Fx automation and sample sequencing inside of Traktor (not simple but possible) - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Phi View Post
    Exciting news! I got my LFO generator to produce both sawtooth, and triangular LFOs on fader/knob/encoder type parameters with ease!

I am using my original "engine" mapping from this post with some beatphase output tweaks to get it cycling with the beat.

If anyone wants a multipurpose LFO generator .tsi for Traktor...
    "original mapping from this post"? u haven't posted any tsi yet? i guess the most useful would have to be sawtooth and sinusoidal - but the later would have to be from extra software i guess? in practice a triangle wave should do just as good a job for effects anyway.

you do love your TLA's - u should work for IBM seriously... that place is full of them. but the first thing u should do here is *stop* using them and just call your tsi a "LFO generator" or something - people will at least have some idea of what that means.

best thing is to post a tsi and let people have a go i guess? i'll try it out anyway
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.

I am talking about a mpc style realtime slicer, which might possibly solve your problem

On button press "slice" oneshot samples, drop them into the sample decks and do the re-arranging via automated sample playback. If you get your slices quickly enough this shouldn't be hard right?
    it's an interesting idea using the sample decks - but ofc u need to use all 8 of them to do it this way. still be a neat trick if it works tho.

every 8 beats you'll need to reload all 8 samples - or u intent continually loading them while other samples are being played? not sure that'd work as you won't have beats 1-8 for the current 8 beats loaded? or is this a one shot deal? i.e: click to load all samples into the 8 sample decks? once they're loaded the only automation needed will be to trigger them consecutively *but* not if the user has pressed a button to jump to a different one.

doing it this way would be extremely simple using some midimasher code ofc - i wanted to slice the current track continually as it's playing - but your idea of just loading into sample decks is pretty cool too...

i've added some timing code into dump.exe and here's a simulation of what i do to get to beat #7 using this debug config:

Code:
    open_midi_device("traktor", "traktor", "", "V:fake");

print "waiting..."
    msleep(5000)
    print "sending"

send("traktor", "jump_to_active_cue_point_a", ON)
    send("traktor", "beatjump_+4_a", ON, 0, 1)
    send("traktor", "beatjump_+4_a", OFF, 0, 2)
    send("traktor", "beatjump_+2_a", ON, 0, 3)
    send("traktor", "beatjump_+2_a", OFF, 0, 4)
    send("traktor", "beatjump_+1_a", ON, 0, 5)
    the 5 second sleep is so i have time to run debug.exe and connect to the newly created virtual midi port "fake". that produces this output:

Code:
    log filename (press enter for none): 
    1: Midi Through:0
    2: LPD8:0
    3: fake:0

choose a device: 3

q to quit

CC        51 127     0xb5 0x33 0x7f  chan=6  elapsed=3330.3
    CC        21 127     0xb1 0x15 0x7f  chan=2  elapsed=1.2
    CC        21 0       0xb1 0x15 0x0   chan=2  elapsed=1.1
    CC        20 127     0xb1 0x14 0x7f  chan=2  elapsed=1.1
    CC        20 0       0xb1 0x14 0x0   chan=2  elapsed=1.1
    CC        19 127     0xb1 0x13 0x7f  chan=2  elapsed=1.1
    must have taken me 2 seconds to fire up dump.exe hence the 3 seconds delay before the first event coming in.
    u can see it's not bang on 1ms between events but pretty damn close

i ran that on linux - u can see how easy virtual midi ports are on mac and linux. loopMIDI does have a dll available for creating ports but i haven't managed to get access to it's api yet. if i can that would be a solution for windows - or maybe sometime i'll have a go at writing my own virtual midi port driver and just embed it into midimasher (for windows only)

u can also see from that with coding in midimasher actually rarely needs midi details - it's all done via event names. u *can* also send midi if wanted ofc

edit: so the timing info i added to dump.exe seems to work ok - will be in the next midimasher release or i can upload a copy sooner if u want it
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Idea: if you use my mpc slicer and have all samples play on every beat, but control the muting with automation and pad presses you could even rearrange fractions of beats. I.e if you are quick you could play halfbeats from anywhere in the 8 samples so the sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 might be rearranged as 1-2-3/6-4-4-6/8-7-8
    this is exactly how to implement a step sequencer in ableton.

so you're got 8 samples loaded into the sample decks from a key press or something - and automating the playing of samples 1 thru 8, changing on each beat correct? when someone presses say beat3 when it's playing a diff one i guess you map all other samples to mute or stop on that button press?

that all seems fairly straightforward (well relatively ) still not sure about the loading of different samples tho while it's playing. be cool if it works tho. you're setting loops on the main deck and copying those to the sample decks or via the loop recorder?

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I've got my looprecorder input coming from my headphones to looprecord pre-fader so I will need to use loops from the active deck.
    cool - sounds good - i'll be interested to try out any tsi when u have anything ready.

Ummm... btw I need a laser/photo sensor to encodes the strobedots on my TTs as a midi note, you got any ideas? Right now it looks like I'm going to have to build the thing myself with arduino boards or something... would be nice to just buy one.
    no clue there i'm afraid as i'm not really a hardware guy. something like arduino sounds like your best bet tho.

It's a disgrace that people need to waste their time creating workarounds in order to unlock the true power of Traktor. I am still waiting for the day when Traktor can do stuff CDJs cannot, and the only way to achieve that is by including a proper built-in scripting language for mappings. Deckadance now sports a full scripting language, using familiar C syntax, which instantly enables users to do very sophisticated mappings, allowing parameter value queries (e.g. what is the current value of Deck A level fader?). No other DJ package offers this at present. Too bad Deckadance currently does not support multiple MIDI outs and is not as good as Traktor in other areas.
    Last edited by Scoox; 03-12-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345