If I'm just starting out to mix, should I get a Xone K2 or a Kontrol S2?

Default If I'm just starting out to mix, should I get a Xone K2 or a Kontrol S2?

I'm looking to buy some hardware for mixing purposes and I saw that the Xone K2 was used by Madeon and others and was like oh wow it's also exceptionally affordable then I saw the Kontrol S2 and that it's also affordable so I didn't know which is best for a beginner and I just need some guidance:P Thanks!

Tech Guru

For a beginner, the S2 has a more traditional look and feel for a two deck setup. The K2 will allow for four channel mixing, but the control spacing is tight, and it does not have the same "all in one" feel that you would get with an S2.

When you figure out the basics, you can always make a more informed choice then. I have been using an S2 and a VCI100 Arcade before that for almost 5 years. Do not worried about what you are giving up, just look to fully explore the options that you do have.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

if u think it might be the start of a modular setup then def go for the k2. ive often thought about getting a one...

having said that for someone starting out and who hasnt really mixed before id have to say the s2 sounds like the best bet out of the two.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by IIMATTYIIV View Post
    I'm looking to buy some hardware for mixing purposes and I saw that the Xone K2 was used by Madeon and others and was like oh wow it's also exceptionally affordable then I saw the Kontrol S2 and that it's also affordable so I didn't know which is best for a beginner and I just need some guidance:P Thanks!
    The K2 will essentially fill the role of a mixer with some extra controls added on, but trust, me if you want to make a comprehensive compact setup, you will need additional controllers. The K2 with 2 additional X1s is a -sweet- way of having a 4 channel mixer and 4 decks in a very small footprint. My girlfriend has a K2 and X1 and loves that combo for its ease of carrying around, while I have a Xone:62 that I use with my X1s.

Bear in mind however that the K2 is really not sold to the same segment of the market as the S2. The K2 and 2 X1s is a setup designed to mimic/complement a club install mixer + 4 decks. The S2 is a consumer level all-in-one toy. Regarding form/function, the K2 has more in common with the F1 and X1 (and you could argue the Z1, but I have a Z1 that I travel with and the K2 is really on a different level in terms of capabilities), than it does the S2.

I mocked up some examples of use scenarios for you to help you understand!

My setup, which you can emulate somewhat with a K2 and 2 X1s...
    4ch62.jpg

Like this!
    4chK2.jpg

Equivalent of Traktor S2 in terms of mixer/X1 hardware (whoa that's a lot less stuff!)
    2ch22.jpg

Alternative setup of Xone:K2, using inner channels as mixer, outer channels as Xone:92 Filter emulation in traktor, and an X1 for transport/browsing/other fx.
    2chK2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    The K2 will essentially fill the role of a mixer with some extra controls added on, but trust, me if you want to make a comprehensive compact setup, you will need additional controllers. The K2 with 2 additional X1s is a -sweet- way of having a 4 channel mixer and 4 decks in a very small footprint. My girlfriend has a K2 and X1 and loves that combo for its ease of carrying around, while I have a Xone:62 that I use with my X1s.

Bear in mind however that the K2 is really not sold to the same segment of the market as the S2. The K2 and 2 X1s is a setup designed to mimic/complement a club install mixer + 4 decks. The S2 is a consumer level all-in-one toy. Regarding form/function, the K2 has more in common with the F1 and X1 (and you could argue the Z1, but I have a Z1 that I travel with and the K2 is really on a different level in terms of capabilities), than it does the S2.

I mocked up some examples of use scenarios for you to help you understand!

My setup, which you can emulate somewhat with a K2 and 2 X1s...
    4ch62.jpg

Like this!
    4chK2.jpg

Equivalent of Traktor S2 in terms of mixer/X1 hardware (whoa that's a lot less stuff!)
    2ch22.jpg

Alternative setup of Xone:K2, using inner channels as mixer, outer channels as Xone:92 Filter emulation in traktor, and an X1 for transport/browsing/other fx.
    2chK2.jpg
    Thanks so much! I'm tight on money becuase I'm only 17 and have a weekend job sometimes but that's it. For right now, I'll probably go with the Kontrol S2 then later when things are moving I'll see about upgrading or switching or whatever :P thanks so much!

cool example diagrams one dj here uses nothing more than the house mixer plus a x1, tho mixes minimal techno. i agreed that the x1+z1 is a pretty cool setup for basic mixing. about the same priec as an s2 as well and more future proof. the s2 would provide a more traditional setup to learn on.

it's amazing what u can get for the money these days. my 1st experiment with controllers was a hercules mk2
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

house mixer + x1 is great for a lot of stuff...a Z1 and one of my X1s satisfies my intermittent cravings to play when I'm out of town, and my 62 and 2nd X1 wait at home for me. I play a lot of techno and tech house, and that setup really works well for me, now moreso than ever since I've made some mapping tweaks to really facilitate dynamic harmonic mixing.

The place I was playing out at before had a great little setup of a 92, 2x CDJ2000nxs, and 2 1200mk2s...looking forward to getting back in that booth soon.

Systematik

If you're just starting out, you should definitely go for the Kontrol S2 mk2. Unlike the Xone K2 it comes with the full version of Traktor Pro 2. I think since you're just starting out the Xone K2 could give you a bit of a headache.