Standard DJ contract - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
    yea I know what it means. That is not something you need to have in a DJ contract for services. The contract is to lay out the terms to protect you from not getting paid and also for the client to know what they are getting. An act of God would fall under insurance that as a mobile DJ you should have. A lot of venues and banquet halls require DJs to have their own insurance so if Grandma slips and falls doing Gangnum Style the venue isn't liable. You don't need to put every aspect of life in the contract. If someone spills something on your gear, well they are responsible. Simple as that. If they don't want to pay, you take them to court, its common sense. BTW that contract is the basic template that thousands of DJs actually use that I modified.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    yea I know what it means. That is not something you need to have in a DJ contract for services. The contract is to lay out the terms to protect you from not getting paid and also for the client to know what they are getting. An act of God would fall under insurance that as a mobile DJ you should have. A lot of venues and banquet halls require DJs to have their own insurance so if Grandma slips and falls doing Gangnum Style the venue isn't liable. You don't need to put every aspect of life in the contract. If someone spills something on your gear, well they are responsible. Simple as that. If they don't want to pay, you take them to court, its common sense. BTW that contract is the basic template that thousands of DJs actually use that I modified.
    I'm afraid this is not good advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure
    Acts of God or Force Majeure should be included in any contract. This covers you as an artist should you not be able to supply the venue or client your act in the event of something happening that you were not able to control or mitigate for and is standard in any DJ contract in the UK.

This is a basic clause from a standard contract:

14) Force Majeuer: The act will not be liable for failing to attend a booking where the reason for non-attendance or late arrival is cause by bad weather conditions (including snow & flooding), road closure, road traffic accident, vehicle breakdown (not including bad maintenance), fuel shortages, acts of terrorism, industrial action or other unavoidable circumstances deemed beyond the acts control.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I'm afraid this is not good advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure
    Acts of God or Force Majeure should be included in any contract. This covers you as an artist should you not be able to supply the venue or client your act in the event of something happening that you were not able to control or mitigate for and is standard in any DJ contract in the UK.

This is a basic clause from a standard contract:

14) Force Majeuer: The act will not be liable for failing to attend a booking where the reason for non-attendance or late arrival is cause by bad weather conditions (including snow & flooding), road closure, road traffic accident, vehicle breakdown (not including bad maintenance), fuel shortages, acts of terrorism, industrial action or other unavoidable circumstances deemed beyond the acts control.
    My contract says "If for any reason, DJ Matt Blaze is unable to DJ the event, a full refund will be given" which to me covered everything that might happen on the way to the venue. I was thinking "act of god" like if in the middle of a gig something happened. If its snowing and I can't get there, I am not going to charge someone. If I get a flat or something happens to my car and I can't get there, again, Im not about to charge someone. In the States, if something happened that was beyond my control and I couldn't get to an event and the client tried to sue me for damages, it would never hold up in court as long as the reason was valid and their money was refunded. If I arrive late because of a big accident I would either make up the time or give them something back, I personally couldn't take someone's money if I don't do the gig whether its my fault or not.

I looked at a few examples of different DJ contracts and I saw some that had stuff that I would never put in a contract like break times, a meal, client being responsible for liability insurance, music lists, and they all did have some form of force majeure which I already had just not in real detail. Also saw about the client being responsible for damages to the equipment. I never thought it was necessary to spell all that out but after seeing it in writing maybe it is a good idea. I can admit the errors of my ways. I really didn't want a something more than a page.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 05-24-2015 at 12:40 AM.

I would personally include gear damage into the contract.. If any of their patrons spill drinks or knock the table/booth over, you'll be taken care of. Fuck insurance, have them sign the contract and that'll be the only insurance you'll need.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I would personally include gear damage into the contract.. If any of their patrons spill drinks or knock the table/booth over, you'll be taken care of. Fuck insurance, have them sign the contract and that'll be the only insurance you'll need.
    Yep.

It's in my contract that I send to wedding clients.

10) The Client agrees to pay compensation due to damage to equipment caused by guests or venue staff. The Client agrees that if the Act is threatened, abused verbally or physically by anyone present at the performance then the Act will be entitled to cease performance, without penalty. All Fees will remain payable by The Client.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Yep.

It's in my contract that I send to wedding clients.

10) The Client agrees to pay compensation due to damage to equipment caused by guests or venue staff. The Client agrees that if the Act is threatened, abused verbally or physically by anyone present at the performance then the Act will be entitled to cease performance, without penalty. All Fees will remain payable by The Client.
    Even better

Tech Mentor

Lilke I said, I have been shown the errors of my ways and have adjusted accordingly. I added a few clauses to my contract covering force majuere in greater detail and damages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12