mix in my own stuff and beats from a roland mc-303 which wasn't ideal but at that time seemed quite revolutionary for the price and size. also had some crappy cd player, gemini i think, that i used to use to mix my own tunes in over the top. long long time ago...

http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=206

It was only one midi generic with all modifiers burned. I haven't know then that I can add more devices to mapping I'm thinking to update it to 2.5 shouldn't be much work just to add FX store preset and some new tricks to performance mode.
    nice mapping... also a nice controller, much more solid than a lot around these days. i just never had the patience to do too much directly in traktor's controller manager. tho i did create a pretty complete launchpad mapping using midikatapult to do the led colours. handy being able to add multiple generic devices in traktor for one actual midi device. also handy to isolate diff parts of the mapping so stuff is easier to find in that excuse of a controller editor

Looking forward to see some update on this mapping for Lounchpad we were talking bout! I would like to see where this idea goes.
    cheers did start it tonight but had some work i had to get done - will get it done next week. not tricky just quite different to most of my midimasher configs - as usually all the actual mapping is done in the config itself - where as here it'll just be sending/recv'ing out different midi depending on the page and actual mapping done in the app it's sending midi to.

Tech Mentor

Well i never thought there was so much to mapping lol. I thought i was the bees knees for making a simple mapping with a few modifiers and some effects. Theres a lot of work that needs to be done and a lot of learning!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast