VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

What is the concern here tho.. do you guys want 1.4 transferred over TP2? Or 1.5 to accommodate for the new features (sample deck)?

Tech Mentor

i think you're a little confused there my man. 1.4 is firmware, and as 1.4 is the community reverse engineered firmware upgrade that gave us higher-res pitch faders and jog wheels, I cannot imagine there will ever be a need for a 1.5. You're kind of more on track with the second half of your comment, we are hoping that (as Tech Tools themselves said they would be producing) there will be a fresh overlay and mapping to take advantage of TP2 features, and yes as you rightly say, the sample decks would play a great part of that.

The attitude that some of us share is that

1. DJ tech tools should continue to support their core supporters and product who have made them what they are today..

and 2. A less generous soul could infer that it is a little cynical now that Vestax has stopped producing VCI 100km1s to buy up all they can and put what is arguably (with the release of TP2) an outmoded mapping and overlay on them selling at a premium price....

It is certainly their right as a commercial operation to do so, and they are certainly under no obligation to do as we hope, but i must admit I'm quite an old romantic when it comes to Tech Tools, and I would be greatly saddened to see them stop evolving the VCI 100mk1 and simply replace Vestax as a mundane supplier, while they unneccessarilly consign me and my VCI to history and pursue more purely commercial goals... but then again we all have to pay the rent. I'm hoping that even as the operation grows, they will give us at least one TP2 specific overlay, done out of love for the 'little controller that could'.
    Last edited by dillinger23; 06-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Tech Mentor

I agree with everything stated here! When I bought my VCI, I was under the impression that there would be continued mapping and overlay support. I love this site, and I love my VCI. I've come to this forum nearly every day for over a year now, bought many products from the store, and learned an awful lot in the process. But the heart of this great experience that i've embarked on over the past year has been my baby, my VCI!

Please don't let it fade into obscurity DJTT. At the very least I think we need a mapping soon, it's been an awful long time since TP2 came out, and in the shop it is listed that mapping updates would be offered monthly, unless i read that chart wrong?

DJTT is a great community and I think the loss of the VCI's prominence would be a very sad day.

just my .02

Tech Mentor

@rami

i think you nailed it there with these words

"the heart of this great experience....has been my baby, my VCI!"

The VCI really is the heart of DJTT, and to abandon its evolution now would be, please forgive the pun, heartless.

Tech Mentor

I did confuse the firmware version with the mapping, but I meant the latter all along.

Now, I remember back in the day, Ean put up a file to make our own custom overlays...
    As a community, couldn't we come up with a TP2 overlay/mapping?

It's my opinion that, with the S4 out, the VCI will be phased out..
    VCI will be their TP1 controller, and S4 their TP2 controller.

Tech Mentor

i found djtechtools 3 years ago after buying a stock vci-100 from ebay but since then my beloved unit has had more faces, firmware and knobs purchased from the store than i can even remember. it has evolved from the silver single button functionality in traktor 3 to the multi-layered bad-ass sleek dj weapon it is now with traktor pro 2. i too truly love this community and and im very grateful for what you have taught me about music, controllerism, djing, and the vci! i'll never forget how impressed i was getting a phone call from ean himself nearly three years ago after posting difficulties with the 1st firmware upgrade. of course he got the issue sorted. i've visited this site every day since and though im probably guilty of taking more than ive contributed, i'd be more than happy to purchase overlays and even these deep mappings that i couldnt imagine creating myself. please please make another mapping and matching overlay making my vci current and even more powerful today than it was when it was brand new.
    Last edited by brianpkelly@hotmail.com; 06-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    2011 MacbookPro-Lion (2.2GHz i7), Audio 10Dj, Allen&Heath Xone 42, 2 X Technic SL-1200MK3, VCI-100SE - FW1.4 (TSI 4.0), Kontrol X1, 2 X Novation Dicers, iPad (TouchOSC), TraktorScratchPro 2.6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by freakerz View Post
    I did confuse the firmware version with the mapping, but I meant the latter all along.

Now, I remember back in the day, Ean put up a file to make our own custom overlays...
    As a community, couldn't we come up with a TP2 overlay/mapping?

It's my opinion that, with the S4 out, the VCI will be phased out..
    VCI will be their TP1 controller, and S4 their TP2 controller.

I think if we get a mapping there would be many community members, including myself who would be interested in helping create an overlay out of the blank ones.

Tech Wizard

I think what we need to also consider is the economics. Considering the cost of designing a new overlay and the manufacturing there will need to be enough interest to cover the expenses and also to be in profit. I really want to see a new overlay but also I can see it from their prospective if they decide not too. I doubt it will be a case of "lets forget about those pesky vci users now". Im sure the real reason will be all the financing and profit margin. All business's need to make a profit to survive. Im sure DJ Techtools are no different. With alot of vci users now having the S4, we will all have to wait and see if there will be enough people ready to purchase. This thread will help. Posting on other forums may help also educating other vci users that a new tsi for vci is coming soon for tp2 and if there is enough interest a new overlay will be designed and manufactured. With enough people wanting to buy they wont be able to say no. Peace out.

Tech Mentor

@DysfunkDJ

Absolutely man, i think all the posts in this thread accept the fact that DJTT is inevitably growing into a business as much as it is a community, and therefore it will only happen if it is at least economically viable to do so (setting aside for the moment issues of whether there is any obligation to do so on their part) I think for the most part nobody here is going to throw their toys out of the pram if it doesn't happen.. simply that there will be very many disappointed souls (many of them core members) should a new overlay not appear, and additionally, if it is now the case that there will NOT be one, as one had been promised, DJTT should make this crystal clear and not drop vague hints in mappings forums. Many are either keeping their VCIs or even purchasing them on the understanding that there will be specific TP2 support. If this is not the case just tell us so, so people can move on and buy an S4. I think one main reason for this thread and peoples frustration is that, an overlay was promised some time ago and has failed to appear and the hints now being thrown out that it may not happen is leaving those who ARE wanting a fuller control of TP2 (but want it with their VCI) in a kind of limbo right now, and DJTT should put us poor creatures out of our misery!
    Last edited by dillinger23; 06-13-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Tech Wizard

Show your love here too guys http://www.facebook.com/djtechtools

Lets be a community and make it happen.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast