Getting a hard time cause i use a controller - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    Um, not so fast. I've heard you mix before, and if I remember right, you don't exactly have the most experience playing for an audience of more than yourself, and you only play one genre of music, no?
    I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I'm not even going to justify the rest with a reply.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Um, not so fast. I've heard you mix before, and if I remember right, you don't exactly have the most experience playing for an audience of more than yourself, and you only play one genre of music, no? You shouldn't really brag about your DJ skills. Nothing personal, but the trolls were already let loose in here, why not throw some more mud, right?

A "real DJ" isn't married to one platform. Can you sync guys handle yourself on a pair of 1200's? Can you play music that appeals to more than one niche of people? Can you beat juggle on CDJ's? Scratch on a VCI-300? Play music for a wedding dinner, then switch to club bangers for the dancing? Change from hip-hop to oldies when the bride's best friend doesn't like the music? Create your own censored intro-outro edit of a song?

This isn't really about "sync." All of us using software are syncing in some way, because the software tells us what the live BPM is. What this really is about is the people that think you can become successful at this profession without developing technical skills. Why it makes some of us angry is that it works, people with no technical skill get gigs, and fans, and become more successful than us. I feel that a DJ should know how to wire an amp and know the difference between line and phono. A DJ should have a basic idea of how a lighting controller works, and what DMX is. Some of these kids just buy a controller, get good enough to perform (with the help of sync) and start getting gigs. That's bullcrap. Learn the art before calling yourself a DJ. Hell, you can suck, but show an interest in getting better, not just hitting sync and slowly moving the crossfader to the next track. So yes, if you can't DJ without sync, you suck, and nobody should ever offer you work.
    So much bullshit here. You have to be a play multi genres and play to big crowds to be a good dj? I have to be able to do some minor production and be a wedding/radio dj too? I have to be able to be able to handle all different mediums? What the fuck man. Jack of trades and all that.

I know fucking plenty of great DJs who excel at some things and suck at others. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Try and learn everything by all means but just because you're not the master of everything doesn't mean you're bad at all. I wouldn't go to see Ean Golden scratch or want Q Bert designing my ableton sets but that dpesn't mean that they are in any way bad.

jesus christ. so much hate. plur bro, plur.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

someone needs to lock this sh!t...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    second

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    3rd, insulting a mod isn't exactly playing nice

Um, not so fast. I've heard you mix before, and if I remember right, you don't exactly have the most experience playing for an audience of more than yourself, and you only play one genre of music, no? You shouldn't really brag about your DJ skills. Nothing personal, but the trolls were already let loose in here, why not throw some more mud, right?

A "real DJ" isn't married to one platform. Can you sync guys handle yourself on a pair of 1200's? Can you play music that appeals to more than one niche of people? Can you beat juggle on CDJ's? Scratch on a VCI-300? Play music for a wedding dinner, then switch to club bangers for the dancing? Change from hip-hop to oldies when the bride's best friend doesn't like the music? Create your own censored intro-outro edit of a song?

This isn't really about "sync." All of us using software are syncing in some way, because the software tells us what the live BPM is. What this really is about is the people that think you can become successful at this profession without developing technical skills. Why it makes some of us angry is that it works, people with no technical skill get gigs, and fans, and become more successful than us. I feel that a DJ should know how to wire an amp and know the difference between line and phono. A DJ should have a basic idea of how a lighting controller works, and what DMX is. Some of these kids just buy a controller, get good enough to perform (with the help of sync) and start getting gigs. That's bullcrap. Learn the art before calling yourself a DJ. Hell, you can suck, but show an interest in getting better, not just hitting sync and slowly moving the crossfader to the next track. So yes, if you can't DJ without sync, you suck, and nobody should ever offer you work.
    Alot of us arent wedding DJs
    Thats like telling Armin van buuren to play hiphop and classical music.... >.>
    Alot of DJs play either 1-2 genres.

Sync actually requires some prep work with making sure that
    A. The BPM is correct
    Traktor gets close but also seen alot of times it gets a 140bpm reading at 95 >.>

B. Beatgrids
    Without a proper beatgrid, sync will sound like budum budumdum dum ba dum
    when it should sound like dum dum dum dum dum dum dum

Dont get start thinking I fall into the controller people since I also am getting a traditional setup to mainly use. But I dont mind them at all
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415