Smart-Compression in Live 7?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Smart-Compression in Live 7?

Does anyone know how to do this? I've seen Belvario's smart mixer, and I've tried it in Live 7 but it doesn't work. I know Belvario was working on using the native Live compressors to do this recently, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

Anyone else got any ideas on this?
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.

It does work in live7, you just dont have it set up properly - what error are you getting ?

I beleive belvario has bailed on the project completely.
    Id use Moldovers smartmixer for the moment if you can get your head around it Alternativly with enough knowledge you could make your own, if you have the knowledge to go about that id be interested in doing a colaborative project with you - or anyone else for that matter.

Tech Wizard

I'm actually not getting an error (I had this set up a long while ago, then turned it off because I couldn't get it to work).

I was using everything the way (I thought) I was supposed to have it set up, but it seemed like nothing got compressed. I'd bring in two tracks at once and I'd have the sends on... and nothing. It'd just get two tracks playing at the same time. Turning the sends on sometimes actually seemed to make certain bands LOUDER instead of making them quieter.

If you could help me out with this, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Give me some things to check, and I'll mess with it when I get a chance.

You downloaded the vst compressor and put it in Abletons VST directory right ? and it appearing in the channels ?

Tech Wizard

Yep.

Tech Convert

Hi Bento and Punky!

Punky, don't worry, even if you got it to work it isn't worth it.

Ok, it would be better if we do this in the forum, so I finally registered I have tried to look at Moldover als file, but quickly gave up, too many stuff in there, way too customized to his hardware too obviously. Did you manage to understand something in it Bento? I don't know which way to start.

The Belvario mixer, I think I understand it more or less (at least enough to replace his vst plug with the new Live 7 comp, which is the easy part), but I'm not sure at all he is doing it the proper way, do you see any similarities with Moldover setup?

Please point me to the Moldover file you are using, been dabbling in this back in July and gave up after hearing the results, this is not fresh in my mind at all at the moment.

Tech Mentor

I've had Moldovers smart mixer work fine in Live 7. Essentially it's just 3 "insert" channels with different EQ settings and then a further 3 with compressors on. What errors are you getting?

I suggest anyone reading this thread read though the comments on this post of Eans - http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/11/19/mix-smart/

I just did a post there in answer to Nico's post but hopefully we can move this discussion here.

Tech Wizard

I actually read that already which was what prompted me to post here - so if someone could show me how to get it to work, I'd appreciate it.

Nico - while I appreciate your advice, I'd like to try Belvario's smart-compression myself before I make any judgments.
    Last edited by Punky; 11-21-2008 at 10:23 AM.

sorry for the offtopic but does anyone have any ideas on how to set up smart compression in other programs say deckadance? i guess one way would be to run dd in ableton as a vst, but could i run a vst in dd that would do the same thing?

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast