The "club standard" CDJ. Lack of respect for controllerists. Why? - Page 29
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Meh, fuck 'em lol.

The fact is, this whole anti-controller attitude really grinds my gears, especially since I see club DJs using them on a daily basis; and not just modular stuff like the X1 but all-in-ones like the S2, S4 and VCIs. Hell, I myself have a variety of Reloop gear I use for EVERY gig. I also know plenty of people who wouldn't use CDJs if Pioneer gave 'em a cheque for doing so.
    Your case is a little different based on you've described - I wouldn't really call those places you photographed clubs, more like hybrid bars which you've said so yourself. No decent gear is provided at your gigs so of course controllers are the only way to go. And I'm sure the DJs around where you live would appreciate it if the "clubs" upgraded to some nicer gear.

I bet most of them haven't even used the newer CDJs before and wouldn't mind giving them a shot, and they are your dream "plug in and play controller" setup even if you don't want to admit it. I sure as hell wouldn't bring the huge S4 around to any gig if they had a couple HID CDJs I could add an X1 to and have everything from the S4 and more on decent hardware instead.

These days, DJing is not just playing one track after another anymore like it used to be, and it's quite simply impossible to do the same amount of stuff on CDJs as it is on controllers. It's like the difference between using a typewriter and a computer... sure, you might be able to write a letter on a typewriter, but that's it. Regardless of their price and the amount of shiny that Pioneer puts on them, they're limited by their very nature.
    What kind of routines do you and the people you know perform that go above and beyond the capabilities of a CDJ setup?
    Adding in a small modular controller or two to the CDJs will give you room for any creativity you like..
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    What kind of routines do you and the people you know perform that go above and beyond the capabilities of a CDJ setup?
    Adding in a small modular controller or two to the CDJs will give you room for any creativity you like..

I came VERY close to convincing a friend of mine to get the RMP-3s (for MIDI control) and a Surface Pro, and go over to using Traktor, instead of a pair of 2000Nexuses tonight... a few more days and I reckon I'll have him convinced.

Tech Guru

Not interested in what the Reloop posterboy does on Youtube, I was asking what kind of routines your people do..

Noone here is suggesting that anyone buy CDJs to haul into a bar every night. You can have all the advantages of controllerism using small modular controllers combined with a traditional booth setup, but this of course only applies to venues decent enough to provide gear.

Surface Pro seems like a very niche product as you can get a nice ultrabook for the same price with bigger screen, more ports, better battery life.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Not interested in what the Reloop posterboy does on Youtube, I was asking what kind of routines your people do..

Noone here is suggesting that anyone buy CDJs to haul into a bar every night. You can have all the advantages of controllerism using small modular controllers combined with a traditional booth setup, but this of course only applies to venues decent enough to provide gear.

Surface Pro seems like a very niche product as you can get a nice ultrabook for the same price with bigger screen, more ports, better battery life.
    Tbh the main draw is the size; in smaller booths it's a PITA to set up a laptop... with a Surface and a half decent stand you can mount it at the back of the mixer, basically like a super awesome CDJ's LCD screen showing you detailed waveforms etc. I fully intend to get one myself eventually to replace my MBP, just waiting for them to come down in price a bit.

Tech Guru

A decent stand like the Crane Stand Pro can put your laptop at the back of the mixer just the same. And the 10.6 inch screen of the Surface is going to be pretty small for Traktor with its side-by-side waveforms.

Capacity is also awful on all the Surfaces. Less than 90GB on the top model.

A decent stand like the Crane Stand Pro can put your laptop at the back of the mixer just the same. And the 10.6 inch screen of the Surface is going to be pretty small for Traktor with its side-by-side waveforms.

Capacity is also awful on all the Surfaces. Less than 90GB on the top model.
    Higher resolution than the 13" MBP though @ 1920x1080; and it depends on how big the booth is... the hinge angle is quite limited on the MBP, which means you either end up with the screen MUCH further away from you, or the laptop quite literally hangs OVER the mixer which can be a nightmare in poor lighting.

The ATIV Pro might be a better option, but it's more expensive There's also the Acer W700 i5 for only £690, which is pretty good.

Tech Guru

High resolution on a tiny screen is worse, not better. Here's what 1080p Traktor would look like on a Surface (scale to 10.6 inches on your screen).

Screens over the middle of the mixer isn't a great idea anyway as you'll be staring into it instead of focusing on the crowd and the music you hear.

These days, DJing is not just playing one track after another anymore like it used to be, and it's quite simply impossible to do the same amount of stuff on CDJs as it is on controllers.
    Sorry mate but this is just something people say to convince themselves that what they do is more advanced than "normal" DJ's. In the past 12 months I have seen (and these are the ones I can remember): Andy Moor, John O'Callaghan, Armin, Arty, Jaytech, Above & Beyond, Carl Cox, Miguel Migs, Clive Henry, Noir and Mark Knight. All smashed it. All fundamentally used simple A to B mixing as their technique. All used CDJ's and a mixer as the main elements in their set up and all are doing pretty well for themselves. Open your eyes. The world is bigger than this little forum.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

When their whole world is in ashes, CDJ's have my permission to die.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Meh, fuck 'em lol.

The fact is, this whole anti-controller attitude really grinds my gears, especially since I see club DJs using them on a daily basis; and not just modular stuff like the X1 but all-in-ones like the S2, S4 and VCIs. Hell, I myself have a variety of Reloop gear I use for EVERY gig. I also know plenty of people who wouldn't use CDJs if Pioneer gave 'em a cheque for doing so.

These days, DJing is not just playing one track after another anymore like it used to be, and it's quite simply impossible to do the same amount of stuff on CDJs as it is on controllers. It's like the difference between using a typewriter and a computer... sure, you might be able to write a letter on a typewriter, but that's it. Regardless of their price and the amount of shiny that Pioneer puts on them, they're limited by their very nature.
    LMAO - do you REALLY think anyone takes anything you type with any seriousness anymore? You've proved yourself to be a moron of the highest order by your advocating of products, then admitting you've never used them. Your proclamations about Clubs and their technology use (CDJ vs Controller), then admitting that not only do you never DJ outside of your town (and possibly one club/bar/youthclub), but you never even GO to clubs outside of your town.

Frankly, after all that, anyone that takes anything you say with other than a massive pinch of salt is as much of a joke as you are.

You, sir, are a cretin.