VCI-400 Problem - Page 10
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: VCI-400 Problem

Tech Mentor

A few notes to make up for my sarcastic comments..

Specifically speaking of VCI-400:

The mixer feels like a real mixer. But it's vestax, quite different from pioneer (Knobs, faders). I guess you can touch them somewhere near you live?

The pre-fader channel LED is really crappy. They're like little lights to decorate the booth. Hard to tell the peak to start with because of the thick plastic, but what's almost like a joke is that the peak on the playing deck is hidden by the fader's cap. Too bad because it's one of the features that separates VCI-400 from cheaper controllers and gives it a more professional character.

Tech Student

ha. first off. no worries about thinking it was a sarcastic response. i was confusing myself trying to get what i mean over.

I guess i'm just making sure that it will do what i want to from the box, but have the ability to be tweaked to how i want it, before i go and spunk £700 on one. I've spent way too much money on kit to find out its not quite what I need and I'm trying to stop doing that now!

I'm trying to think of a better way to explain what I want to confirm it will do and that might make it clearer.

I want the new slimmed down set up to be simply this - macbook, controller, powered monitors. But I also need it to be able to drop into a full vinyl setup as well ideally, which would be macbook, controller into djm600, 2x 1210 amp - speakers. It seems like this will do both from what you've said and i'll still be able to use the vinyl to control the music if required, if not just purely use the controller. I've no issue with jog wheels from using cdj's from vinyl so think the switch will be fine and the benifits of internal control of traktors finer points such as looping / fx etc on the same 4 deck unit outweigh the negatives in my mind.

I just don't want to buy it and then go, hmm, crap i need traktor pro instead, oh and you can't use it alongside your current setup if you needed too.

Reading this back, I'm not sure it makes more sense!! ha.

As for the build quality and feel of the faders, I'm not expecting them to feel like the pioneer but I'm guessing being vestax they're fairly sturdy and its not too plasticky. I'm no fader mangler but likewise I don't want to feel i'm gonna break it if I cut a bit hard.

It seems like its going to be the controller of choice for me as looking at the alternatives they all have weaknesses greater than the VCI400.

I understand its a matter of opinion all of this, but other than here, nowhere seems to have a clue about if the controller will do what I'm asking.

Your help, is mucho appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shnufc View Post
    I want the new slimmed down set up to be simply this - macbook, controller, powered monitors.
    NP
    Quote Originally Posted by shnufc View Post
    But I also need it to be able to drop into a full vinyl setup as well ideally, which would be macbook, controller into djm600, 2x 1210 amp - speakers.
    This would be macbook, audio 4/6/8/10 (take your pick!) into DJM600 & 1210's in typical scratch setup. Then you would add in the controller to control loops, fx etc.
    HANG ON - you say "drop into a full vinyl setup"?? - is this a DVS setup using traktor timecode records, or a non-DVS vinyl setup with those things... oh.... what are they called again, it's been too long... oh yeah, records
    If DVS setup, then yeah, you'll need what I said below your second quote. If using with a vinyl setup using records, then you will essentially have a traktor setup playing mp3 and a vinyl setup playing records - you'd need a 3-channel mixer (yeah, I know that you probably know this, but trying to get an idea of what you are after). 2 channels for decks, and one for the output from the VCI400. OR you could run the output from your DJM600 and route it through deck C or D of the Vestax (I think this means that you can get Traktor effects on your vinyl records, as the audio (I think) goes into Traktor's deck C or D and then back out again - and ideas, someone with a 400??!).

So to clarify(!):
    Do you want vinyl controlling Traktor (via timecode records) or just want to play your old vinyl tunes alongside your mp3s?

Hope you followed that. Setups are getting like this now... we need a doodlepad/'back of fag packet' feature in the forums to demonstrate setups simpler!

PC/Mhac, Traktor 2, Citronic MP-X10, 2 x Kam KCD450, Behringer BCD3000, Echo Audio Layla 3G, Numark EM-460 w/Kaoss Pad, Shure C606, Carlsbro Tytan PA, Turbosound TXD121 12" Tops, Reloop RHP-20
    http://soundcloud.com/escapemcp

Tech Mentor

Hey guys, since this thread seems to have turned into a more or less general discussion about the VCI-400, I was wondering if any new owners could answer some general questions about the controller:

1. Pitch fader resolution - do the faders send 14 bit MIDI? Is the actual resolution anywhere near 14 bits? I'm hoping to see a controller with CDJ precision in the faders.

2. Jog wheel resolution and response - anywhere near the S4 or the Numark Itch controllers? Hopefully better than a 1.4 VCI-100...

3. Audio interface - there was someone in the thread complaining about latency, but the screenshot looked like they were using WASAPI instead of ASIO. How low does it actually get? Are the drivers multiclient, so that you can record off the audio inputs with a different application while using an ASIO one for output? Has anyone done a loopback analysis using RMAA or similar?

Thanks!

Tech Wizard

Default Lateny Prob

The audio interface causes a hugh latency of 85ms (that makes the controller useless for scratching, cuejugglin and everything you need a right timing for). I use the VCI-400 with my old soundcard (external YAMAHA), now I got 15,4ms latency, but in consequence the headphone-out becomes useless.
    If I can´t solve this problems within the next week, I´ll send my VCI-400 back. 800€ is to much for a controller with a non-working-soundcard.

Tech Mentor

Hey Goomo, what's your set up and what's the buffer setting when you get the 85ms lag? Hardware, OS, and most importantly, what software are you using? The included VDJ-LE for example was next to useless running on my macbook air.

I only tested the VCI-400 at default but there were no recognizable audio issues and the latency was definitely not that bad. Any DJ could literally hear a 85 ms lag and thus this machine wouldn't have reached the market if that's the best it can do.

Plus, I'm not sure of the specific rules here but you shouldn't multi post this kind of stuff, it makes you sound like you just want to cause trouble for Vestax.

Tech Wizard

Sorry, you`re right. I forgot to delete my first post. Yesterday I was a little bit angry: I took the whole Friday off, just to play with my new VCI-toy and then this high latencys... So I spent the whole day for solving this Prob.

My Setup:
    Traktor Pro 2.1.1
    VCI-400
    Windows 7 32bit PC (DualCore 2,00GHz; 3GB Ram)

Now Traktor:
    I attached a pic of the configuration. Its the only configuration that delivers audio without glitching. With the VCI 400 you only have the possibility to "set the latency" to 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32ms (in an optional settings window). This sets the latency in Traktor to 5,4; 10,6; 21,4; 42,6; 85,4ms. So ou see I´have to work with the highest latency.

Yesterday I found out, that I´m not the only one with this problem. It isen´t caused by my CPU. There were guys with much lower CPU´s and latencys of around 10ms. And my whole system went fine, when I use my old soundcard (YAMAHA audiogram 3). I worked with a hercules mp3 e2 for 2 years (yeah I know this gear is crap) with latencys of 15ms. And I even got 15ms of latency, when I use my old soundcard plus the VCI-400 just as controller. But then the headphone-out of the VCI become useless and like you`ve sat, this can´t be in VESTAX mind when they built the VCI-400.

Tank you for your quick reply!

Tech Mentor

Hmm.. That's weird.. Maybe not the 2 and 4 but you should at least get 8 (512 samples) which is the default for most softwares as long as your PC meets the required specs. Maybe contact support?

May not be relevant to Windows users but it is common in OSX that selecting core audio (OSX default driver) produces better results than the driver that comes with the audio interface. If your device (VCI-400) is that of the driver that came with the software, I would try using windows default driver or ASIO for all.

I hope things work out for you. I have seen many windows laptops connected to VCI-400 working fine.

Tech Wizard

Same problem, only if set latency 85,4ms, sound without drops when loading tracks. i use Traktor 2.0.1 (Win XP, AMD 2x2.68GHz, 4GB RAM) and 2.1.2 (Windows Vista, Intel 2x2.2GHz, 2GB RAM). Other controllers (DDJ-T1, MEP7000+DJM5000, VCI100+Audio8DJ) on same setup work correctly with latency 8 - 12ms
    VCI-400 driver not as WDM driver and not work with ASIO4ALL

Tech Mentor

I was hoping Azu would be the one that could help... Huh... I'm going to report this to the Vestax guys in Japan.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast